Is God Real?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Canceled Fish, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Do you believe in God or a god? Why or why not?

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Mr. Disco

Mr. Disco Jeff Lynne is a musical genius. VIP

jesus christ not one of these threads.

just put it this way.

if you die since there's "no heaven" to some people. where would you go? Just you die. Basically as if earth isn't a thing and you are not a thing anymore. Like you are ended, gone like why are you even here right now if the point is to just go to like nothing. no it's not nothing, there's nothing to call it because at that point you like are just dead. black black fucking gone poof no earth no heaven no hell no eternal eternal life. just fucking dead. idk maybe the emos were right

i believe in God

3. Noctorious

Noctorious Your Best Nightmare VIP Emerald

I don't believe in god. Because I don't.

4. Gonco

Gonco white knight VIP

God is real. He blesses me every day. I go to school happy I get to see my friends, and my loved ones are healthy. God truly has blessed me :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mr. 7-Minute Wonder

Mr. 7-Minute Wonder Regular Member

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. Lemon

Lemon ideal male moderator VIP Silver

inb4 lock

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mr. Disco

Mr. Disco Jeff Lynne is a musical genius. VIP

just plz follow this scripture xd

8. Okay, so say Christianity is not the correct religion. Do you still believe in a god?

9. neutral

neutral Banned VIP

This may actually be surprising to some because there's the stereotype that there is this clash between science and religion, however yes. I do believe in God.

However- as I become more and more involved in my studies, and become more and more interested in the detail in how everything works I just can't believe that everything has come together and works as beautifully as it does and as often as it does.

As a scientist, I have to believe in the illogical to understand the logical. And I'm okay with this.

Furthermore, I don't want to live in a world where there is a day that I will never see my son again. Whether it's after my death, or, god forbid, it's after his, I want to spend eternity with my son.

So yes. I believe in God.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Mr. 7-Minute Wonder

Mr. 7-Minute Wonder Regular Member

I do not. I've seen no need for a being that is so cruel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Not all gods are cruel or "personal" gods.

12. CorallocinB

CorallocinB Animeme lord VIP Silver Emerald

no

i dont believe in donut god

the god of gods

the messiah or even G O D

not even my personal partner god

im just me

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Silent Rebel

Silent Rebel Lead Shitposter VIP

when you die you just realize how much heaven sucks because all the dogs went to dog heaven

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Squidd

Squidd VIP

I don't believe in much else other than once we die that's it. Nothing after.
    No Gods, No Devils, No Heavens or Hells. Just eternal nothing. Part of life (to me, that is) is accepting that, and living your relatively short existence the way you see fit.

Not that any of that really matters. Earth, and most likely the solar system, will be gone in a few billion years, and we probably won't be able to escape the fate of mankind being wiped out by forces outside of our control. (Unless of course we wipe ourselves out first) Everything we know, love, hate. Eeeeeverything. All gone. Nothing remains forever.

15. tz-

tz- feelin it VIP Emerald

For people who do not believe in God/Religion what do you identify yourself as? Do you say you're atheist, agnostic, or something else?
    Personally, I don't really know what I am, I used say that I'm atheist but I feel like that just makes it seem like I'm the type of person to say "God isn't real, I don't believe in him and neither should you," but that's not the case.
    I can understand and accept why people have religious beliefs, but I wasn't part of a family that taught "This (God, science, etc.) is the reason why things are the way the are" I was just taught "Things are the way the are."
    So what does make me? Am I agnostic or something else? Because I honestly don't even know what it means to be agnostic...

• Like Like x 3
  16. Squidd

Squidd VIP

I think it's fine to just accept your way of living or believing in what you believe in without adding labels for very complex beliefs just as an attempt to simplify it. I don't know what I'd call myself , but I don't really care to have a single word for it either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Agnosticism is basically you don't know whether he's real or not, so you don't disrespect him or anything or disbelieve, but you just simply don't know. That's basically what I am. If God was real, he'd certainly have an explanation for why things are the way they are. I can see how God could be the creator of the universe and I can see how the universe could just have appeared in itself. Both of those possibilities make sense to me but because we will likely never find out which is the truth, I have to accept that I won't know, I guess. I have to say though, living after death seems like magic and I don't understand how the afterlife would work. No brain, no consciousness, right? I wasn't aware until I was born so idk why I'd be aware after I die, unless something happened billions of years in the future and the universe completely restarts and I'm reborn again or something crazy like that. The concept of being dead for eternal oblivion really is incomprehensible. Not until the end of time, but dead until time doesn't even exist anymore. And then longer than that. It's almost as crazy as thinking about how there could be nothing if the universe wasn't here. How would nothing exist? It doesn't make sense. It just simply wouldn't exist, I guess, just like we simply do. I'm so fucking euphoric right now

18. Zikeji

Zikeji Repoleved VIP Emerald

I was raised by religious parents, but consider myself theist-agnostic now. "An agnostic theist believes in the existence of a god or God, but regards the basis of this proposition as unknown or inherently unknowable."

Whether or not one religion gets it right, if there is a God I simply cannot support them, as they made / allowed / had a role in making this world as fucked up as it is. History is written by humans, history is guided by humans. We fucked up our reality ourselves, and there was never intervention from a higher power to prevent it. Regardless of the logic each individual religion tries to apply to justify a god's (or multiples gods) lack of preventing travesty, those entities do not deserve my respect, and certainly do not deserve my faith.

• Like Like x 1
  19. zomborg

zomborg "She's like a little Satan." - CDriscoll 2015 VIP

I used to believe in God.

I, like many other children, was raised with religion. I was raised in a Lutheran family, went to a Lutheran church until I was 15 and went to a Lutheran bible camp for 3 weeks during the summer every summer from the ages of 4-14.

However, I do not believe in God. I have seen many things, both in my life and in others, that make me think "if there is a God, why would they do this?" On the same hand, I used to teach church school because I believe there are fundamentals in religion that should be taught to children; such as don't lie, don't steal, etc etc. Thankfully they were too young to realize the inconsistencies of the Bible and the Quran and many other religious texts that I've read..

All I had to do was teach them to be kind and in return, they loved me. Their parents loved me. Though I didn't believe, these little children grew with kindness in their hearts. Perhaps one day they will decide not to believe themselves, but I hope that they think of their church school teacher- who had tattoos and colorful hair- and be reminded of what it was like to show love to others even if you don't believe in the same things.

I think it is ignorant to say that there is nothing out there- but I don't think it's some omnipotent being. If I had to believe in something, I'd choose Buddhism for the simple fact that a lot of their teaching is based off of karma and the Four Noble Truths. If I had to believe in something and put a name on it, Buddhism would be it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. [GG] Matt

[GG] Matt VIP

I dont, Reason being because

• Agree Agree x 1