Gun Game Spawn Protection suggestion

Discussion in 'Fun Rounds' started by Magmaaaaaaa, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Darktooth

Darktooth I was #1 VIP

Bumping this up, as I thought about this after playing GunGame this morning on Terrortrain and I struggled to even get a few shots in before getting ravaged..

I'll have a talk with @Highwon about this! :) Thanks for the suggestion!

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. I did it. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  3. Silent Rebel

Silent Rebel Lead Shitposter VIP

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  4. Mr. Disco

Mr. Disco Jeff Lynne is a musical genius. VIP

So what did highwon say? I think there should be spawn protection for 10 seconds or until you move or shoot.

5. Darktooth

Darktooth I was #1 VIP

I brought this up to Disruptionz and Highwon and @Disruptionz in particular was very against the idea. Don't be disappointed; the suggestion isn't denied until we say so. :)

I can bring it up again. Sorry for no mention from us. I didn't want to give a yes or no until I got a definite answer, which is hard to get sometimes.

If you really want to vent your disappointment, please vent your disappointment towards the ones who are against the idea. Thank you!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Carned

Carned ✘o ✘o VIP Silver Emerald

@Disruptionz WHY DO U HATE THIS IDEA HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?

EXPLAIN YOURSELF

please

• Like Like x 1
  7. Darktooth

Darktooth I was #1 VIP

I've left a note on @Highwon's pillow.

#PrayForSpawnProtection

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Thanks :c

9. While I am not vehemently against spawn protection as Darktooth may make it out to be, my various experiences with spawn protection systems over my years of gaming have definitely influenced my opinions of them in a negative manner.

Take CS:GO for example: Valve's deathmath servers incorporate their version of spawn protection in which a player is invincible for the first few seconds of their spawn whereby they may aim and look around, and will stay in that state until they either shoot or move around. This enables player's to pre-aim other players with complete disregard for reaction time and fair play.

This is unbelievably frustrating as there is little to no counterplay. You either strafe around your spawn protected opponent in the hopes that their aim is abysmal or you get shot by another player to no fault of your own; since if you were to turn and shoot the other player, you would surely be shot by your initial target. Combined with the fact that deathmatch has no respawn timer and that dozens of players are spawning every minute, it makes for a generally unenjoyable experience.

Due to Valve's system, I choose to play on community based deathmatch servers where there is no spawn protection; you need to rely on raw aim, situation awareness and reaction time to be successful.

For our server and gamemode, I feel the problem lies not in the lack of spawn protection, but in the spawns themselves. Maps such as TerrorTrain, Estate and HairyHouse have ridiculously poor spawns that make it unplayable, and even with spawn protection, I feel the problems and complaints would only rise and effectively serve no purpose whatsoever.

My opinion on a fix for the gamemode would be a complete rearm of the spawns for the maps that need it and perhaps a cooldown of the spawn-point for a few seconds thereby preventing a player from spawning instantly right as you spawn. While it is surely more work to get a system such as this up and running, for longevity's sake, it seems to me, at least, to be a more complete solution. (Obviously there would be more specific intricacies myself and Highwon would have to work out for this idea, as my statement above is meant to convey a base idea)

Spawn protection isn't off the table yet, but I feel we could do better.

EDIT: Or if anything, we incorporate a system that removes the protection once any action is taken, such as moving the mouse or moving around.

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 3
    • Winner x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Useful x 1
  10. Carned

Carned ✘o ✘o VIP Silver Emerald

Well, you make a damn good case.

I hope you guys sort something anyway.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. AAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAA coolgamer VIP

Dont forget the king of bad spawns. Innocentmotel

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Darktooth

Darktooth I was #1 VIP

My original case to combat this "cheesing" would be for three types of protection disabling:
    • After a full 2 seconds, protection disables
    • After moving in any direction, protection disables
    • After clicking mouse (or subsequently using +fire), protection disables
    This counterbalances the possibility for laming out in invincibility. Doesn't seem like too big of a problem.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. If you can't move w/o disabling invincibility then 2 seconds is not enough. People can still spawn trap

14. Darktooth

Darktooth I was #1 VIP

It's dependent on how much time someone realistically needs to take to realize the position they are in. Most of the reason why it's hard right now is because it's jarring to instantly spawn and instantly die. A few seconds to recognize where you are should be enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Paradox

Paradox The One Eyed Ghoul Banned Elite

@RaRa i wouldn't say that much as @Disruptionz posts says enough being able to aim and not be able to die gives a huge unfair advantege over players who are getting kills maybe 3 seconds? @Darktooth if a player takes more then 3 seconds to realise they are in game and need to do something they'll get killed and then realise if that makes any sense.