Educational Tablet Purchase

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by BlueGalaxy, Jan 8, 2018.

1. BlueGalaxy

BlueGalaxy VIP Emerald

As you can see from the title I'm looking to buy a tablet that will essentially be used only for school and nothing else. I want something that is good quality and works but at the same time inexpensive.
    Budget: $200-$500
    Any suggestions fellow SGMers?

2. ink

ink Genuine Happiness VIP Silver

First, why do you need a tablet for school?

3. BlueGalaxy

BlueGalaxy VIP Emerald

I don't want to carry around a binder of loose sleeve pages that consist of 500+ pages in my bag when I could just take out my tablet and look at the e-text.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. -tyler

-tyler My trial was filed as a crazy suicidal head case. VIP Bronze

I'd say get any microsoft surface, surface 4 is a bit out of your price range. But I'm not much of a tablet person, just seems like a surface might be really useful. As it is usually used for work.
    Surface 3 would work, but surface 4 would be better if you can maybe spend a little bit more than 500.

Edit: " a lil bit more" means like 200 dollars more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. BlueGalaxy

BlueGalaxy VIP Emerald

What about this? https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Amaz...d=1515469006&sr=1-1&keywords=kindle+fire&th=1

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Daddy Nexxus

Daddy Nexxus Toxi-Fessional VIP

Galaxy Tab a 10.1

7. -tyler

8. BlueGalaxy

BlueGalaxy VIP Emerald

Let me rephrase this. I won't be doing anything major relating to school just using it to read textbooks. I would be using my math lab and Connect McGraw Hill for the majority of the semester.

9. BlueGalaxy

BlueGalaxy VIP Emerald

Reading and maybe notes mostly.

10. -tyler

Alright well I'd say go for some galaxy tablet, like the other one suggested.
    I just don't think a fire hd is too good for what you're looking for.
    https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/t...8875160598-cam=US_IMECOM_PLA_Buy_MobilePhones
    Maybe this?

11. Xproplayer

Xproplayer VIP Silver

It'll prob cost more but you should probably get windows tablet for the sake of having allll the functionality. downside is battery life may not be ideal.

Edit: don't get that fucking fire tablet for $100, itll run like shit.

Edit 2: A google search of windows tablets brings some good results, skim something like this for a good comparison. https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/310159/the-best-windows-tablets

12. ink

There are almost no good android tablets out there at all. Your best bet is to just get a windows laptop/convertible and run Androidx86 on it. I'm not sure if you own an android phone, but you should aim to have at least 32GB memory, 4GB RAM, and a new processor from at least like 2016. Those samsung tablets are very old and didn't sell well so samsung hasn't made any tablets in a while. I believe only Asus makes Android tablets now (besides Amazon, which btw you can easily get rid of the lockscreen ads if you actually do get it). Chromebooks are also like $200 and small so look into that.

If you get an asus transformer, you can just straight up boot Android on it, or run better version of it like RemixOS

13. BlueGalaxy

BlueGalaxy VIP Emerald

14. BlueGalaxy

BlueGalaxy VIP Emerald

I have a shitty LG tracfone that has android as the OS

15. ink

All I'm saying is, $300 is a shitty investment for a tablet that won't last you longer than a couple of years tops with the specs from 2013 but released in 2016. A samsung skin OS will only leave you with like 800MB of ram out of the box and 10 GB of memory. This is a very bad version of android if you count it.

16. -tyler

17. ink

18. BlueGalaxy

BlueGalaxy VIP Emerald

Thank you guys for your recommendations.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. -tyler

No problem mate, tell me what you end up deciding on.

20. neutral

neutral Banned VIP

Just a quick note- do not buy a tablet to use with McGraw Hill and MyMathLab. 9/10 times they do not work properly. The only tablets that were suggested here that I'd recommend for that purpose is the Microsoft Surface since it runs with a watered down version of Windows- but has a full fledged browser.

• Like Like x 1