Good Internet Routers

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Wojack, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Wojack

Wojack Her king :3 VIP

Hey all,
    Most of you probably don't know me, but I post here every once in awhile when I need help with something, or when I am actually active on the servers. But with that said, the internet in my house is fucking unbearable (there's 6 of us, sometimes 7) on one router at the same time, so trying to play games is... a fucking disaster. So do any of you guys have a good recommendation for a router that you use? Also, if you can't name off a specific one, do you think 340 mbps is fine for one person using it only?
    Thanks for the help in advance, I miss you all and love you all lololol

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Chai

Chai returned; VIP

340 mbps huh?
    You mean the router is capable to support up to 340mbps?

From my previous purchase experience, I'll get a ASUS router any time.
    It really depends what you're looking for - Wireless technology(B/G/N/AC), AC is the latest wireless standard that supports up to 1 Gigabit connection.
    Do you need a USB hub in your router so that it supports LAN printer or NAS(Network Attached Storage)?
    Basically you can stick a USB pendrive in your router and it acts a mini storage drive over the air(Not the best but hey it works).

Or you're planning to use Ethernet aka Wired connection which is more stable than wireless connection, obviously.

If you're not looking for these features(AC technology and USB hub), just get a usual one. A budget friendlier one.
    Of course, a good router would be able to manage the network traffic better but ultimately it really depends on your actual network speed/configuration from your ISP.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Zikeji

Zikeji Repoleved VIP Emerald

As @Chai stated, the bigger factor to consider here is your ISP's connections. However, a better router can handle more throughput and may have better QoS (quality of service) rules to optimize whatever connection you have from your ISP.

I used a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 for a while and would recommend it - however it may be a bit costly for you.

4. Wojack

Wojack Her king :3 VIP

I looked into it; will probably end up buying that. If you say it's worth it, it's worth the cost.
    Thanks!

5. Zikeji

I mean, you just gotta look at reviews :p. Was a wildly popular router a couple years ago.

6. Daddy Nexxus

Daddy Nexxus Toxi-Fessional VIP

Don't use WiFi for gaming/downloading/etc. Just use powerline adapters. It might be slower (depends on how nice your house wiring is) but it will likely be more stable than WiFi. If you absolutely need WiFi look in to (definitely) a dual band router. You will be looking in the price range of 125-175 from what you mentioned.

Examples:

Asus RT-68U
    TP-Link AC2600
    Linksys EA7300

Netgear Nighthawk series

etc etc

7. Zikeji

I would recommend against powerline adapters, especially if you're living in either a large house or an apartment. That being said, buying a couple to test out and then returning them is always an option (an option I had to take).

Wireless AC is more than fine. I see ~2% loss using AC instead of ethernet (though my ISP is only 60/4) and I can max out LAN traffic easily. Keep in mind with AC you may need to get an AC adapter for your desktop or laptop if you want to fully utilize it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Daddy Nexxus

What's wrong with powerline adapters and why would you recommend against them?

9. Zikeji

What's wrong with WiFi and why are you telling him not to use it? You're demanding I explain when you never explained yourself. I would agree that anything other than Wireless AC is a no-go. But with enough technical know-how and a smartphone you can easily put your AC on an unused/low traffic channel and not run into issues even in an apartment environment.
    As for powerline - they're too much of a wildcard. They do not cope well with old wiring or bad wiring. For example when I used it, the powerline connection would go to shit if someone used a microwave. That's an anecdote, so other experiences may vary. I would definitely recommend OP try it out if he has the funds, but not to cross his fingers.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Daddy Nexxus

You took my question way too personally........................................................... I was simply asking what your backing was for suggesting against them, as I was curious.

As a professional IT and technical consulter, I can tell you that powerline adapters in general are much more benefitial to gamers than any wireless protocal. It's not so much the thorouput we're worried about so much as the latency. AC/N/G/B have unavoidable interference (much more so then powerline adapters).

I'm sorry your personal experience with them went poorly. I can advise you, though, that if MICROWAVES were ingressing in to your power lines at home you have a serious issue and need an electrician to diagnose it.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Zikeji

Both technologies are affected adversely by environmental conditions and are both worse than proper wired :p. Guess we can leave it at that ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Daddy Nexxus

Absolutely ! That's why I have Cat6 throughout the house :)