consistency

Discussion in 'TTT Discussion' started by olivia, Oct 20, 2018.

1. olivia

olivia queen of dankness VIP

when it comes to mic spam / targeting / harassment, there needs to be more consistency with the way it's handled. you've got mods that are warning and kicking people for saying things like "you're a bitch", which i think is stupid, and then on the other extreme there's mods that let people target and harass people for 2-3 maps in a row without doing shit about it. i know it can be tricky because there's not specific guidelines to what that looks like (other than the n word and the gay f word), but come on. i've only been apart of this community for a year now, but comparing the standards now to even just a year ago, there's quite the difference. i can take people talking shit, but then when it escalates to calling false KOS's, continuous rdm'ing at the start of every round, it just ruins the gameplay completely man.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

I think harassment bans would go down if the staff members were allowed to shit talk other players.

either way, I agree with this.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. TrinityBlade ⚔️

TrinityBlade ⚔️ They question the king upon leaving. VIP

As a moderator, I only go through with the protocol of Harassment/Targeting when there's someone who has messaged me via admin chat or the private messaging system, expressing their discomfort about the situation. I will also warn if it starts causing spam or discomfort for other members too. I believe that because it's a game, and because it's an online community, comments like "You're a bitch" are going to happen, even if it's not meant as harassment. It's not something which I would go through with the protocol for.

Any type of slur is an instant warn/kick/ban for me since they can't be used as light-hearted banter in the same way that other words may be, and is directly used to hate on a certain group of people, and should have no place here at SGM.

I feel like most staff members follow the same guidelines, but I am aware of a few who may be a tad bit harsh on the matter, and will kick for simple cases like the aforementioned one, and I agree that they need to be a little more lenient when it comes to warning for such things. Especially when we're in a stage of SGM's life where playerbase is low, it's not the time to be deterring people away because we've turned into "Nazi Staff".

As for the mic spamming, I don't feel like staff members handle this in any opposing/conflicting way. Micspam is a pretty open and shut case so if anyone is neglecting micspammers or gagging for non-offences, that raises some pretty high concerns, and their superior should be contacted about that matter.

Overall I partly agree with this, I feel like its mostly down to staff members not having full confidence in their ability, and therefore overcompensate by trying to follow everything by the book and end up over regulating the servers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Siddo

Siddo Banned VIP Bronze

If it's making a negative impact (someone is clearly uncomfortable, someone is complaining, etc.), intervene either formally (warn/gag/etc.) or informally (discourage the behaviour/try to shift the server's focus by making jokes).
    If nobody's bothered, consider leaving it (e.g. someone singing a bit in dead chat doesn't necessarily need a gag, but if they keep singing mid-game, it is "making a negative impact").

Not a perfect protocol but a decent enough guideline :sleep:
    Don't always have to wait until someone complains directly. If one player is clearly ruining someone else's time, ya gotta get in there one way or the other :eek:

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. olivia

This. I know when I'm on a server with admins+, shit is gonna get handled. I have faith in every single one of them. But as for the mods, @TricknityBlade⚔️ you're one of the few that moderates the server well and keeps it under control. I can appreciate your opinion but you simply don't see the way other mods handle the server when they're by themselves. It's been pretty eye-opening transitioning to ex-staff and seeing the way some mods handle things when they're the only staff on a server.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Xproplayer

Xproplayer VIP Silver

u cant define it to a letter cause its all contextual and varying. If I call two people the same insult it could mean completely different things.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. Hyper ✿

Hyper ✿ peace lata VIP Bronze

oui oui mademoiselle

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. MemeDaddy

MemeDaddy VIP

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  9. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said
    We got staff running around language policing and real problems can fall through the cracks. Now, I wouldn't support unrestrained foul-mouthiness, but, on top of being an exercise in futility (banning abstract things usually doesn't solve any real issues), there are more important things to worry about.

This is a different angle from @olivia 's original concern, but I thought it was worth noting.

