Rejected Discord - a newer and better teamspeak

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by Niclas, Jan 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Niclas

Niclas hióa

[​IMG]
    Home page of Discord: https://discordapp.com/

Advanced Community Server Setup: https://support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/...rver-Setup

This is a service/downloadable app for free for phones and PC/MAC. You can Ban, Kick, Server mute, Server kick, etc. All with customizable server groups (or roles as Discord calls it). You can allow server groups, which you can name whatever you want and color anyway you'd like, certain permissions like kicking, muting, banning, managing the server/channels, and even roles themselves. I'd just experiment with this and really just toy with it and so how it fits, it's free after all and does not hurt you to try it out. It's features are amazing. How customizable and simple it is is remarkable.

Even has a widget code available for the forums. Everything is just a click away. It's less CPU intensive on PCs compared to Skype and TeamSpeak. It's made specifically to compete with those services and I highly recommend this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Carned

Carned ✘o ✘o VIP Silver Emerald

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Chewie

Chewie deadrun mod VIP Bronze

[​IMG]

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Sarkastix

Sarkastix Well-Known Member

Teamspeak is better in my opinion. More people have it and it is still highly customizable. It can be simple to organize large meetings/calls using Teamspeak. We can also get a widget on the forum for it i'm pretty sure

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Carned

Carned ✘o ✘o VIP Silver Emerald

Sh.

6. DocFox

DocFox The Best Is Yet To Come VIP Silver Emerald

I like my Overwolf for TS. -1

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Pandora?

Pandora? Alcoholic in Training VIP Silver

I actually tried Discord and played around with it's settings before and maybe @Turquoise could give more info about this, but here's this. (Sorry if I'm all over the place, it's been a few weeks since I tried out Discord)

The interface is actually really nice and clean, and I enjoyed Discord more than TS but I don't think it'd fit the communities needs. Yeah it's a free service but there's stuff that we have on TS that's not on Discord. One thing I noticed was that there were no channel passwords. In order to kind of "lock" a channel, you'd need to assign someone to a role and make it so the only people who can enter that channel is that role. This isn't so bad for the mod/admin/lead admin channels as this is how they work, but goodbye to every single other channel with a password. This would prove to be extremely tedious for leads as they'd be the only ones who'd be able to change channel/server groups (On discord if someone can change people's channel group, they're able to enter any channel regardless of restrctions). Another big thing is the way it seperates voice chat and text chat as they are two seperate things on Discord. Each channel consists of only voice, and at the top there's individual chat channels, so not only would you have the 15+ voice channels, but another 15+ text channels. With all these different channels and the way Discord is laid out, it'd be a huge cluttered mess. I could go more in depth on how Discord's permission system/way of handling channels is not really suited for the community and I will if someone really wants to know the more intricate details.

TL;DR

Pros
    - cleaner interface
    - free!

Cons
    - more work for leads regarding channels
    - no passwords
    - chat and voice being seperate channels
    - everyone can see who's in what channel
    EDIT: I also remember it being a bit annoying getting other's to join since you have to send them an invite link to the server

Overall it's kind of a step down from something we already have so -1

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. BlueGalaxy

BlueGalaxy VIP Emerald

I rather stick with teamspeak -1

9. Skyrossm

Skyrossm Ideal Female Moderator? VIP Emerald Bronze

Discord would be better if we didn't need all of the staff channels.

• Like Like x 1
  10. tz-

tz- feelin it VIP Emerald

Surpised Mango didn't say anything about this being suggested before and telling OP to search before making suggestions.

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Silent Rebel

Silent Rebel Lead Shitposter VIP

Fix you shouldn't, if broke it is not.

[​IMG]

Basically -1 after reading @Pandora's post. Plus, teamspeak is a known brand/program. Name recognition is important, it makes the program more accessible/popular/trustworthy/etc.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Niclas

Niclas hióa

The thing is, most of the time you have to pay for having a TeamSpeak server, but Discord is free, doesn't require anything and is also used on mobile for free, it's very efficient at it's job and works very well, you can organize staff rooms and private rooms if you want to, it's not much of a hazel as you think it is. In, of course, my opinion Discord is much better, once you have opened Discord, you can simply click on the channel you want to go on, and you're on the last server you visited on close down, it's doesn't require that much to handle either, if you want to create a private room or staff room, do it.
    Also, if you're going to -1, please, at least state your reason clearly and why, it doesn't matter much if you just stay "teamspeak is better sorry", a very detailed reason would be helpful on why you shouldn't or should add it or have both.
    I found a very interesting but no detailed reddit post stating good things about Discord;
    Discord offers free servers so you don't have to pay $7 /mo for 15 slots like other programs. Skype also handles group calls very poorly and I'd have enumerable amounts of technical issues with it, and NONE of them are being fixed. They've been around for years and Microsoft hasn't shown any indication that they're working on them.

