FPS Problems

Discussion in 'Bug Report' started by Lone Wanderer, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Lone Wanderer

Lone Wanderer The One and Only Mod Elite

Not necessarily a bug report, but its a problem that's been really irritating to deal with and I need some help trying to solve it.

I've been getting this really weird FPS lag that hounds me at pretty much every moment when I'm on the servers, and it's basically made it unplayable for me. Just generally running around and doing stuff is painful, but gunfights are almost right out. It gets exponentially worse whenever there's gunfire direct around me from other people.

Like, I get around 30-50 FPS on average just roaming around the map with nothing going on. When there's gunfights right in front of me, or if I get to a poorly rendered area, it can drop below 20, and even into the 10 FPS area for a few moments if things are really bad.

My computer specs are:

• Intel(R) Core(TM)i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60Hz 2.60 GHz
    • 16.0 GB of RAM
    • 64-bit Operating system
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M

I've tried reinstalling Garrysmod, setting the graphics to their lowest settings, setting antialiasing and filtering mode to their lowest settings. I've also tried going with what Garrysmod says the recommended settings are for my laptop, and the problem doesn't seem to change at all.

Any possible ideas of what might be causing his problem, and some potential fixes? This problem is really annoying and hampering my gameplay experience significantly, and it's getting to the point to where I'm thinking of doing a complete wipe of my computer to get this resolved if I can't find any other solution.

Also, I don't know if this is potentially a source of the problem, but my laptop has been getting very hot recently. It's definitely in need of a cleaning, and I'll be doing that within the next day or so; I'm hoping that will help this problem to some degree, and I'll get back to this post with an update on how that's affected my FPS.

2. Mr. Disco

Mr. Disco VIP

Disable sprays. m9kgaseffect 0 Could also help. I'll have more solutions tomorrow. On my phone right now

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chai

Chai Mighty Python Developer VIP

• Like Like x 1
  4. Turquoise

Turquoise Princess of Vanilla VIP+

Fourth:
    "gmod_mcore_test 1;mat_queue_mode -1;cl_threaded_bone_setup 1"

• Like Like x 2
  5. Lone Wanderer

@Chai

How would I identify if it's being run by both GPU and CPU? I'm not really good at that kind of stuff, so....

6. PanzerShrimp

PanzerShrimp Best Member VIP+

Multi core rendering will help you out a lot. Your single CPU core running gmod physics seems to be the bottleneck

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lone Wanderer

Holy shit guys, that multicore rendering has made an ENORMOUS difference!

I'm getting into the high 100's and even into the low-to-mid 200's now. It's like getting a new pair of glasses. This is super awesome!!!

I'm getting a cooling system for my laptop tomorrow as well, as my laptop still gets pretty hot, so I'll see if keeping my processors cooler will positively impact performance even further. But it's pretty awesome right now. Thanks so much for the help!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Chai

Chai Mighty Python Developer VIP

Seems like your GPU isnt kicking in.

Do you play gmod while charging your laptop?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lone Wanderer

Yeah I do; but my FPS has significantly improved with the multicore rendering guide that you gave me to the levels I'd expect, so it seems this problem is resolved