Also, let's talk about how @Voldemort gets away with fa**ot bombing all over the place, which I couldn't seem to o_O, and @Sweer is the one who gets banned, for "metagaming", of all things. I think that would be an interesting subject :p:p:p

• Dumb Dumb x 3
  10. .shirt

.shirt VIP

Why s would they ever allow this? Staff have already shown they have a paper self esteem.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Falcor

Falcor ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ VIP Silver

lol when i finally call someone who deserves to be called a faggot a faggot. I tell the staff i warned myself. Usually when this has happened no staff were on. and like olivia was under pre extreme harassment. So when staff finally come on and ask me what happened i gladly give them video of me calling people chodes and maybe a faggot thrown in there. Sweers bans is a disgusting example of misused discretion, so thats completely different, but also comes down to fairness. Why divert this thread. Youre a fool ass.

Harassment for obvious reasons cant be straight forward like teaching someone the rdm basics. But when mods are kicking people who say fuck a lot, yet i can be called the grossest shit and told the most basic obvious forms of sexual harassment for maps, when a staff member is on. Yeah there is an issue. This ultimately comes down to teaching new mods and reteaching mods how to hand an unruly server, especially when its targeted towards people, whether it was for rdm or just having a feminine voice, w.e.

Tbh tho to me the bigger issue is with the administration and allowing of lackluster staffing activity due to player count and how active the server is. the staff right now should be more active than ever. but idk im retared

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. That is a little questionable and rather silly excuse, lol. And I'm sure you have been in some rather unfortunate situations where that kind of reaction might be the only thing available, but we both know that isn't always the case ;)
    Personally, I don't have a problem with it at all. Continue to say it, and do so boldly, for all I care! But, while we're on this "consistency" subject...you get the point.
    I like. "Personality", eh?

Back on topic, on the flipside, you do reiterate a good point though: I have personally witnessed several times where someone was truly getting messed up by a very shitty person, and those who jump into to shout the evildoer down have gotten warned or punished before the real problem was taken in hand. Infuriating if that continues to occur, and hopefully we can see some positive action come of this. I would caution against overreaching and selectiveness, however, as it could very easily become a very fine line.

• Dumb Dumb x 4
  13. Falcor

Falcor ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ VIP Silver

lol its not an excuse id just liek you to post examples if youre gonna say i do shit. pre sure any active staff member would tell you i own up to everything I say and do.

14. olivia

not really sure where you're drawing this opinion from, i've been playing with falcor a lot lately and I haven't seen you in-game for weeks if not months. so i'm gonna call bullshit on that statement. sometimes you have to fight fire with fire and stand up for your fucking self. esp when servers are unstaffed, or when staff does absolutely nothing about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. .shirt

.shirt VIP

Yes, so let me revenge rdm when servers are unstaffed.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Daddy Nexxus

Daddy Nexxus Toxi-Fessional VIP

Yo, this is why we have street justice. Legalize that shit. Don't wanna get RDMED? Don't talk shit nigggggga

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Pacifist

Yeah. You'd get shit talked a lot honestly.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rozboon

Rozboon Forgive and Forget, or just forget. VIP

100% agree, there's been a lot of times where i will get randomly warned from staff who just got on, not having any idea of the situation and just hearing me call someone shitty or a bitch. I usually ask them if the person who i called such a word told them it was harassment and they always say that they didn't but they are just making sure im not harassing people.

There needs to be someone who first complains about the harassment before you go around warning people for it, because most of the people I talk to and say shit to, are buddies and they do it right back and it's a fun little shit talk game.

Also quality has gone downhill, a lot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. .shirt

.shirt VIP

I’m sure I would, but I’d dish it back with a single care. They probably wouldn’t resign like you.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  20. Pacifist

If I could have shit talked back, I wouldn't have. Besides, pretty arrogant to think you are the one that caused me to resign bud.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1