Answered GMod physics as common sense

Discussion in 'Questions & Answers' started by Cereal KiIler, Aug 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cereal KiIler

Cereal KiIler gib banan VIP

I'll explain what I meant with a well-know example of GMod physics:
    When a player dies from a bullet or an explosion, his body will fall to the direction opposite the direction the bullet/explosion came from (ex: bullet came from the left, his body will fall to the right).

So my question is, can GMod physics, this time body direction falling, be used as a common sense, as in my example, determining the direction the shot came from?

I'll give an example of a situation that occurred to me:

I was on 67thway, down at the tester floor, at the entrance to that floor.
    Player A was standing in intersection of all the 3 corridors there, near me.
    I heard a silenced pistol shot, and Player A's body fell to the right (I was looking at the direction opposite to the one leading to the tester), so I assumed the shot came from the left.
    I entered the corridor on my left in less than 0.5 sec, and saw player B near me, so I killed him, using that common sense (I didn't see Player B shooting player A, though).
    @Kearnzy issued me a slay, but later removed it, although I am not sure that he did so because I explained him my common sense, or because Player B forgave me (player B pm'ed me and said he is forgiving me).

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lordyhgm

Lordyhgm Spiteful smells Lead Admin VIP

since you did not have 100% proof that is was them, (the shot could've come from further down the corridor etc) it would likely be an rdm, however you could argue strongly for gba, seeing as they would have witnessed the killer, or been aware of the traitorous act, and not acted upon it

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  3. Han

Han       VIP

It really depends on if that's how the physics actually work. If it's 100% reproducible, then yeah, I'd say this could be a valid form of common sense.

Keep in mind, it would be a very situational. You'd have to be sure any factors that could come into play are accounted for.

But at the end of the day, if there's a way to know without a doubt which direction the bullet came from, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to kill off of it - given that you respond quick enough, make sure no one teleports away, etc.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Xproplayer

Xproplayer VIP Silver

Source physics are never 100% logical therefore it can never be a 100% common sense situation. AFAIK this would be RDM.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  5. ZaneLoehr (Masochist Ver.)

ZaneLoehr (Masochist Ver.) Warehouse 13 Next Generation VIP

As far as being gba goes remember the player has to be able to act on the traitorous act for them to be gba. If the shot came from further down the hallway and you killed the guy right by the door in 0.5 seconds it would be rdm since they didn't have time to react to the traitorous act.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DocFox

DocFox The Best Is Yet To Come VIP Silver Emerald

I mean, sure. Sure you can use common sense to tell what direction it came from, but you cant kill someone based off that direction/location.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Opalium

Opalium Stay Awesome Banned VIP Silver

Pretty much this. While you can't base your decision solely on the direction a shot came from (much like how you can't act based on where the gun shot sound came from), if you can add up other pieces of information to reach a 100% certainty then it's fine. As lordy said, there could've been multiple people down that corridor, so nothing guarantees the guy you found is the killer.
    Common sense is rarely based on a single piece of info, and you usually have to take multiple hints into account to get it right. The direction from which a shot came, while a useful piece of information, is still just a hint - so don't be so quick to act on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.