Bring back Black Mesa

Discussion in 'Maps' started by Acnologia, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Acnologia

Acnologia modern desperado VIP Silver

Black Mesa. The one and only map where players could ride hoverboats and use a deadly traitor trap that would poison everyone who was within the compound area. What's not to love?
    [​IMG]
    I remember it being really, really fun to play on as a regular. And as a community, we aim to please the regulars. It was added on the Third Anniversary and removed later on.
    Now, here's a few points of interest to anyone who wants to counteract my suggestion:

• Touching the levers would still be traitorous.
    • In order to activate the trap, you'd still need to know the sequence order to activate it via the levers, and while taking the time to do that, you have to be on your guard and make sure you don't get killed.
    • The damage taken by the trap would be logged in the damagelogs to whoever activated it (new RDM manager and whatnot)
    • Didn't like the explosive barrels near the entrance to the compound that could blow everyone up? Not to worry, we can easily move those elsewhere.
    • The map is big, but not too big as where we can call it a DarkRP map and not a TTT map.
    • And let's be honest, people just had loads of fun banging against each other in the boats.

Thoughts?

• Agree x 17
    • Like x 5
    • Disagree x 3
    • Winner x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Dumb x 1
  2. BagelRama

BagelRama Regular Member

YE BRING BACK BLACK PEO- I MEAN MESA I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT BLACK MESA IS BUT IF ITS A THING THEN BRING IT BACK.

• Dumb x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
  3. JackThePumpkin

JackThePumpkin VIP Bronze

Not the only map with hoverboats*******************(thx acno yes), but it was nice, yes.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Timo654

Timo654 EU BEST VIP Silver

ya it's the only map I remember from 2016 days when I apparently played here.

+1

5. Boomshakalaka

Boomshakalaka VIP Bronze

Looks cool :D

6. Good Noodle

Good Noodle VIP Silver

+1 good map

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  7. Carned

Carned ✘o ✘o VIP Silver Emerald

I can't wait for people the make threads daily complaining about it!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. -tyler

-tyler My trial was filed as a crazy suicidal head case. VIP Bronze

Ehhhhh.
    Neutral.
    I really liked this map but I swear to god all I heard was fuckin people complaining about it.
    It's a nice map though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Togo ✿

Togo ✿ Nobody Gets it VIP Silver

the boats were just a gimmick that was only fun when somebody didn't activate the helicopter
    anyone can poison the compound, not just the traitors, plus the compound area is like 85% of the map. Having a gimmick where innocents can poison 85% of the map isn't the best idea
    It was only really fun for people who liked to troll because there were so many things to do troll wise like loopholing, activating the switches and helicopters and camping at the lower level with a health station and just waiting for the T's to die out trying to get to you because the poison was activated. Not to mention this was staff hell.
    funny meme there bud
    it was removed for good reason because if you can remember back when it was in the rotation people went to on the forums to bitch about it like 2 times a day.
    no shit, but there are ways to get past this. for example, there was a 2 person srtat that worked like 90% of the time when people wanted to turn on the poison. They would both run to the factory, the first to get there would do the levers the second would block the door with a barrel to give the other guy time to flip the levers. It wouldn't matter if it's a t act and someone did this because they would have the poison on by the beginning of the round with nobody stop them
    like I say above there is a way to bypass this, plus it only takes around 10-15 seconds to do the levers. So if someone makes a scene and people are distracted it is pretty easy to do
    I am not much of an expert with the logs, but would this be hard to do? But you're acting like its a 10-second fix
    Even if you did move them it's not going to fix the map. Also, why did you use we? Are you speaking on behalf of the people who can fix it or the whole community it self?
    yeah the map is big but in around 80% of the rounds that play out the poison is released making around 85% of the map giving you damage if you're in those parts.
    for the first few times of the map being played, after that they just felt boring.
    lots

1. It's too much of a hassle map viable to play
    2. To make it viable you have to remove some of the fun parts
    3. In its current state it's staff hell
    Also, we all know that things suggested don't get added in so whats the point?

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Acnologia

We have a lot of "gimmicks" on a lot of current maps. Adding one map back that contains such objects won't be too much harm, if any at all.

Everyone camps the lever area, waiting for someone to touch them. At the instance that someone does, they instantly get killed. There's a risk factor of going into the compound.

Everyone wants to help out, but in the end (not blaming), the owner is the one who has the final say, not us. You yourself have made many suggestions.

Teamwork is something that innocents can do as well. You just need to co-ordinate.

Yeah, and nowadays people complain about weapon stats and the need to buff/nerf them. There will always be something wrong for someone. For example, Lazertag and the new MC_Rooftops (broken textures in the map after it which literally give people headaches, an actual health hazard).

Once again, it's something that doesn't happen all the time. I don't seem to recall every single round on that map being "Traitors won" because of this.

There was an entity problem with one of the special weapons in the recent maps, which didn't get logged properly in the logs. Once notified, it was easily taken care of by @Opalium .

Obviously people that can fix it? Duh?

The entire water region in mc_mythic is poisonous once the trap is activated by a traitor. Nobody complains about it, they just have a good time. This one had more vocal complaints because it was a modded server map, one which was largely played. Obviously in such a scenario there are going to be concerns from the public.

• A lot of the maps are like that, and not everyone feels that way.
    • Ofcourse, hence why I noted some of the changes that can be made in the OP. They're relatively easy to do.
    • Have you tried staffing after the new RDM Manager was introduced? There's no way you can say that for certain, and with the tools that staff have now, it's far more easier to moderate on maps like that than it was a year ago.

As said before, no harm in trying to bring something to other's attention. Especially one that's fun.

Thanks, I appreciate you coming back so quickly after your farewell just to argue with a simple map suggestion because it was made by me.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Xproplayer

Xproplayer VIP Silver

fuck no. even if you removed the radiation still fuck no as the map was extremely linear and chokepoint hell.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  12. BorkWoof

BorkWoof VIP

The poison wasn't really a fun mechanic
    Airboats were fun for like 5 minutes, a handul of players got to use them, and heli countered it
    The map is just squeezed together and it doesn't really look neato

It was removed for a reason

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. Penius

Penius Aye man, you're shaking it all wrong VIP Bronze

1+ Seems good,

14. Paradox

Paradox The One Eyed Ghoul Banned Elite

Why not add v2 with no toxic secret

15. Opalium

Opalium Stay Awesome Banned VIP Silver

It is safe to say that Black Mesa in its current state won't return. The question is, will it still be as enjoyable if some of its elements (like the poison trap) were changed/removed?

16. Ashes Relandi

Ashes Relandi ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Weeb Admin of TTT Administrator VIP Silver

I would agree with taking out the poison trap. it affects both Innos and T's which really sucks the map down to outside. I'd say + 1 for removing the poison trap. It would make the map WAY more enjoyable.

17. ink

ink Genuine Happiness VIP Silver

The map while it was on the servers was just a small room of people because of the lack of incentive to go down the ladder for innocents. If we even remove the radiation or poison, I think this trend will intensify and we'll just have the boats and innos all crowded into a small area or at the choke point of the entrance of the facility.

18. Xproplayer

Xproplayer VIP Silver

No.

The biggest issue with the map is that its linear, meaning you go all the way to the bottom and you cant loop back. sort of like 67thway if you want to go from the tester area to barn. On top of that it was small corridors, helicopter traps, rdm central. aids map

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  19. Adminツ

Adminツ VIP

looks like a map where i can loophole. +1 :sneakylove::sneakylove::sneakylove:

20. Acnologia

Perhaps remove the levers and replace with a simple button that's only trigger-able by traitors?