I got scammed yesterday

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Scrungy, Sep 29, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Scrungy

Scrungy VIP

It was a learning experience I guess. Please make fun of me. Thanks.

• Confusing Confusing x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

I'll never understand how you managed to get scammed by someone like this

[​IMG]

You'll have your account back within the week

3. Dodley27

Dodley27 Dolfin VIP Bronze

Lol what a fuckin noob get scammed

4. MemeDaddy

MemeDaddy VIP

Lmao fucking rekt

5. Panduh

Panduh I love ass VIP

how did you even get scammed smh

6. Scrungy

Scrungy VIP

I think i was on an extra xan or something. Idk how i fell for it.

7. Scrungy

Scrungy VIP

Poopoo peepee i am stoopiid

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

Wait like, they pretend to be admins on steam, or they are admins on steam?

9. Cash

Cash I staff the proper way Banned VIP

it was a scam which do you think

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Scrungy

Scrungy VIP

Funny thing is, i used to go out of my way to get called by scammers and shit. But like im dumb and forgot a lot of shit and that happened.

11. Tony Danza

Tony Danza Regular Member

Bruh I'll trim your full Addy for 50 GP

12. tz-

tz- feelin it VIP Emerald

bro only 50gp 1 sec

13. Cash

Cash I staff the proper way Banned VIP

I'll trim your full rune for 75gp instead

14. iii

iii eye-eye-eye or triple eye is fine VIP

I'm curious, what was the scam?

15. Scrungy

Scrungy VIP

So a guy that was on my friends list was also scammed by the same guy. This guy takes over his account and messages people posing as him. So this guy says he accidentally reported me and said I will get banned if I dont talk to a steam admin about it. He gives me an account and tells me to message him. I message him and he somehow convinces me that hes a steam administrator (i know i am retarded). The scammer got into my account after he asked me for a code. Simple as that he got into my account and changed my password. He then tells me that if I give him 50 bucks he can let me back into my account and if I didnt, he would delete my account. After I realized I was scammed I had a panick attack. I fell asleep after messaging steam that I was ransomed. I wake up and see that my account was back to normal only to realize that the fucker messaged people I had on just like the guy who messaged me. I think the scammer’s account got banned but he has definitely got other victims and probably has plenty of alts. If you get messaged something along the lines of “Hello Hello sorry to disturb you i may have reported you to a steam admin on accident super very sorry” please be careful and try to ask if you can talk over voice or something. I fell for it, many others have, please dont.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

The second my "friend" messaged me, I was skeptical because it didn't sound anything like him. When he asked me to add someone else I knew it was a scam, so I played along.

Just ask questions. "Why doesn't it say you're an admin on SR?, how are you gonna delete my account?, how could I get banned for an accidental report?, what items did I duplicate?" etc. The more questions you ask the more absurd they sound, because at some point they're making shit up and you can catch them in a lie or they're avoiding questions there is no reason they should be avoiding if they were legit.

If someone you haven't messaged in months/years send you a link or asks you to add someone within 2 minutes of you talking, they've most likely been scammed and the scammer took over their account. And more often than not, the person you add sounds exactly like your "friend".

And this one should be obvious: never give your password or codes of any kind to anyone, ever. Steam literally tells you this when you begin a convo on steam.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Rozboon

Rozboon Forgive and Forget, or just forget. VIP

Just embrace the chance that you might get banned, and take the opportunity to tell a steam admin(most of the time it's fake) to fuck off. Best way to not get scammed.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  18. Jabba the Slut

Jabba the Slut That's Kinky! Lead Admin VIP Silver

[​IMG]

19. Espurr

Espurr #AlwaysStabEspurr Administrator VIP

Hey, that guy tried me last week. He's a little meat

20. iii

iii eye-eye-eye or triple eye is fine VIP

@Scrungy
    While it's usually automated scams that go to that level of detail, I've read online that you should make sure to do these things(taken from steamrep's guide: https://forums.steamrep.com/pages/hijacking/):

[​IMG]

Potentially do this as well along with step 1: Generate new back up codes: https://store.steampowered.com/twofactor/manage

Image Links:
    ?.) See past logins: https://help.steampowered.com/en/accountdata/SteamLoginHistory
    2.) Deauthorize devices: https://store.steampowered.com/twofactor/manage
    3.) Revoke steam web API: https://steamcommunity.com/dev/apikey

Otherwise scammers with an automated system can do this:
    [​IMG]