Give /home and /tpa a cost

Discussion in 'Minecraft Suggestions' started by Azure, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Azure

Azure Into each life some rain must fall. VIP

Now that I've been playing on the server (And considering the small talk there was about this was part of another megathread), I thought I'd post this up to get people's thoughts on this.

As it is right now, I feel that /home and /tpa are too strong. It removes a lot of the danger of a Survival game, and it makes it way too easy to move around.
    Something I've seen work very well before is a Redstone cost for teleports. It is abundant and is barely ever used. Another material that's been suggested and isn't used much is Lapis Lazuli.
    This would make getting those resources more enticing by giving them good value and would stir them up in the market, while also adding a bit of a downside to home and tpa.

Thoughts, opinions?

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 3
  2. Carned

Carned ✘o ✘o VIP Silver Emerald

3. Zack

Zack Shepherd of Fire VIP

Kind of seems cool to give them a reagent requirement, and as you say, lots of redstone sitting about! +1

4. Noctorious

Noctorious Your Best Nightmare VIP Emerald

Only if sleeping in a bed actually changes my spawn when I die

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. CorallocinB

CorallocinB Animeme lord VIP Silver Emerald

I'll actually have an excuse to use my fortune pick for something other than diamonds

+1

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. The Law

The Law You fought the law and the law won. VIP Silver Emerald

-1 While I agree that teleports are of course overpowered, I don't think this is a great solution. As I feel like being required to drag redstone around with me, having it taking up inventory space, and always having to be watchful I replenish it when it's low, would just become an annoyance in a feature I'm going to use regardless of whether it requires redstone or not.

• Agree Agree x 11
  7. -tyler

-tyler My trial was filed as a crazy suicidal head case. VIP Bronze

Why make it cost, maybe make it take longer to tp or to get home? Instead of three make it 5 to 8 seconds?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. GRYPHN

GRYPHN ♫ Thanks for the Memories ♫ VIP

I dont like the idea of having a fee for it, why not have longer cool downs until we get used to distancing ourselves from /home and commands like it, Then overtime maybe we can pay in points from the game (/home - 100, /tpa - 200, Overtime we make them cost more)

9. Chai

Chai returned; VIP

Longer distance = Higher cost

gg

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Elvis

Elvis TheRockStars VIP Silver

This is something I was going to suggest.

The further you are away from your home/the player you are tpaing to, the higher the cost of whatever material you need.

Another way we could implement this, is every 50 blocks (can be changed but I wouldnt recommend going any less than 50) away from your /home or /tpa location you are, the timer will add a second to the tp time. This is a great alternative, and helps with what @The Law talked about.

What about adding a "Second storage"? @irritatingness @Deathbyrussian This could be implemented to act as a second storage for things like this. Max space would be 4 complete inventory spaces, allowing 256 of the "currency material", and it would house things like the redstone or anything else that would need to be used as a currency. I know, as of right now, having 256 redstone may seem like alot, especially if it wouldnt take up any of the primary storage space, but if we were to add other things that would require a form of currency in the future, yall could make that item/function require a different material to act as the "currency material", then those other spots would be necessary to keep the items out of the primary storage. Once those 4 spaces are filled, then any more of that material would then start to be placed in the primary storage.

Players would be able to purchase these spaces individually at the /market, the cost being left up to you/the community. This will help fix the problem that @The Law spoke of, and it will help keep the /tpa /home thing under control with some form of currency.

This idea may or may not be bad, its just something I had thought of. If you have any ideas that could help improve, and possibly help get this added, then by all means go ahead.

11. No way,t his is not a vanilla Minecraft server.I don't want to wait more time teleporting somewhere then I already have t o.Skellies have literal aimbot,creepers now one shot in full iron and what do you ask?That we get a cool down on movement.

-1 one from me

12. Santa Claus

Santa Claus Best Member VIP Bronze

But my house is 240 units high

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

Not everyone has redstone

14. Kyül

Kyül Caged Bird VIP Bronze

It is really easy to get man, this comment is unnecessary.

15. Kyül

+1

16. Python~

It's not tho. Pretty relevant tbh

If you spawn in as a new player, you don't get redstone with /kit starter

Also if you die, how do you get redstone at spawn?

This is ignoring that I'm of the opinion that /home is not overpowered if we have a command like /rtp

Why not just make it so you can't teleport while in combat

• Winner Winner x 2
  17. Kyül

Thats the point, that you dont get it with a kit. You have to work to be able to teleport. Redstone works as a battery. The spawn problem could be solved by just spawning at a certain home. Warping to market shouldne cost anything, nor going to spawn to play miniganes or creative etc. This is meant for tpas and going from a certain place to your home. Imo you shouldnt be able to go home from the Nether or the End, since it ruins the challenge and portals become obsolete.

18. Azure

The market. You start with some money anyway.

And combat teleports isn't really the issue here; you already need to stand still for 3 seconds to teleport.

Being able to set your respawn to one of your /homes would be really nice though. Being sent to spawn really doesn't do much for the player.

19. Python~

This is something that I have NEVER seen implemented on ANY server. Mostly because it's just a hassle. If redstone is so easy to get, why make it a necessity to have to teleport? Why would this make anything less OP?

I have 4 stacks of Block of Redstone. I wouldn't have a problem. But it's just another thing I'd have to carry around for no reason

Maybe while we're at it, we can make it so claiming land costs gravel, or /kit starter costs dirt (???)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Azure

I've seen it, and it worked extremely well, but then again, it was a really big server with a well established economy, huge towns and cities where you could buy plots and work with your town's population to increase the size of it. Different dynamic. It also had multiple ''store chests'' like the ones we have at the market at the hubs (And also some set by players) that would let you buy Redstone for a sum of money.
    Redstone/Lapiz were suggestions for the cost of it; there are obviously other ways to go about this, but myself and others agree that there should be some kind of drawback to it.