*For a project* Restorative Justice

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Chastity4lyfe, Apr 20, 2016.

?

Had you ever heard of Restorative Justice before this thread?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. Chastity4lyfe

Chastity4lyfe *Eye roll* VIP Silver

I am in a bachelors Restorative Justice class - working on a finals project and I need some input for my project, and you guys can definitely help me with it!! Just watch this quick video and answer the following questions in the most honest way possible.

1. Do you think offenders and victims should meet? Does it depend on the crime?
    2. Does this method of justice sound good?
    3. How would you compare this to the current justice system in the western culture (our current US justice system)?
    4. Have you experienced a situation where this method would have helped? (Share if you can/are comfortable too).

Thanks guys!

2. Carned

Carned ✘o ✘o VIP Silver Emerald

Advert is so British is embarrassing.

1. Its purely circumstantial depends if both parties want to meet
    2. If it works then yeah, but it will help some people and some it wont.
    3. Well the US justice system is dumb and punishment needs to be decided on a case by case basis rather than blanket rules.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Doremey

Doremey VIP

1. It depends on if the victim wants healing & if the offender is even willing to admit guilt. (Which many will not, outside of a stupid plea deal.)
    2. It may help in a few cases, but not most.
    3. It could be stappled onto the current justice system, rather than replacing it. (Even though I have mixed feelings on the justice system...)

From my own personal experience, I'm going to go ahead and say that this method should not be applied to violent crimes.
    A violent criminal is a violent criminal, and they will always will be a violent criminal, no matter how "nice" they behave.
    I lost two close friends becuse some idiots deemed one of things "rehabilitated" because it played nicely with the other inmates...

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Chastity4lyfe

Chastity4lyfe *Eye roll* VIP Silver

This is an extremely important note - as I am utilizing this idea in my Bachelors Capstone paper!

5. Zypther

Zypther #SuitUp VIP Bronze Iron

1. depending on if the victim wants to meet or not, otherwise the offender should not have a choice (unless proven innocent otherwise).

2. Yes, the school i go to does something called teen court, almost restorative justice, but it is more of a peer choice, we don't decide the verdict, but we give out a small punishment, like the offender has to write X amount of apology letters 1 to each family member/victims.

3.I think like others have said, it depends on the crime, like felonies should probably not be introduced to this system, unless it is like the case of a student bring alcohol to school and sharing it with friends, as that should be taken to care in the softest possible way etc. The idea of introducing this is a great idea, but probably better with things like petty theft, not assault or anything else.

4. Yeah, the school I have also has peer mediation, I got into a fight with a kid and it was all smoothed over with and easily taken care of with no punishment as we made up about our differences and it was just about our first infraction.

• Useful Useful x 1