FOOD

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Hongo, May 28, 2020.

1. Hongo

Hongo VIP

I like food. But mostly, I like sauces to put on food and since summer is upon us, the barbecue grills will be firing up soon.

Here is a recipe I like to use for smoked pork ribs, or just plain old barbecued ribs or briskets

Blueberry Hot Barbecue Sauce

• 4 cups blueberries reduced to a sauce in a pan, medium high until breaking down
    • 1 jalapeno's seeds removed and chopped
    • 1 white onion chopped
    • 2 garlic cloves diced
    • 1/2 cup ketchup
    • 1/2 cup molasses
    • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
    • 2 tablespoons coarse ground mustard
    • couple cracks of black pepper and salt to taste
    Apply liberally to coat meat before slapping it onto the heat.

So, what kind of foods do you like? Are you going to be grilling this summer? Share some recipes with me

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Noctorious

Noctorious Your Best Nightmare VIP Emerald

Can you make the recipe without the spice and fruit?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Hongo

Hongo VIP

Well, I guess so, but it would just be normal barbecue sauce then. The berry sweetness complements the natural sweetness of pork, and the added sugars and complex carbohydrates from the berries results in a delicious caramelization on the meat

4. Elvis

Elvis TheRockStars VIP Silver

okay Gordan Ramsey

5. Hongo

Hongo VIP

i learn from the best

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Noctorious

Noctorious Your Best Nightmare VIP Emerald

Okay thank you. I have really bad acid reflux and fruit and spice hurt.

Currently my favorite food is what my girlfriend sometimes makes, it's mashed potatoes topped with ground meat, topped with mixed vegetables

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Hongo

Hongo VIP

I know what you could cook! Caveman Steak!

Thats when you heat a bed of coals until theyre white, and then you place some steaks directly onto the coal, cook them for 3-5 minutes per side depending on the thickness of the steak (I would only use this method for steaks around 1 inch thick). Don't worry about the charcoal on the meat, In fact that is one of the reasons to make steak with this method, as charcoal is a natural digestive and would help you with your acid reflux situation!

After the meat is cooked, put it into some foil and wrap it up and let it rest for 10 minutes, the dusty charcoal on its surface (which you should not brush off) will dissolve into a savory sauce as the juices from the meat release during the 10 minute rest.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Indy226

Indy226 Banned VIP Silver

Best combinations with four sauces
    Mustard + Mayo
    Ketchup + Ranch

9. Hongo

Hongo VIP

let me add
    Mayo+Chili pepper flakes and a pinch of lemon juice = chipotle mayo in 15 seconds

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Pokeben10

Pokeben10 tell me pretty lies Moderator VIP Silver

what. the. fuck.

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. food

food VIP

Best thread ever

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Indy226

Sandwich

Buttered whole grain bread
    thyme spice on the butter
    smoked ham slices
    colby jack cheese
    mayo mixed with mustard

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Hongo

Hongo VIP

That sounds like an epic addition to any picnic basket.

14. Indy226

it's good trust me

15. Shaddoll

Shaddoll Okay doomer. VIP

Growing up in a Chinese household (my dad is half), I was exposed to a lot of ethnic foods. One of my favorite things is also one of the easiest things to make.

Chinese Green Onion Pancakes
    Ingredients:

• 3 cups all-purpose flour
    • 1-1/3 cups boiling water
    • 4 teaspoons sesame oil
    • 6 green onions, chopped
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 cup canola oil (I usually don't use canola oil, I use sesame instead cause it tastes better. I'm copying a recipe from online that looked the closest to what I have done in the past)

Directions:
      • Place flour in a large bowl; stir in boiling water until dough forms a ball. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 4-6 minutes. Place in a large bowl; cover and let rest for 30 minutes.
      • Divide dough into 8 portions; roll each portion into an 8-in. circle. Brush with 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil; sprinkle with 1 heaping tablespoon of green onion and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Roll into a thin cylinder (jelly-roll style); starting at one end, twist cylinder onto itself forming a coil, pinching to seal. Flatten slightly. Roll each coil to 1/8-in. thickness.
      • In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon Sesame oil. Over medium-high heat, cook 1 pancake at a time until golden brown, 2-3 minutes on each side.

Serve it with a sauce of your choice. Usually a sweetish/garlicy soy sauce is best. But this is a really simple food and it is surprisingly good. Green onions are the literal best thing. Enjoy.

P.S. My all time favorite foods are usually Japanese, Indian, and Thai cuisine. I love spicy stuff and there are very little things that I won't eat. Food is a gateway to somebody's culture.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Hongo

Hongo VIP

That sounds delicious. I love anything with green onion in it, and it sounds really easy too.

17. Hongo

Hongo VIP

What would you suggest using ketchup+ranch on? It sounds like it'd be a nice fry dip.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Shaddoll

I'd suggest purely using canola oil if you're gonna do that. Sesame oil will fuck it up if you use Ketchup + Ranch

• Confusing Confusing x 1
  19. Hongo

Hongo VIP

I don't understand.

20. Shaddoll

Sesame oil has a very strong flavor that is hard to cover up and doesn't work well with other flavors a lot of the time. Canola oil doesn't have a very strong flavor and is used in a lot of non-asian cooking. The thought of ketchup and sesame oil kinda makes my stomach turn tbh. That's pretty much the gist of it. And with so few ingredients you will definitely taste the difference in what oil you use.

Edit: I also misread your comment. I'm incredibly dumb but the point still stands.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 1