iDubbbz's opinion on a "special word"

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by MikeOTR, Feb 7, 2017.

1. MikeOTR

MikeOTR VIP

What do you think about the way iDubbbz explains the N word in his video? I bring it up because a lot of people use it in the server and SOMETIMES they use it in a way that's not ment to be racist. As someone who grew up in the ghetto, I've seen the word be thrown around like it's nothing and now a days it really doesn't mean anything racist anymore unless the person wants it to sound and/or mean racist.

VIDEO IN QUESTION:
    ^watch starting at 7:20 (I can't figure out how to force it to start there via link for some reason it just doesn't let it be posted)

(Please let's be mature about this)

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. nikki

nikki Dutch female gamer: cocky, rude/toxic. VIP Bronze

totally agree with '' taking the power out of the word '' it happened to the word '' faggot '' aswell which basically doesnt hold any weight anymore, because it's so overused.

• Like Like x 2
  3. MikeOTR

MikeOTR VIP

And at this point the only meaning it has is for those who want it to be racist. At this point, it's better to let it be a joke than some messed up term

4. Kyül

Kyül Caged Bird VIP Bronze

I think hes totally right. I will probably be tagged as racist by saying the things I will say, but im ready. Im german, and we dont hold these words in such high regard, people domt get offended by them, so there is no incentive for people to use it, hence either we dont use them or when we say them its as a minor or " friendly " insult. I had a rough time when I started playing here because I was not aware that the "f-word" was such a bad thing, so I said it many times, and it even got me banned one time. People think its more of a universal thing, but I think, from what ive seen living for extended periods of time in different parts of the world, that Americans make it a problem. Before you start disliking let me explain. Im NOT saying Americans ARE the problem, but they make it a problem in the first place. You see, contrary to popular believe, you can choose to get offended by things, and not to. Calling it boh the n and f word, trying to ban it and censor it, even to the point where YOU CANT EVEN SAY IT QUOTING SOMEONE OR SAYING IT WITH CONTEXT. There is a difference between me saying " You dirty n-word " and " The slave owners tagged them as n-words " (picturing I say the word itself) . Censoring the word to such an extent is just giving it power to offend. I bet if we were free to say these words, after only a few months or even less, no one would be offended. People these days get offended by anything, even if it doesnt have to do with them. I find it extremely childish that we have to say (blank) word to be socially accepted, even if we dont say it in a racist or degrading way. Let me say that again, CHILDISH. Like we are kids that cant know what penises and vaginas are.

What I meant by saying Americans make the problem worse, is you give those words that extreme power, and get offended by any mention of it. Im not saying that only happens in America either, but its the source of it. All you have to do, including the rest of the world, as iDubbbz said, start saying the world openly when needed (in context), and dont jedge other people for saying it and tag them as racists.

Many will disagree with me, and its ok, but I have been frustrated with this for a long time, and seeing iDubbbz talk so well about such a delicate topic made me realize that I was not alone thinking this. Again, before calling me a racist and disliking me, just think about the whole concept. This n and f word thing is a repeating cycle of offense, censorship, and therefore use to offend. If we dont censor it and stop getting offended, nobody will be able to offend anyone with them, making them obsolete insults. Thats just my view on it. If you disagree, lets agree to disagree, or respond to this post saying why you think im wrong.

Man, this was draining.
    See you around
    -Kyle :penguin:

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Carned

Carned ✘o ✘o VIP Silver Emerald

I knew there was a reason why i hated these vloggers cause its all about fucking attention and making shit up for attention.

I don't really follow this iDubbz bloke and this is the first video I've watched of his but he does make interesting points about how shes just current "issues" as a label to attach herself too.

As for the who debate you're bringing up, I pretty much agree, I personally don't get offended or upset about whatever anyone says, its just a word to me, so I feel that his "all is ok or none is okay" is pretty good state to put things in.

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. MikeOTR

MikeOTR VIP

@Kyle the Penguin did not know you were german, surprised.
    Anyways I grew up in New Jersey and well the ghetto was just African Americans and hispanics everything else thrown together. People use the word as a friendly thing here like for example; "Hey what's good my n---a" (I ain't getting banned for typing the whole word) or just pointing something out like "damn n---a, that's crazy." It's used here like the word "dude" would be used in other places. Note that I didn't type "N----R" the hard R is often just bad no matter what. So in a way it's kinda like two different words here. If it ends with an "A" then it's good like dude, but if it ends with a "R" then you're fucked.

I think at this point is that people get upset for other people's problems even if those problems don't exist. Does that make sense?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. StrayHunter

StrayHunter Emerald

• This user has been warned for inappropriate language.
    nigger

• Dumb Dumb x 10
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. Yatty ☄️

Yatty ☄️ Yatt'em VIP Silver

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

Alright boys and girls let me go ahead and explain to yall where idubbbztv is coming from.

He has said on multiple occasions that he dislikes being limited by the confines of political correctness. He isn't trying to get a sort of shock value out of the audience, and he uses the N word in context of what he is doing. Someone calls him the N word? He'll use it. He's making a joke about such things, he'll use it. It's not as if he is using the word in a context that is harmful. Now you want to apply that to a server enviroment and you know what the players are doing? They are using that word for shock value. They WANT to offend someone, either by jokingly saying it or by actively saying it. This is not what anyone should stand for, and i'm sure IDubbbztv wouldn't agree with that.

all of it is allowed, or none of it is.