Discord has the potential to replace both skype and teamspeak in one app, and with 1 on 1 calling it's going to be even better. This program is really what I've been waiting for because it's the best of two worlds. No longer do I have to be in skype and have someone tell me to 'get on ts.' and then switch apps.

The mobile version of this app is so much better than skype ever was. The messaging is better and it doesn't make me want to vomit. There's just do much about discord that's better, and with the features yet to be added I'm hyped to see where it goes. You should be too.
    Edit: Main reason to have/keep Discord is because it's free, it's good and can be operated easily. I know someone is going to say "but we're used to teamspeak", then get used to Discord as you did TeamSpeak.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. Might not be a bad idea. Best to wait for it to progress. After all, it's not complete. Linux users are also alienated as that version is not even available yet.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Pandora?

Pandora? Alcoholic in Training VIP Silver

It actually is. When I and a few other people used it when the TS was down, I decided to play around with permissions because I really liked the service and wanted to see if it could possibly replace TS, but I personally didn't think so.

Let me give you the run down of creating private channels in TS vs Discord for both staff and non-staff members. It's in a spoiler but TL;DR it is a hassle to make a private channel on Discord.
    Teamspeak
    - Right click any channel or empty space
    - Click "Create channel"
    - Put a password
    Easy and simple way to create a private channel for either a staff discussion or even just to play with your friends

Discord
    - Create a channel
    Great, now you have a public channel, but how do you make it private?
    - Message a lead (because only leads would have this power)
    - Tell them to add you and whoever you want to have access to your channel to a server group
    - Tell them to change the channel's permissions so only that server group can go in
    - Want to be able to text chat? Repeat everything but for text.
    There's your private channel, but what if a friend wants to join, but you're not a staff member (or you're a mod, but an admin/advisor wants to join)
    - Repeat everything but the first step again
    Not so simply way to create a private channel.
    EDIT: Channel also don't automatically delete the way they do in TS, so a lead would have to go through and delete every single channel not in use, and remove those people from the server group once (if) they leave.

Okay this takes about a minute or so, but why do we want to add more work for a lead? This would require them to be on constantly, which they can't

Basically, it's a huge transition and "if it isn't broken, don't fix it".

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Kythol

Kythol ok Moderator VIP

I enjoy Discord for some things, but Teamspeak works perfectly fine.

EDIT: As an example, whenever I take part in a speedrunning marathon, Discord is easily the best possible thing to use. You can exit Discord and it'll keep you in the server and any announcements that are made you will get a notification for when you open it back up. It's great for short little things like this, but if it's a longterm server, such as like what we have for Teamspeak, it's quite inconvenient due to things that @Pandora already mentioned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Koanga

Koanga gr8 b8 m8, i r8 8/8 VIP

TeamSpeak can sometimes be a little complicated to set up and may not be the prettiest thing in the world, but until Discord decides to go with a more logical route for private channels and text communication there really isn't any benefit to having it. -1.

17. Anna

Anna before we fade VIP

After using it for the first time last night, I have to say that I prefer TeamSpeak. Yes it is pretty and it looks hella nice and man I would love to use it, but it is so unorthodox. TeamSpeak is perfect just the way it is so for me, this suggestion gets a -1

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Mr. Disco

Mr. Disco Jeff Lynne is a musical genius. VIP

Actually discord allows "staff channels" you can allow people to enter by the rank they have.
    +support

Discord is better.
    Teamspeak has always been shitty until TS3.... now discord is here.

Pros:
    Amazing/Retarded commands
    Up-to date design and UI.
    Does everything TS3 does. (Channels, Ranks, Avatars, ect.)
    The iOS and Android apps are free for download. (unlike ts3)
    Simpler way to kick/ban or mute people.
    Cons:
    Doesn't really have password protected channels yet.....
    Takes like a few days to get used to.

http://thedivinityrp.net/discord/ < I do not intend to advertise. Also this community is intense on some of the racism rules. ( They joke around, but if it is actually serious racism and people are being offended, actions will be taken)

https://feedback.discordapp.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ5XnGb-3t7jCkXdawN2tkA

EDIT: Asked the guy who codes the discord community that I use. He said he codes discord using javascript with their base discord.js

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Mr. Disco

Mr. Disco Jeff Lynne is a musical genius. VIP

Also, the answer is NO. I already brought this up in the shoutbox.

@Disruptionz said "We already have ts setup. Discord does the same thing."

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. CorallocinB

CorallocinB Animeme lord VIP Silver Emerald

I never heard of Discord until yesterday. Now I see it being discussed here, too...

Personally, if the site (which is what I'm assuming you to that picture from, Ancient) must advertise that it is basically better than TS and Skype then there's already an advertisement issue right there. You shouldn't need to point that out, the results will speak for themselves. Personally, it did not speak for itself and the fact that TS works just as well if not better at times makes me see this as a complete waste of time to set-up.

Edit: Silent, sniff a smelly fart out me arse, you can. :woot:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.