Death Penalty

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Python~, Apr 7, 2018.

?

Death Penalty

1. Yay

2. Nay

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

Disco was recently in an accident where his mother suffered from internal bleeding

Several other people were injured and affected, but nobody died.

Disco brought up the fact that he would've killed the drunk driver if his mom had died, which I backed up

fenra disagreed, saying I was fucked in the head for wishing death on someone who has taken another life

I think we should reinstate the death penalty

It is still currently a thing in several states, and at one point was the law spanned the entire U.S.

Now, a few restrictions on this:
    • The person must be, without a doubt, 100% guilty. Nothing can be left to chance and nothing can be second guessed. I don't want innocent people killed by the government if there is a lack of information, as we already have a big problem with false sentencing in the U.S.
    • It must be intentional on all accounts. For instance, a rope slipping from a construction worker's hands causing a piano to fall and crush someone to death would account for an accident, and therefore be unintentional. However, a person who gets drunk by their own free will, knowingly drives in their vehicle, and kills people, is intentional. Regardless of the fact they were intoxicated, it is their fault they got that way in the first place.
    • If all other factors are valid, the affected party(ies) (e.g. the spouse, legal guardian, and/or next of kin of the deceased) must make the choice to enact the death penalty on the guilty party. This one is pretty self-explanatory. However, if there are multiple fatalities (over 3, I guess), the guilty party is subjected to the death penalty regardless
    Pros:
    • Your taxpayer money doesn't go towards keeping murderers alive
    • The affected party(ies) get some kind of peace of mind
    • It's fair
    Cons:
    • Another human life is taken
    • ?
    Now yall may be itchin' to post that "an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind", and, in a sense, yeah, s'pose it does, but the current system is pretty rigged as it is:
    If the guilty party has a lot of money, they can get bailed out
    If the guilty party has no money, the affected parties are left with nothing
    If the guilty party doesn't have enough money to get bailed out, but doesn't have nothing, it will not give the affected party their loved one back

What do yall think?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  2. Xproplayer

Xproplayer VIP Silver

SGM forums aren't really a place for intellectual conversations. This is for shitposting about video games.

Edit: I'm guilty of trying, but idgaf.

• Confusing Confusing x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Witchking

Witchking VIP

Stretching the definition of intentional a bit far.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Kyül

Kyül Caged Bird VIP Bronze

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

My state was actually the first ever English speaking territory to ban the death penalty. It isn't as quick a process as we all like to think. That person who is set to die still sucks up our taxes for 10 or so years. When you are sentenced to death they put you in jail for awhile just in case you would like to appeal the case or argue for re-sentencing. While they are in prison they are housed in special areas, and those special areas had to be built by the prison. These areas are not cheap. You need a spectator viewing area, you need to provide alternative death sentencing methods (upon the request of the guilty) and you need to provide a special cell block for the people on death row. These numbers add up and even if that is only a one time charge, you still have to maintain these facilities. Prisons are going to spend a shit ton more if they have a death row vs if they don't.

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/innocence-and-death-penalty

I don't really have a stance on this. I don't intend to ever commit murder so it doesn't matter too much to me but i'd rather not let emotions run the court system. If your answer to "what should we do with the murderers?" is simply "kill them all" then I don't know very well what to say. Could you imagine if all the sudden your brother was being accused of a murder he didn't do, and his life is now on the line? Then consider there is nothing you can do because the courts are in charge now. You might say you would disown your brother but you know that isn't true.

Overall, i'm pretty neutral here with a little bit of a lean towards no death penalty. Though I live in Michigan so I don't really got to worry about the death penalty.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Lion

Lion Ryan's Favorite Admin Banned VIP

Going on this kinda. It is currently cheaper to lock them up for life in general population then it is to give them the death penalty.

*neutral on this convo*

• Like Like x 1
  7. Siddo

Siddo Banned VIP Bronze

So you want to slay them for RDM? ... As moderator I sympathize.

