Is God Real?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Canceled Fish, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Kyül

Kyül Caged Bird VIP Bronze

As a person who identifies as Agnostic, I really dont believe in the traditional Christian God, or any God for that matter and the events depicted in these religions. I cannot rule out the possibility that the Universe was created from a Higher entity from another dimension messing with our Space Time and causing the Big Bang (very important to distinguish dimensions from universes, look it up). I just personally find no need for a God in my everyday life, and find that Religion in one part is the cause that Human progress was slowed down so much during the infancy of what would become modern science and medicine.

I am a Space and Science geek, and I find that the Universe is so perfect, but at the same time so spontaneous in nature that there is no need for a God to have created it or the life in it. Everything can be traced back to a scientific origin in some way, and it makes sense. The stuff that we dont quite understand like Dark Matter and Dark Energy for the lack of Technology to detect them well (and how there is no real effective theoretic methods to do so) are being labelled as being God manipulating everything from behind nowadays, and I find that to be more proof that Religion is absurd. This is called the "God of the Gaps" argument, which points out that if God is what we dont understand or cant reach, it is inevitably a pocket of human ignorance. Centuries ago we related everything we didnt understand to the paranormal and divine, which is what probably made us so conformist and lazy to want to find out more about ourselves and our environment. The first true Scientists of history where mostly regarded as blasphemous minions of the antichrist and users of dark magic, which was rejected by the church and made a sin. You would be literally excluded from being able to enter "Heaven" just for wanting to know more. The Catholic Church especially was always manipulative and understood that knowledge is power and that people shouldn't be given that. I would go off on such a big rant, but im really tired.

Just know, I dont believe in God. And its not because I grew up lie that or anything. My mother is an incredibly religious Latina who hates me for not believing in God and thinks I will eventually go to hell. With 16 years old, I am happy to say that I formed my own opinion after seeing both sides, and you should do the same. Go read the Bible, or the Q´ran, or the Tora, or any Holy practice; and then go read Science books, Astronomical studies and so on. Then decide which one you think is the most logical option.

I also want to express that I have nothing against anyone who practices a religion, as long as they dont try to influence the real proven science with belief and proof-less based allegations. That is why I admire Buddhism, cause its not a religion but a practice to better yourself and others emotionally, spiritually and physically (im not a Buddhist, but the practice is pretty cool. You should read a bit about it.)

Ill leave you with that...
    -Kyle :angelic:

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Kyül

I feel the same. I used to identify as an Atheist, until I realized that meant "IDK and IDC" in basic terms, and thats not the case for me. I do care since I am a very curious person, so i found that technically I am an Agnostic. I really dont identify as a Darwinist either since that implies many things people who identify as that dont even know about that are pretty absurd. I just a guy of science I guess.

3. Kyül

The thing is, I believe its a bit delusional to say that there is a Heaven because of the fear of there not being one. If its the reality, accept it instead of lying to yourself by believing something you have no proof of. Again, thats just me, you do you and I respect you man.

4. Kyül

This is actually a very good argument. And agree with you on some parts. And it also saddens me to not believe in an Afterlife, but I dont. If there is one, I want to find any possible proof, so that I can rest assured, and spend my eternity eating pizza and playing videogames. But I fear the idea that im lying to myself just to feel better even more frightening. I really do hope there is an Afterlife tho, I just hope that someday we can either prove or disprove that thought.

5. Gonco

Gonco white knight VIP

My first response was a bit of a goof. I'd like to think there's a peaceful afterlife of sorts or just some sort of closure. I'm very big on astronomy in cosmology spent a lot of my life studying it to a point that I doubt many biblical beliefs and catholocism. But I still am not sure what to believe. Maybe there is a god. But a key question is what it was like before u were born was what it's like when you die.

6. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

Why would I put blind faith into something?

Imagine if religion wasn't a thing then someone came up to you and described what heaven was. Do you know how insane that would sound?

Religion was invented to explain how the earth worked. We have equations for that now, but the notion of "God" is still around.

There are three reasons a person believes in a god: redemption or pardon of sin, fear of death, and/or they were raised into it. Logic is not a factor in any of these reasons.

If God is real, and I go to hell, at least I'll have some damn good company (y)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. It wouldn't sound very insane, it is how children are taught religion and religion had to start somewhere. Why would that be insane?

