Rejected Change Hacking Punishments.

Discussion in 'Rules and Protocol' started by Heli12345, Dec 30, 2017.

?

Should hacking punishments be permanent?

1. Yes.

12 vote(s)
    24.5%
  2. No.

13 vote(s)
    26.5%
  3. Keep the same system.

24 vote(s)
    49.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heli12345

Heli12345 iFly VIP

Nice and simple, this one.

Hacking punishments should be global/permanent the first time they get caught. None of this 1st, 2nd, 3rd offense stuff.

Players that cheat are actively trying to destroy the the enjoyment of others by trying to gain an edge in their game. They typically have VAC bans already, and if they are caught cheating on SGM, when they are unbanned, they are likely to do it again. There is no reason to be lenient with these players, so why do so?

• Disagree x 20
    • Agree x 5
    • Dumb x 2
    • Confusing x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  2. Agent Knockout

Agent Knockout Шуми Марица, окърваена! Плаче вдовица, ранена! VIP

Heli....While I see your point,there should be no instant perma bans just cause they did it once...Perhaps maybe a 3rd or 4th offense can be permament?But not the 1st hacking ban being perma....+1 if the list gets changed to(or is changed similar to)this:1st-4 weeks global,2nd-9 weeks global,3rd-From 18 weeks global to perma,4th always perma.-1 if you just want instant permament bans for hacking....just because they did it once...cruel Heli.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. ink

ink Genuine Happiness VIP Silver

First offense of hacking is like letting the person know that the staff can see through their shit, and should stop hacking. Second and third are already globalized and extended long enough that an average player will not return to once again hack on the server. In fact, I've only accoutered maybe a handful of people in the time I was staff that had global hacking offenses and were still playing. These players that really want to play should get the chance to improve their behavior and still play. Excessive hacking offenses are still permabanned (I think 6 is the number) by lead admins so I think the current system is fair enough. Though, that is not to say that this is an actual problem at all. This is more just about how you feel about hacking than anything. Those hackers that get globalized for 8-16 weeks pretty much always just ditch the server and play somewhere else.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  4. Carned

Carned ✘o ✘o VIP Silver Emerald

Honestly I could only support it on a second offence.

I do believe in second chances hence why i couldn't support a 1st offence perma.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. CorallocinB

CorallocinB Animeme lord VIP Silver Emerald

Past hackers have changed their ways VIA the system we've put in place and became staff eventually and good people within the community. If they just want to continue to sully their reputation and get banned constantly for hacking it's easy enough to ban them.

Because the rules in all essence are built around leniency and forgiveness. That's the core of the rules in this community. Aside from Leaking or breaking actual laws which result in auto permas (for the most part, depends on who you are and who you know :cool: you'll get off for a month at least) then this isn't what the rules are about.

Besides waiting a long ass time for a ban you know will end but in like 4 months is more torturous than a perma ban.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Scotty

Scotty Heroes come and go, but legends are forever. VIP Bronze

Permanent seems a bit extreme.

The reason we have the hacking punishment the way it is so for two reasons

1. We don't want people thinking we are ban hungry and global hungry by making the first offense Global as that seems a bit too much in most of the admins and most of the current staff members. And its mainly a warning to let them know we can see it.

2. If they do get caught again on our servers its a longer global in general.

Excessive Hacking and anything of that nature should be left to the leads discretion due to the fact of it being such a rare case. People who normally come on and hack just for fun or make themselves better. All the excessive hacking and permas are taken case by case. A perma ban for one instance of Hacking is a bit too much imo. There have been some recent cases of permas given by Opalium due to excessive hacking and ban evasion if you look at the perma ban list.

-1 from me dude sorry.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Smusha

Smusha Meme Marine & Staffin' Machine VIP

If people have a rich history of hacking and they show that they are not going to stop no matter how many chances they were given you won't see them around anymore.
    The current punishment system allows for a good balance of punishment and leniency.The first 4 week ban is there in order to encourage change in their behavior and show them that tricks like that don't work with us. The second punishment is an 8 week global. As a moderator it might not look like much to you but 8 weeks off every single one of our servers is a hefty amount of time already, and that is just the second offence.

