1. Hello Guest! We are happy to announce the launch of our official Discord server. Please read the announcement here: https://www.seriousgmod.com/threads/introducing-discord.47186/
    Dismiss Notice

Investigating [Forums] Main page shoutbox problem

Discussion in 'Bug Report' started by Krombopulos Makuzi, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Krombopulos Makuzi

Krombopulos Makuzi a medium that reduces the speed of fast neutrons VIP+ Gold

Title:
    Main page shoutbox problem
    Applies to:
    Forums
    Description:
    So, it appears that the shoutbox on the main page seems to be fucking up
    I'm using google chrome.

There's a persistent gap that's growing and shrinking, and I can't scroll up.
    I am also using Chai's addon.

@Chai @Opalium

Refreshing the page doesn't change to what's happening to me.​
    Steps to Recreate:
    shoutbox was fine earlier today. it may or may not be just happening to me.​
    Attachments:
    [​IMG]

I've learned that the gap is apparently the people I ignored and their messages are showing up as black spaces instead of the '*Ignored*' or no message at all. But the gap is a bit problematic and I think it should be fixed. I would rather see an ignored member show their messages as '*Ignored*', otherwise I can't remember who I've ignored.​

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  2. Python~

Python~ Young Bard Elite

Agree, continuously happens. If you ignore a few people and they're talking in SB, SB is basically just blank

This seems counter-intuitive since the entire point of Ignoring someone was so that you didn't see their presence, but this does the exact opposite. Please fix (y)

3. Xproplayer

Xproplayer Elite

The issue is ignored users have their messages deleted, and the shoutbox on the main page only displays the last 25 messages I think, so if you have 25 messages and 2-3 hidden, it has a gap there. Technically this could be fixed however its actualy caused by chais extension making the sb longer, if it was the default 4-5 message size you wouldn't notice it since messages would fill. I would not expect this to be fixed at all.

4. ink

ink I do it all for the memes Mod VIP Silver

False. This also occurs on the fullview of the Shoutbox, which is not affected by chai's length extension and also happens at the full view without chai's extension enabled. Plus this doesn't happened all the time. When I see this happen and un-ignore and re-ignore the person and refresh the page, their messages are hidden the right way, and instead older messages are displayed. Not sure if this also happens in regular view without chai's extension, but I'll make sure to record this next time around.

5. Xproplayer

Xproplayer Elite

I ignored users and never dealt with this on full view. Please gather as much information as possible next time it happens and I can take a further look to try and find a root cause.

6. Destiny Blade

Destiny Blade Blackpink House Mod Legendary

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Only happened to me with the pop up version rather than the full version.

7. Xproplayer

Xproplayer Elite

:writing: report against destiny blade

8. ink

I pulled an @Echo and ignored almost every member I possibly could that was in the shoutbox.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Also you get a *New chat message!* notification on fullview shoutbox when an ignored member replies to the shoutbox.

Double EDIT: Actually, the **New chat message!** works as intended and only notifies you when an unignored user replies to Shoutbox. Their messages are not displayed at the bottom, but at the top like so:
    [​IMG]
    Seems like the root cause is definitely with the script that's deleting the messages. Chai's extension that extends the SB just makes it more apparent to display when only a few members are ignored.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  9. Krombopulos Makuzi

Krombopulos Makuzi a medium that reduces the speed of fast neutrons VIP+ Gold

Also, is it normal to not receive alerts from this? I have alerts enabled.

10. Python~

Python~ Young Bard Elite

Please fix this :(

P sure the problem is that it just blocks the content, it doesn't delete it completely

11. Xproplayer

Xproplayer Elite

No, it sets the html element to not render which is the same as deleting it.

12. Kinky Elvis

Kinky Elvis The FuckBoi of STTT MVP

Well ofc its going to show like that. When you ignore a player it deletes any messages that is currently showing by that user. The sb has to "refill" i guess you can say. SB only shows so many msgs, and once a message gets past that max number it deletes itself.

Ive yet to have this issue and i have numerous people ignored in sb that constantly talk.

13. Xproplayer

Xproplayer Elite

this. the only fix i can think of is to have it render bottom up vs top down which would leave the gap to the top instead of the bottom

14. Python~

Python~ Young Bard Elite

Going into inspect element:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The bug is currently hiding it, not completely deleting it. Using inspect element is just the best way I can describe it

15. Xproplayer

Xproplayer Elite

Umm except it doesnt leave gaps like yours does, all messages fill up.

16. ink

The problem with the script is that even though the SB has enough messages in the cache to fill up 5 messages in the main shoutbox, it keeps the messages' place in time and bugs out the scroll instead of properly displaying the messages it does have in the cache. It should flow the messages it has, and not screw everything. If you check the full sb and main sb I posted earlier, it 100% has 5 messages but just doesn't display properly. Therefore, there is a chance that even if only 1 person is ignored and the sb has 100+ messages to display, it just instead omits the 1 message and bugs the scroll out.

Xpro's plan to render it bottom to top should probably fix the scroll bug.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  17. Xerp

Xerp VIP

just unignore me and you'll be fine