Donation Ideas

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by Salem, Jan 4, 2018.

?

Which idea do you like better?

1. Idea #1

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  2. Idea #2

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  3. Both

22 vote(s)
    81.5%
  4. A different idea should be implemented

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Neither

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Salem

Salem VIP

Hullo everyone, I saw a conversation in shoutbox a while ago and I'm not sure who exactly came up with the initial idea to spark the conversation, but if they see this just know I'm not stealing it. I never saw a suggestion get posted about it and thought it was a good idea and it sort of made me think more about it.

IDEA #1

Adding a sectio
    n in the store where you can see what ranks you have donated, it could go beneath where your premium ranks are listed and It doesn't need to go into too much detail. Honestly, all it would really need to do is list how many times you have donated a certain rank- or in the horrible example below you could have each rank you have donated, followed by the names of who you donated that rank to.
    donatedsection.JPG

IDEA #2

On top of the previous idea, you could also add a spot to recognize our top donators when you click on the members tab at the navigation bar. Not too many, maybe 3-5 of the top donators. You don't need to go into too much personal detail on how much they've spent or anything like that, it could simply be a section underneath our "Newest Members" section that lists our top donators and you could click on their names listed and go to their forum page.

If you wanted to be fancy or look a bit nicer than just links in a section you could make it so their avatar appears there alongside their name.

Or, simply make it like the other sections there- just avatars you can click and go to their forum page which I believe might actually look better and not stand out too much, it would just mesh well with the other sections.
    donations.JPG

So my question for all of you is, do you like either of these ideas? Or are there other ways you believe we could give thanks to those who spend their money on donations? If so feel free to share them here as well.

Obviously, this isn't something necessary, but it would be nice to give some sort of recognition. (IMO)

• Like Like x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. twitch.tv/echostorm2k ⚔️

twitch.tv/echostorm2k ⚔️ screwdriver Banned VIP Silver

+1 to both

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Graze

Graze Zzz... VIP Silver

I want more forums achievements so I'm okay with this.

4. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

Both, but I can only select one so I went with the first idea because I like it slightly more.

5. HR Phasma

HR Phasma VIP

+1 both sound great

6. Zypther

Zypther #SuitUp VIP Bronze Iron

+1 to both!

7. Grimoire+

Grimoire+ Sigillum diaboli VIP

+1 Both:coffee:

8. Carned

Carned ✘o ✘o VIP Silver Emerald

Honestly I really dislike the idea of a "leaderboard" as such as its quite predatory in terms of people donating simply to get higher on a leaderboard which can in term leading to poor money choices.

I know it might seem trivial and a non issue to most but with the recent problems in the games industry with microtransactions and stuff it could be a problem.

Especially if you take twitch for example, many stream have people competing to be the "Top Tipper" or "Highest Cheers" etc

Most of our higher donators are adults and therefore must have a reasonable amount of disposable income however a large amount of community are teenagers who are more prone to making mistakes with money and can be influenced by certain things.

The first idea is fine because most people have something in their signatures already, but i feel ethically a leaderboard should not be added.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

+1 to both, especially the leaderboard

By that logic, the fact we have a "Most Messages" leaderboard would lead to spam to get to the top of that, but I don't see forum spam often if ever

It's a very lucrative business practice. To be in the "top 10" or "top 3" of something is a very great incentive, hence why DR achievements were added, to get more people playing more often, and it's the same thing Twitch streamers use

While I do feel that this may increase the donations this community gets by however much, I don't think it's unethical in the slightest, as most know it's a worthless leaderboard on the internet
    People like @Humancowcakes, @Destiny Blade, @Sufficient Velocity, etc. don't even need that incentive and they still donate too much to this community. I believe they should be recognized for that, even if they are bad decisions ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like Like x 3
  10. Carned

Carned ✘o ✘o VIP Silver Emerald

I don't think you can apply the same logic to money as you can post count (especially considering 5k posts it's a lot reach from scratch whereas £1000 seems to be spent here every single week by someone)

Yeah the fact that it would encourage more donations is where my ethical issue lies, if you take out the top 3 big spenders you could have people competing for the other places without control hence my issues.

Then again maybe I find it hard to support because spending anything close to leaderboard worthy is mind boggling to me also.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. uwu

uwu Banned Silver

I just simply don't see the need for this personally. Maybe it could be some small side project, but I think there are bigger things that need to be fixed/added and there is really no real "need" for this.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  12. Cash

Cash I staff the proper way Banned VIP

hey at least sgm isn't the only thing I spend recklessly on, a friend of mine has been given more than I've donated to sgm so oof

In response to the OP - as a huge donor, idea #1 is great for me seeing who I've as I haven't added all donations my sig (began donating as anon and honestly forgot some) which allows me to donate to different users more often rather than a select few

idea #2 - good leaderboard and isn't in the most popular spot, so the issue with "Hey i wanna be #1" shouldn't occur

+10000000

13. Cash

Cash I staff the proper way Banned VIP

I'm technically a teen (eightteen hah) but yeah I work 2 jobs.
    Although this could be an issue, 90% of the playerbase prefers being gifted ranks whereas I and whoever else, prefers gifting them so I don't see it being too large of an issue if it occurs.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Opalium

Opalium Stay Awesome Banned VIP Silver

Idea 1 sounds pretty good. I can't see why not.

As for idea 2, I have to agree with Carned here personally. I am not entirely sure this is what we want to encourage. Sure, most of us are responsible with their money (I hope), but I still worry this will encourage over spending by some people just to get to the top. Not only it can really cause some trouble to those who take it too far, it may also lead to chargebacks from people who paid too much an regret it later.
    I don't know, it's a risky idea. But can be considered nonetheless.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. CrownedWings

CrownedWings Quirkless but still kickin VIP

Yeah idea 1 sounds more realistic than idea 2 because for what was said before. I don’t think having a leaderboard for donating ranks really should count to anything since usually it’s just a gift out of good will

16. Salem

Salem VIP

Moved to the appropriate thread
    Thanks Papa Opa XD​

17. Emily❤

Emily❤ The strongest light is the one within VIP Silver Emerald

-1 on idea 2. It shouldn't be about who donates most but more like Christmas that its about giving and not to be on the top of a leaderboard.