We treat any kind of hacking the same way (from bhopping to aimlock to full on aimbotting, T finder wallhackers that only join to mass rdm and then never come again).
    Our current system separates the good from the bad, because believe it or not there is a fair chance that not every hacker you will encounter is a total asshole whose only wish is to wreck havoc on the servers.
    You wouldn't ban someone globally and permanently for their first offense of anything else, so why should hacking be any different? Sure, hacking is more severe, but so are the initial length of the ban (4 weeks for a second offence as opposed to a 5day ban for RDM and leave First Offense or a and then an instant 8 week global ban for the second offense)

The system works and there is no need to change, especially not such an extreme one.
    The servers have not suffered any major damage because we do not permanently ban hackers on their first attempt and they never will. This is not something that puts the community at risk.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Jässa

Jässa Thick thighs save lives VIP

+1 to atleast changing it to being more punishing, probably not 1st = permanent.
    1st punishment should be globalized 4 weeks and 2nd permanent. IF they do truly regret hacking after 2nd time they can later on make an appeal.
    Any intelligent hacker can subtly ruin countless rounds for other people before getting caught and if they do slip up somehow, they get a slap on the wrist and learn what to avoid next time to not get caught.
    Likewise if someone is just Mass RDMing with the hack jumping from 1 server to another once getting banned, it should just be permanent, theres no reason to keep the player around while hes doing that. And again if they truly want to play on these servers they can make an appeal.

It doesnt look like much once you realize someone can be hacking for weeks or months ruining peoples gameplay and the punishment they get is only 8 weeks off(4 weeks local 1st time) and they can come back knowing what to avoid.

9. nikki

nikki Dutch female gamer: cocky, rude/toxic. VIP Bronze

i think the lengths of the bans are fine, but i would really like to see 1st offense hacking a 4 week GLOBAL ban, if loopholing, toxic gameplay, and ghosting are all a global ban, 1st offense hacking should be too.

i often see hackers banned from USnilla, and 2 minutes later i see them playing on EUnilla, lol.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Agent A

Agent A Veni, vidi, vici VIP Silver Emerald

1st offense of ghosting isn't a 4w global ban.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

I agree that 1st offense should be a 4 week global. This offense is not server-specific, like RDM or ghosting. It's something that can be used on every server and is 100% malicious

2nd offense should be 16 week global. This is more than enough time to figure out that what they have been doing is wrong and give them a last chance to change

3rd offense perma. There is no reason that after being banned off every server for 6 months total that they should be allowes to continue to hack
    Not only are the resources to catch a hacker immense compared to all other offenses (suspecting a hacker, recording sufficient evidence, getting the ban globalized and extended (if not admin), dealing with an appeal if they decide to make one, etc.) but hacking is a malicious act from the get-go

I think this is the best course of action. Why be lenient for an action that can be in no way a mistake?

12. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

hacking on a gmod server?

why

[​IMG]

the hacking bans are fine btw. Think of the implications, if we perma ban for hacking 1st then moderators need to have the ability to perma ban. That is a lot of responsibility and will 100% get abused. I mean I know for a fact that I have messed up a few times in judging whether or not someone was hacking and I would hate to see that person perma banned for a dumb mistake or possibly without them even having had hacks. You understand that gives way too much power to us mods right? If they appeal and we deny their appeal that's it. There is no leniency and there is not second changes. You are sentencing someone to death for something they might not have even done based off the slight suspicion.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Xproplayer

Xproplayer VIP Silver

Should be stricter but not that strict. I used to hack when I was a kid but most people grow out of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Iuna

Iuna Goodnight moon VIP

I personally have banned players for hacking, and later seen them come back and no longer hack. People can change for the better. We already permaban players for excessive hacking offenses, and our current system works just fine.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Chewie

Chewie deadrun mod VIP Bronze

Definitely not perma ban, we have some pretty good members who have gotten banned for hacking previously, and have even become staff members. -1 from moi

16. Salem

Salem VIP

The only change I would make to our current way of handling hacking bans is changing first offense to a global ban as well.

I've seen people come on the server to troll and hack etc and later they end up actually liking the community and decide to stop behaving that way, no need to just hand out permas to avoid having to hand out multiple offense bans.

Plus like Paci said, then mods would need the ability to perma and I personally believe that's too much responsibility and leaves too much room for potential mistakes. We are still people, and I have seen hacking bans be appealed. Why take away that option?

Agree with Luna all the way.

-1 All the way, I can't think of one reason this should be considered.

17. Hacking is a players way that they have no intentions of playing the game as intended and they're doing it KNOWING that they're breaking the rules. Theres no point in keeping the unwanted around, especially if they're server hoppers.
    +1

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. nigel benn

nigel benn VIP Silver

4w is fine but first offense should be global

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.