That said, life in prison seems like a more appropriate penalty in general. An eye for an eye is easy and provides more immediate satisfaction.
    But them spending life in prison is a way more appropriate punishment than just an easy finish. Sure, they get to live. But they don't get to be free, that is their penance. It may cost money to keep them under lock, but so does killing them and maintaining equipment necessary for that. And while alive, they can do penal labor - which in turn at least makes their life hold some value.
    Executing them by any means, that doesn't undo the harm done nor does it promote healing for involved parties.

Capital punishment should be reserved for serial killers and other psychopaths. Death penalty should be very, very rarely used.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Braap

Braap Member

If you restrict the death penalty to those two rare crime cases though, I feel that it loses the whole point of the death penalty, which is the fear factor (serial killers and psychopaths probably aren't afraid of death anyways).

Also, with the manual labor part, I'd fully support that if they could actually do manual labor. Too many humanitarian concerns prevent jailmates from doing beneficial tasks like picking up trash off the side of the road anymore.

There is still the problem with overflowing prisons, which would only slightly be helped with the death penalty. Maybe outsource prisons to other countries? (only half joking)

9. Siddo

Siddo Banned VIP Bronze

australia.mp4

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Witchking

Witchking VIP

Work camps are a better solution.

• Dumb Dumb x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Ted

Ted The knight in white armor! Silver

I will not put up my voice about death penalty, but when a homeless man here throws a rock into the police department because he has a better life in prison then outside during the winter I believe it says enough about the current justice system in Europe

PS:
    To add up, here in the Netherlands we still have the death sentence, it is just not ruled out because it is inhuman or something like it maximum punishment somebody can get here is 20 years + TBS, so you might be free after 15 years for good behavior or even before that.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Witchking

Witchking VIP

Reasons to support work camps:
    1) They pay for themselves.
    2) They dont cost anything.

• Dumb Dumb x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

Pretty sure that's just different wording for the same point

14. Witchking

Witchking VIP

I know

• Confusing Confusing x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  15. Juice Juice™

Juice Juice™ VIP Emerald Bronze

I am 100% for the death penalty, so long as four key factors are met:
    1. The crime is extremely serious (Murder, Pedophilia, Rape, Grand Larceny on a Corporate Scale[Aka, Ponzi Schemes and similar frauds]. I could be misusing grand larceny ,but you get the idea. Theft that ruins multiples of lives)
    2. The crime is proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. If there is even the possibility for error, they will have a 'normal' sentencing
    3. Special Courts are created to handle the additional workload, in order to ensure all sentences are handed out and all appeals filed within a month
    4. Method of death is rapid, within three seconds, but does not require a painless death, thereby considerably cheapening the kill process and reducing the chance of error.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  16. work camps are a great idea.. too many people leech off the system pretty much making the working class slaves. we should fix that issue by only allowing the severe mentally ill and ppl missing limbs and vets and the rest if they are hungry they can get a job or be in a work camp

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  17. Elvis

Elvis TheRockStars VIP Silver

The death penalty has always been a very touchy subject.

I see it as being an eye for an eye. You kill someone you get killed in return. However I know it isn’t like that.

In discos situation, I would have killed the drunk driver as well and probably without hesitation.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  18. Juice Juice™

Juice Juice™ VIP Emerald Bronze

Work camps are fantastic on paper, and completely unethical in the majority of practices. It is quite literally slavery: If you get a bad master, you are fucked, if you get a good master, you aren't going to have a completely bad time, unless that master is poorly funded, then you are still fucked.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Adminツ

Adminツ VIP

good thing we have this.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. there will be a system of checks in place for sure to prevent those things that have happened in the past, but id rather the leeches become the "slaves" than the working class being slaves.. imagine a vet not being denied what he or she was promised bc there isnt enough aid to go around or ppl with severe mental disorders becoming homeless due to not enough aid bc of all the ppl who eat themselves into "disability" or 2nd, 3rd, and 4th generation welfare families.. Something needs to be done. Im all for death penalty but sometimes thats letting ppl off too easy.. id rather leeches be forced to work for what they demand..just watch videos of welfare takers losing their shit about getting drug tested or raging over losing benefits if their kids miss x amount of days at school and so on.. think of how many government assisted ppl purposely only work certain hours so they can keep leeching.. cant stand em

• Dumb Dumb x 1