Can we Clarify Harassment?

Discussion in 'TTT Discussion' started by Juice Juice™, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juice Juice™

Juice Juice™ VIP Emerald Bronze

Nope. You didn't answer that. And its a thing that needs to be answered, because I have heard of it happening before, and it will most definitely happen again. Why are you so afraid of getting confirmation before punishing? Who does that hurt? If something was rude, but directed at someone who just didn't care, why should that rude thing be treated the same as someone calling another a cunt, faggot, nigger, something along those lines?

2. neutral

neutral Banned VIP

Since you quoted every post, except, for the one where I addressed it, gotta wonder the intention of that. Here it is below:

This same user would very likely in this situation, not want to push as a harassment claim as it's very likely that they have a crushed self-confidence at this point. Yet, it's very clearly harassment and should be dealt as such. Your proposal removes all of staff's ability to address it.

As I mentioned, I'm not in the mood to run laps to continue discussion that has already been discussed. If you have anything new to contribute, let me know.

3. Juice Juice™

Then I should be banned for calling Skyrossm a weeb. I'd give more examples, but we all call Sky a weeb and its the ost well known. Helix or I should be in trouble for our banter
    That is just a stupid comparison, especially when you are on the side of "Harassment should be entirely discretionary". RDM is the farthest thing from discretionary.

4. john redcorn

john redcorn strangers like me VIP Emerald

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  5. Juice Juice™

I
    I must have missed the click on that. It still doesn't address what happens with friendly banter being taken the wrong way. Or really cover the majority situations, which are two people being briefly nasty to each other but being completely fine. And, as shown in a certain report, being passive aggressive, which can be as crushing as anything else, just isn't considered to be harassment.

6. Juice Juice™

Staff. Don't. Always. Have. Context.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  7. neutral

neutral Banned VIP

8. zomborg

zomborg "She's like a little Satan." - CDriscoll 2015 VIP

So far this thread has been pretty unanimous in their statements except you, Silent. Perhaps you need to introspect how you handle people treating you, both positively and negatively, and then act accordingly.

Skyrossm doesn't care about you calling him a weeb, nor does anyone else. You guys are friends and as long as Sky doesn't care, nothing is going to really be done about it.

There's a difference between calling a friend a weeb and being like "wow, go fucking kill yourself" to them. If a staff member takes friendly banter negatively, it's up to you to provide context and up to them to clarify with both parties to make sure it's all good.

Harassment is going to stay discretionary because there's zero possible way to have it be classified under anything blanket except for the few things like racism and the like, which are already spelled out for you. There's literally no point to this other than for you to argue post after post.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. Juice Juice™

Noctorious disagreed. You disagreed at one point. While I was expressing I wanted harassment to be further clarified, Nocotrious made me realize that that what I wanted was a protocol change.

Say that a staff member takes it wrong and you get banned. I have staff on my friends list, so I can find out who and why. If you don't have staff, you have to wait out the ban.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  10. neutral

neutral Banned VIP

You're able to add staff members on steam while banned.

11. Juice Juice™

Ok, at this point, you are the one making this go in circles.
    WHAT ABOUT A MISUNDERSTANDING WITH FRIENDLY BANTER. What is so wrong about having staff ask for player input before deciding if that player is feeling harassed? Yes, there can be situations where the person is so crushed that they will just say 'whatever'. Let staff use discretion THEN. Not right off the bat

12. ZeRo

ZeRo :sneaky: Banned VIP Silver

That isn't how the ban system works at all. Like @HelixSpiral mentioned, you can try to add staff and ask why you were banned as well as understanding the circumstances that led up to the ban.

13. Juice Juice™

Not if you can't find them. Not if they don't accept.

14. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

Harassment is going out of your way to target another user that damages the user physically, emotionally, or psychologically.
    This includes threats, direct (or, in some cases, indirect) actions or contact, or doing something they made fully aware they did not like in the past.

Common sense, like in TTT, can be applied when handling when a user claims harassment. But only if it's clear that the user is only reporting a minuscule act that most others would not find offensive whatsoever.
    However, acts like these can be taken as harassment if, and only if, you have been previously warned to not many any contact with the user. Or specifically told not to do said minuscule act.

That's just my take on it.

15. ZeRo

ZeRo :sneaky: Banned VIP Silver

Because public statements can easily be misinterpreted. Especially if you phrase it in a way that appears extremely hostile and aggressive against the victim. Depending on the situation, a staff member may have to step in even if the victim doesn't say anything because such comments can degrade other player experiences at the process and not just the victim's.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  16. zomborg

zomborg "She's like a little Satan." - CDriscoll 2015 VIP

I disagreed with something that you made up, according to Robo.. Considering there's no proof there, I didn't really disagree with anything of substance.

"Waiting out [your] ban" is the process for pretty much all servers- it is rare that you can find a server like this where you can appeal or speak to staff. You had as much opportunity as anyone else to speak to someone about your ban, but you had to wait it out. That doesn't suddenly mean that things need to change.

Edit; It is a courtesy to allow you to appeal a ban. No one "deserves" the right to appeal- if you get banned and have to wait out the full term, perhaps you should consider what got you banned in the first place and perhaps do your best to prevent it from happening again.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  17. neutral

neutral Banned VIP

18. Juice Juice™

Yes Helix. Let us not create a situation in which Staff are required to contact players first, get more context, and then use discretion. Less information is always best information, especially when working with opinions.

• Dumb Dumb x 2
  19. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

This is the definition of harassment. We leave it broad because otherwise it would be abused. There is no sense in defining something further when we clearly can't apply it to every situation if we get too specific. We can sit here all day and think of all the what if's, but at the end of the day we don't have the time or the luxury. In your situation we would have to establish what a motivation for saying those things are. Is the person actually trying to harm you or is he just saying it as lighthearted banter? Some mods and admins see it differently. This is, the most clear argument I can make to you. If you want to go about changing the harassment protocol I'd suggest you make a suggestion, but if we are debating what harassment really is at its core, the definition in yellow is the one we go by.

Also, this is just a post out of my admin textbook.
    [​IMG]
    This threads purpose is to get an idea of what harassment is, not to debate on what you believe it should be. If you want to make a suggestion... feel free.

Locked.

• Winner Winner x 13
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.