Gay pride (parade)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Siddo, Jul 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siddo

Siddo Banned VIP Bronze

inb4 we're gmod forum stfu about non-gaming shit

Anywho, I was curious about your opinions on gay pride and gay pride parades (or LGBT stuff pride in general).
    Personally, I think gay pride as a concept is a very odd thing indeed. I translate it to white pride or black pride in my head. I don't see the point in taking pride in an inherent trait. There's no reason to take pride in being straight, gay, white, black, asian, <other non-elective trait>.

By extension, I don't see the point of western gay pride parades. I understand in other societies and cultures, where being gay is either shunned or outright illegal. Places where gays face actual, tangible oppression. In those places, you'd want and perhaps even need a place to be accepted and happy about who you are.
    But in western culture, people like this are mostly accepted, or at least tolerated. Especially among the more recent generations.
    So, here in the west, I don't see the point to these parades. It's functionally a gay convention. And a convention for white people wouldn't come across well. In the same vein, a convention for gay people seems weird to me.
    For me, natural traits (white, gay, lesbian, etc.) are the least interesting aspects of a person.
    If you wanna smash or get together with someone, it's important that you're compatible here. But for everyday life, it's ... kind of a pointless thing. It makes no difference.

Be happy with who and how you are, that's important and healthy. But for me I don't see a reason for gay pride. Just like I don't see a reason for <insert natural trait> pride.

Anywho, I'd like to hear other perspectives / opinions on the topic - and please don't be inflammatory.
    Even if you think the gay is a sin and god hates homosexuals, don't disparage others here.

• Agree x 3
    • Optimistic x 2
    • Dumb x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  2. Acnologia

Acnologia modern desperado VIP Silver

we're gmod forum stfu about non-gaming shit

• Useful Useful x 7
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. BlueGalaxy

BlueGalaxy VIP Emerald

Given the fact I'm an atheist I don't really give a crap about gay prides or if you're gay or not. If you love each other fine just do whatever makes you happy. Be your own person pretty much.

• Like Like x 2
  4. $20 is $20.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. twitch.tv/echostorm2k ⚔️

twitch.tv/echostorm2k ⚔️ screwdriver Banned VIP Silver

Gay people are gay, and that's gay.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Confusing Confusing x 1
  6. Santa Claus

Santa Claus Best Member VIP Bronze

is there a gender out there for people who are MtF trans who are attracted to lesbians.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  7. Daddy Nexxus

Daddy Nexxus Toxi-Fessional VIP

we're gmodforum stfu about non-gamingshit

• Agree x 2
    • Old x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Dumb x 1
  8. Carned

Carned ✘o ✘o VIP Silver Emerald

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. degolfer222

degolfer222 I finally changed my title VIP

I dunno, I think pride is kinda needed still, even in the west. The newer generations are, for the most part, accepting of lgbt. But the older generation is still plenty homophobic.

Plus, Ive read plenty of stories of closeted teens going out to pride and actually being able to be themselves, and be accepted of who they are. I agree that your sexuality doesnt really need to be celebrated, that its just part of who you are, but there are plenty of people who still cant fully be themselves, because of a bad home, or homophobic parents, or whatever the reason. Of course its not as bad as in some countries, but still.

So, in my opinion, pride is still needed here. Some people need it, cause its the only chance they have to be who they are.

• Like Like x 1
    • Confusing Confusing x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  10. Xproplayer

Xproplayer VIP Silver

wheres my popcorn

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  11. olivia

olivia queen of dankness VIP

gay pride is neat. just let us be proud of our gayness. heck

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. That's pretty gay

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. tz-

tz- feelin it VIP Emerald

i mean they hold parades and get togethers for all types of shit why does it having to do with gay people such a bother? theye just people who dont get treated the same as everyone else bc they like someone

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  14. Siddo

Siddo Banned VIP Bronze

Hm. I can't deny I may be overestimating the acceptance in western culture, however, in my experience between friends both near and far, old and young, most people are tolerant and or accepting. They really don't care whether you're gay, straight, black, white, or what have you, as long as you aren't bothering them. Live and let live attitude.

