Answered deadnaming, misgendering, regendering, and alivenaming

Discussion in 'Questions & Answers' started by john redcorn, May 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john redcorn

john redcorn strangers like me VIP Emerald

2. iizzy

iizzy Pastel Pink Punk VIP

no

you don't refer to anyone's deadname or past name just because you're telling a story from a time before they changed their name. that's not how conversations work. if you changed your name from wink to chowder online, and people call you chowder, they wouldn't need to call you the old online name to tell a story. it actually makes less sense to try to track people's previous names to tell stories like that, you would just say "yo remember that time chowder killed a fish" or whatever. why would this be literally any different?

if my friends are talking about shit when I was a kid they wouldn't use my deadname because that's what i went by back then, and it wouldn't make any sense to. there are people who don't know me by that old name, all it would do is cause confusion.

3. john redcorn

In a perfect society that might be the case, but I really don't think you can throw a name out the window forever like that when it's documented.... well... everywhere.

Say I was trying to catch some up in shoutbox about the lore behind nikki and how she's evolved as a human being over the past few years on the server. I would need to preface such a tale if I was going to cite sources with

"Back when she was referred to nilz and had different pronouns, these threads were posted by her (formerly him) https://www.seriousgmod.com/threads/nilzs-appeal.57567/ https://www.seriousgmod.com/threads/nilzs-appeal.51835/ . As you can see, under that former alias nilz, there was a lot of controversial behavior performed by the homie, but she's really turning her behavior around as of late."

4. iizzy

iizzy Pastel Pink Punk VIP

Yes, in this case you are providing context and also explaining that they are "formerly" this name, making it clear that currently her name and pronouns are what they are. If you have to clarify who someone was in a past posting like that, yes you can clarify in that manner, A+. If you're just talking about something they did before solely from telling a story though it's not necessary.

5. john redcorn

Cool. Now I just need to know whether or not the misconduct found against poke was seen as a breach of rule 1 of the staff code, a breach of the forum wide harassment policy, or a combination of both that would be clarified so it can be used as a hallmark in future cases of similiar conduct

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.