None of it is. :)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. MikeOTR

MikeOTR VIP

I dislike your opinion but I'm also extremely tired and running off 4 cups of coffee sooooo send me nudes

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Zack

Zack Shepherd of Fire VIP

"It's either all okay, or none of it is okay"

• Like Like x 2
  12. ridge

ridge VIP

"That's the thing, that's just a word. You can take the power out of things. You choose to be offended. If you're a black person and get offended when someone calls you a nigga, then maybe you are a nigga. I'm black, when people call me a nigga, I don't get offended, cause I know that i'm not that. " - Tyler the creator to Arsenio Hall

"Yeah I feel the same way, I think Nigga is too good of a word to waste on black people!" - Arsenio Hall to Tyler the Creator

In my opinion there is a difference between a -er and a -a ending

• Like Like x 1
  13. Kyül

Kyül Caged Bird VIP Bronze

My problem as stated above is not the use of the word, but instead the stupid censorship of any mention of it, even in a quote or in context. People saying context doesnt matter are just straight up ignorant, because context in there for a reason. And I really do find people get offended by what they want these days. The way you say it or what you mean doesnt matter anymore, what matters is what the person feels is offensive or not, and thats stupid. This doesnt just apply to nigga, or n---er, but to any possible insult or just noun there is. People are victimizing themselves to such an extreme that I can call you a banana and you can take that as like a racial slur. Its like humanity went back to kindergarten and everyone gets offended by anything, but in this case its even more dreadful because they know its not an insult, but they use it to victimize themselves.

The key is simple: Stop caring so much and grow up.
    Im sorry if I may sound a bit harsh or toxic, since thats not my intention. I just wish to help spread this ideology and make people understand the problem so they can erradicate it (if they consider it a problem and they wish to, not forcing anybody)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. ridge

ridge VIP

100% agree. I grew up in the "hood" or "ghetto" so saying Nigga is like using the word "Bro". As long as you're using it respectfully, no one gives a fuck. The first time I saw people actually caring about it was when I went on the internet and people were looking for any reason to get mad about it.

Black friends - Nigga is cool
    Gay & Bisexual friends - No problem with saying "faggot"

People really need to stop caring and realize that these words are close to meaningless

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. MikeOTR

MikeOTR VIP

This reminds of a video I saw of some chick being sad for a black girl at a starbucks because she's black and has a future without knowing who the person is. You're right, people should stop being sad or offended for other people because those other people don't care. I'm Hispanic and I'm not even in the slightest way offended when someone calls another Hispanic person a beaner. I AM WHAT I EAT AFTER ALL. (That means I'm also a pussy :^) )

• Like Like x 1
  16. MikeOTR

MikeOTR VIP

That being said, is it bad when people say nigga in the server even if it's out of habit? Like when I use a mic and get upset I sometimes say "nigga what the fuck?" why? Because it's the way I talk irl (when I'm pissed)

17. ridge

ridge VIP

Your signature says you're an asshole. You eating ass too my g?

Jokes, but dude that video sounds so sus lol, that seems more offensive than anything else. I'm also mexican and all my friends call me Spic, Beaner, Borderhopper or whatever, I just think that shits funny.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. ridge

ridge VIP

I always say nigga, just because that's also how I normally talk in real life, no one seems to have a problem, except 1 mod like 2 years ago who would find any reason to mute me, lol. I think if you use it obsessively though, they see it as a problem.

19. MikeOTR

MikeOTR VIP

Mainly when I'm really upset or when my best friend on his very rare moments joins the server. I'm Puerto Rican, but I still get all the mexican sterotypes thrown at me because people are too stupid and they only see what they want to see.
    If I find it, I'll post a link to the video here

20. Salem

Salem VIP

This word has been used for many many many years and has been deemed a derogatory term since the 1800's. I do get that not everybody is offended by words but it does not change that this word has practically always been a word used to put down others and make them feel inferior. The word itself carries its history along with it and honestly, it's much like talking about the confederate flag because people have different beliefs etc. However, the history is still there and always will be. It is a word filled with hatred and disgust and even though there are cases where people are not meaning to use the word as such- it is still that same word it as always been.

Everybody is focused on "oh nobody should be offended by this stupid word" or "it's not even meant to harm them" etc simply due to the fact that they themselves and some friends take no harm or feel no pain when the word is used in certain contexts or used towards them. That does not mean that everybody does not take offense nor does it mean they are wrong for getting upset over something that has always been a word used to hurt and demean people. In all honestly, whether or not you take offense is not the problem or the reason it should be allowed.

People are allowed to get upset over things you may not find offensive.

It does not make them sensitive and stupid, and honestly saying people are victimizing themselves makes others feel like their feelings and their opinions do not matter strictly due to the fact they do not hold the same belief system you do.

What you do outside of the server or with your friends does not equal the gold standard for everyone else and "censoring" yourself and using the "a" ending instead of hard r ending isn't much of a problem.

Yes, this is 2017. Yes, maybe you do not take offense to it or maybe you "have black friends" that don't take offense to it.

That does not mean nobody does, and it doesn't mean they are wrong or "victimizing" themselves for feeling hurt over a word that was practically created to put a bunch of people down and make them feel inferior.

There is a difference between -er and -a. And in my personal opinion allowing the -er ending on the server would end up causing much more trouble than simply asking people to "censor" themselves when on the server.

You don't know the background or the lives of the people you may run into on the server, you don't know why it might upset them. There is no need to state they are wrong for feeling upset.

This stands for stereotypes, racist jokes, homophobic slurs- everything some people may personally feel is no big deal could mean a whole lot to someone else. And that's okay. Is it so wrong that we should want to make others feel comfortable and welcome instead of scared, shut down, and worthless?

My opinion is not meant to make people upset either, simply putting my two cents out there and trying to help people understand.

Pacifist said it perfectly-

all of it is allowed, or none of it is.

None of it is.

• Dumb Dumb x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1