Extreme Connection Issues

Discussion in 'Archived Minecraft Discussion' started by Amatsu, Jan 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amatsu

Amatsu Emerald

Given that I've lost a good chunk of items due to this, I would like a reasonable explaination from the devs why it takes nearly FIVE minutes to connect to the server. I have observed excessive amounts of data transfer just to connect, well over 20 MB. Not everyone has a connection that can instantly get that, and yet, there's no real reason for this much data transfer. Not even servers with dozens of mods do this.

I have also observed this behavior while winning/losing spleef matches, and was ignored when asking devs in game. While I doubt my items can be restored because no one really expects to DC in water and take so long to load in that they drown and the items despawn with no chance of doing anything to prevent it, I really, really demand a answer to this, as it will effect if I continue to play or not.

Edit: After watching my bandwidth monitor, which seperates data usage on a per process basis, I have observed Minecraft downloads nearly 30 MB data instead. Still baffling.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 6
  2. StrayHunter

StrayHunter Emerald

+1
    I have a 300kb connection after i run out of data limit, and it takes 5 minutes for me too.
    also 20 ticks at max like what the fuck, most servers at least have 32 and the game gets super laggy

3. CorallocinB

CorallocinB Animeme lord VIP Silver Emerald

I've got a long time to load into the server as well, and delay after TPs too.

4. neutral

neutral Banned VIP

TP's haven't been terrible for me.

But my connection to the server usually hangs up on "Loading Terrain" for quite a bit.

EDIT: Just timed it. It was two minutes. This isn't very long. Must just be me.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  5. Skyrossm

Skyrossm Ideal Female Moderator? VIP Emerald Bronze

I only ever get stuck on it when connecting after a server restart, and then it's only for about 30 seconds. Something went wrong though this weekend.

@Mr Butters and @Koishi also had a extremely long load time because they're across the ocean

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. The Law

The Law You fought the law and the law won. VIP Silver Emerald

Yeah, will admit that "Loading Terrain" part does take awhile for me as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Turquoise

Turquoise Princess of Vanilla VIP

As I'm typing this, mine is still loading.

Edit: 6 minutes. What the fuck.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Amatsu

Amatsu Emerald

Thanks for the replies, folks. I knew I wasn't alone with this issue.

9. The Law

The Law You fought the law and the law won. VIP Silver Emerald

That moment when you wait 4 minutes to get into the minecraft server, only to have it restart 1 minute later after you get in... sigh. xD

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Veno

Veno Emerald

11. EhhChris

EhhChris Advisor. VIP Silver Emerald

Yeah, I'm aware this is an issue.

It's tricky because it doesn't happen to everyone (myself included). I've been looking into possibilities as to why this happens, but I haven't found much as to what the cause is, though I've made a few optimizations.

If I don't find the problem by Friday night, I should be able to dedicate the weekend to finding and fixing our problem.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mr Butters

Mr Butters For a few to be immortal, many must die. VIP

Its got nothing to do with being across the ocean, sometimes I get in immediately then other times it takes 10 minutes, its usually after restart if that helps @irritatingness

13. Fuzzy Slug

Fuzzy Slug The Slug Army VIP Emerald

I have had this problem, however I do not think as much as a networking server issue as much as a client issue. I used to have this problem when the server first launched but then I followed this guide. http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...7-tutorial-allocate-more-memory-for-minecraft and dedicated another gig (now 2 gigs) to minecraft and it runs smoothly now and I haven't lagged at all in the server. It might be because of all the server plugins and items and people loading all at once that is cramming your minecraft ram usage.

14. Amatsu

Amatsu Emerald

Thanks, irri. Hopefully a solution is found, as it is a bit of a baffling, confusing issue. I'm still mad at the loss of my items, including a Shulker Box I had.

Unfortunately it doesn't matter how much memory is allocated. No one in the thread is claiming lower FPS or lockups. In fact, my original post specifies the game is downloading data, which has nothing to do with memory allocation. The question is WHY is it downloading so much on login and in the spleef scenario I outlined. It is a networking issue as such, as I have actually allocated 2, then 3 GB of RAM to no effect. But even before I did that, I was getting 60 FPS everywhere except the market.

15. EhhChris

I do believe, my good friends, I have fixed this.

:)

• Winner Winner x 2
  16. Mr Butters

Mr Butters For a few to be immortal, many must die. VIP

I'll be the judge of that.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. Fuzzy Slug

Fuzzy Slug The Slug Army VIP Emerald

ya wanna explain what ya did or nah?

18. CorallocinB

CorallocinB Animeme lord VIP Silver Emerald

It's related to logging of information from the plugins, where the dev of the plugins royally screwed up as this info is logged quickly so yes there's the problem but is it 100% fixed it probably needs more work.

19. EhhChris

Sure, if you'd like.

Basically some plugins were abusing the main world's scoreboard.dat file by storing LOADS of team information in it. After ~1-2mb of data, this causes major connection issues because the client has to parse all of those teams and keep them in memory. This is a major complaint that has been raised to the developers of McMMO and citizens in the past, but I doubt they will change their practices.

For now we'll just stay on top of that file and make sure it doesn't exceed those limits. The data stored isn't even really that helpful.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Amatsu

Amatsu Emerald

That explains why it was getting worse over time as well. Thank you, irri. While you say the data isn't useful, just what sort of data was being saved, and would it be possible in the future to edit the plugin to stop the data generation, or perhaps stop the server from saving to whatever file it uses?

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.