And I'm absolutely sure that there are some unfortunate young people who live, either hating themselves or hating the world, because they can't freely express their emotional reality (that is, same sex attraction). And for those people, having some kind of connection to like-minded people and accepting people can be quite beneficial and healthy. So that point I do concede, that pride stuff has purpose.

However, on the flipside, a huge gathering of people gaying out is unlikely to do much to normalize being gay. Nor is it going to change the minds of people who dislike LGBT people. For my money, when people don't care whether you're straight or gay, that's the ideal. Having a big "hey we're gay by the way" party doesn't promote that it's normal. Anything that you make a big deal out of is not normal. Being gay isn't a big deal, in my opinion. Pride parades make it a big deal.
    We're all humans, we should all just be happy how we are. Like, if gay pride parades are what makes you happy, go for it. But if it's a political thing... I don't see that working.

My issue remains with the pride aspect. I don't see a reason to be proud of it. There is plenty of a reason to be fine with it, for the sake of one's mental health and relations with other people. But if you take pride in it, a slight against it is a perceived offense. And you get offended. And hurt.
    You should be happy and content being gay, that way it doesn't really matter much if others dislike the fact that you're gay or make jokes at your expense. Because that really does not matter. You know you're okay; you know there's nothing wrong with you.
    That's why my ideal is that it should just be normal and you shouldn't care. If hanging out with gay people makes you happy, go for it. But I don't think taking pride in your sexuality is healthy :sleep:

15. Doctor Smurfenstein

Doctor Smurfenstein Active member Banned VIP

I celebrate my pride by taking a dick up the ass. I don't need a parade. Parades are fucking gay.

• Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Dumb x 1
  16. olivia

olivia queen of dankness VIP

The pride aspect is important because LGBT people were (and still are) oppressed and judged and just recently within the past 5-10 years given the right to marry legally like their heterosexual peers. Same concept with the black lives matter movement. It's important because of the history that lies behind it. A race that was literally enslaved in America deserves to be proud of their skin and their heritage. It's really just a way for minorities to come together and support each other and know that they're not alone.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
  17. Gay

Gay Banned VIP

where do i sign up.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  18. tz-

tz- feelin it VIP Emerald

i have 3 really good friends that are gay/bi

1 of them is pretty open about it, 2 of them arent

the reason why they arent is because with one of them they would actually be beaten by their mother for liking girls, talking to them, etc., and the mother would mentally abuse her as well calling her trash, telling her she'll never amount to anything if she likes girls, ya know shit like that
    with the other he cant come out because his mother would kick him out of their house and has threatened with it before, and when he tends to bring it up his mother usually yells at him for doing so, not even attempting to entertain the thought.

also the one who's open about it is strangely very religious, and has even tried praying his own gay away

its not very accepted despite what people make it out to be, you would like to think so but kids literally get abused by their own parents for being gay

the pride parades arent necessarily for people to shove it in your face that they're gay it's more for people to come together, meet each other, make each other feel safe, reassure them, and reinforce the idea that it should be normalized.

• Dumb Dumb x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Siddo

Siddo Banned VIP Bronze

Thank you both :love:

I do still disagree with taking pride in it, and making what you are (gay, black, tall, etc.) as important as or more important than who you are (kind, generous, short-tempered, etc.). But I acknowledge the benefits these things might have - especially for the least fortunate among us.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Doctor Smurfenstein

Doctor Smurfenstein Active member Banned VIP

No but seriously. I like guys, have always liked guys and I don't need a parade to know that. I also don't need my parents to convince it's good or bad. It just...is. Acceptance is an issue with a lot of parents, that's a very sad reality. My dad treated me differently for years because of it, and even now we're still not the way we were before they knew. But hey, I don't really care. You grow up and gain confidence in who you are. It can be very tough as a kid dealing with this.

The problem is I couldn't give any advice even if I wanted to. If you have parents that are simply not accepting of who you are, then I don't see a way to fix that. They will eventually have to come to terms with it. The only other option would be to cut ties with them, but that would just be horrible.

Still, the parades? I don't know man. What kind of message does it bring across? Hooray for gays? Gays > everyone else? Be gay like us it's great? If it's about gay acceptance, then a parade surely isn't the best way to spread the message.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.