How to Search for Things on the Forums

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Python~, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

Hello. It has been painfully obvious for the past few years that we have many members - young or old, toxic or pure, shitposter or content creator - that don't know how to properly search for things on the forums

So, as the title state, this is an in-depth guide on how to do exactly that. By the end of reading this, there is no possible way you could fuck it up ever again. I'm tired of seeing the same exact fucking suggestion over and ov-
    Part 1: Locating the Search Bar

Alright so we're gonna need to use those eyes of yours.
    The Search Bar is on every page on SGM, so no matter where you are, follow these simple steps:
    1. Focus your eyes on the center of the screen
    2. Imagine your screen is a clock (I know, it's difficult for your brain to handle, but stay with me), and the time is about 1:55 PM
    3. Follow the imaginary hour hand with your eyes all the way to the tip top and you should be able to see the Search Bar
    This is what it should look like:
    [​IMG]
    Clicking on this will provide a drop-down. Don't be scared! I know it's a lot to take in, but we'll get to that in a moment.
    First, for reference, this is what a clock looks like
    [​IMG]

Congratulations! You've completed the first step on your way to avoid looking like a complete moron!
    Part 2: Types of Search Bars

Now, there are two search bars depending on which part of the forums you are on

One is when you are not in a subforum. This includes the home page, shoutbox, the server list, the member list, etc. Basically everything that is not a subforum.

The other - and if you have more than a 10 brain cells, you may have already figured it out - is when you ARE in a subforum

So let's go over the differences, shall we?
    Part 3: The Differences and How to Use

The only difference is that the subforum search bar has the option to Search that specific subforum, and can display the results as threads
    Main Menu Uses
    [​IMG]

The main menu search bar is good for looking up members of the community -- though, banned members will not show up. The members are shown to the right of the screen (3 o-clock in reference to the picture)

It can also be used to look up threads in any of the subforums. Typing in a word or phrase will give you a threads' messages with that word or phase within them. Words must be longer than 2 words, however, which may be difficult for those who need this guide.

You can also search for words or phrases that specifically show up in the titles of threads by clicking the white box that says "Search titles only". I know, blows your fucking mind doesn't it.

You can also search for posts that are 'Newer Than' a certain date but nobody uses it so whatever let's move on
    Subforum Uses
    [​IMG]
    The subforum search bar can do the exact same stuff that the main menu can, only it's slightly more specific

You can still look up members of the community, and this has no difference between the main menu and subforum search bars. However, looking up a word or phrase in this search bar will confine it to that subforum, and display the comments
    Don't worry, the option to search that forum is automatically selected, so you don't have to worry feeble minds with having to click a white box this time around.

However, if you're feeling up to the challenge, you can click the "Display results as threads" button and all results will lead you to the thread with that word or phrase within it, not just the comment
    This is good if you want to find a thread, but only remember a comment made on that thread, and not the title.
    Part 4: Applying your Knewfound Knowledge
    Now you may be asking yourself "Why would I need to know this? All I want to do is create suggestions, ask questions, report bugs, or make a thread on a political stance that will be closed within 3 days. This couldn't possibly help me!"

Well now, my retarded friend, stop screeching, because it does indeed help!

What if, and hear me out, that that suggestion was already created, that question was already answered, that bug was already reported, and that political thread was already closed.
    That way, you don't have to create another thread for the same concept again and again and agAiN aNd AgiAn AND AGAiN.​

Part 5: Visuals

I created a helpful tutorial video I further explain how to use the search bar, or for users who are too disabled to read/understand the words larger than 4 letters in this thread

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    • Winner x 4
    • Funny x 3
    • Optimistic x 2
    • Useful x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
  2. TLCFanboy

TLCFanboy (◕‿◕✿) VIP Bronze

LOL love the first image in the beginning of your video. Nice tutorial though :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. Machinekiller00

Machinekiller00 I <3 Gunter VIP Silver

The notepad and the music. Brings back good memories. What ever happened to that age of youtube :(

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1