I think it's too presumptuous to say that there cannot be an afterlife or a god.

8. Noctorious

Noctorious Your Best Nightmare VIP Emerald

"hell is other people."

9. God does not exist. I am an atheist but i dont have any problem with other people believing in what they want. That still wont stop me from voicing my opinion which is that god is about as real as pixies.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  10. Python~

Kids are noted for being extremely impressionable. You teach a kid about Santa, they believe it. Then one night they see you stuffing their stockings and their world is shattered. But there's no way to remove the notion of God from their heads until they do some searching of their own, if they even choose to do that.

My example was not tailored to children anyhow. I asked how YOU would take information like that as you are today. Of course, assuming everyone was atheist

I do agree that religion plays a major role in culture and one's moral compass, but the origin is dumbfounded compared to what can be seen nowadays

11. Silent Rebel

Silent Rebel Lead Shitposter VIP

In all seriousness, I am agnostic. There is no evidence to refute a higher power, but there's also no evidence to support it, so I'll remain agnostic until evidence presents itself. If I die beforehand, I think god would be a pretty understanding dude. Would god believe in himself if he was put in my position? Probably not. If a higher power exists, it would exist outside of the relevance of religion. Pretty sure it wouldn't give a shit if I went to church or not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Python~

So what was life like before you were born? You were nothing before, what makes you so sure you can't be nothing again?

Do stars and planets have a purpose besides our own Earth and Sun? Seems like the stars just burn, fade, and die, trillions of lightyears away. There is no purpose to your existance, like there is no purpose for an irrelevant star. Live and enjoy life rather than looking forward to death

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Chastity4lyfe

Chastity4lyfe *Eye roll* VIP Silver

I created a thread awhile ago discussing religion - which actually turned out not toxic in the slightest which was nice.

I do believe in God, I have seen shit in my day and life that isn't even possible for man to do so yeeee. (y)

14. Doctor Smurfenstein

Doctor Smurfenstein Active member Banned VIP

Short answer: no.

Long answer: noooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  15. Jaysu

Jaysu BAMF VIP

I mean to be quite honest,

Growing up in a family of buddhist and with a mom who is quite religious and a dad half as religious, it was hard to not get influenced by them. The thought of "Does God really exist?" or "Why are we doing this?" never crossed me. I just, did it. I never really wanted to question why since I was taught that way when I was a kid. Everyone here believe in a god, but when you don't believe, it feels weird to be that one person, so you just keep on believing.

But as I grow up, I start to contemplate why. It felt weird to me to believe in something that I are not sure if exist or not. The respect is still there and I do not condemn, but it felt really weird. Who is to prove that God exists? I wish to believe but there are no solid evidence. Sometimes I just think maybe people believe in order to satisfy themselves, that they believe in something.

Lmao TLDR; No.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Kyül

I can relate 100%. My mom is a fanatic Latino Catholic (like most Latinos) and she was very close minded about me not blindly believing in her god. As a kid I was raisee in that strict Catholic enviroment and I never questioned anything. But I neber felt connected with God in any way, I just didnt care. I find its a mistake to raise kids with religion and make them believe that is the only thing that is right. As @Python~ said kids are like sponges, and I believe one should wait until they are mature enough to teach them more about both religion and science, so they can follow their own path, not their parents.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. I am an atheist.

I do not believe in the existence of any god.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Graze

Graze Zzz... VIP Silver

I'd like to be an Atheist, but there is no evidence that there is no god. I am agnostic and believe that all atheists are just closeted agnostics.

19. Python~

See the argument against atheists is just that "you can't disprove God." Regardless of what facts are brought to the table, none can disprove what nobody knows. I find that path of logic kind of irrational.

Take this as an example of how absurd this logic sounds: if I place you in an empty room with no entrances or exits, then turn the lights off, you can't prove there is nothing is in the room. Even though you just saw that it was empty, there is no way to know for sure it remained that way after the lights turned off.

Atheists use common sense whereas Agnostics can't make up their mind. They're like pessimists and optimists in a way.

20. Kyül

I agree 100% with your logic but I dont see it that way. I as an agnostic dont really want to push other people into not believing in god, even though I find it absurd. Not all agnostics think the same and I think that is the case right now. Most atheists just dont giev a fuck about creation and the origin of the universe and anything in it, but I do, and thats the only reason I dont identify as one.