Biology is cool

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Coinston, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Coinston

Coinston "But what if Robots" - Chris Wedge VIP

Biology can be wack ass sometimes, share some of your cool facts.

I think it's cool how Hippos are just so fat they sink and run on the underwater floor instead of swimming. Then their skin doesn't even have to be that tough it's just thicker then any foes teeth or claws so they don't actually injure it.

Pretty impressive that salmon can be living compasses and then their amazing memory, you try memorizing your entire city in a few weeks after birth then remembering what house you were born in 3 years later.

For being so small cookie cutter sharks are pretty epic, being able to feed off of big ass squid hunters like sperm whale and getting away fine is impressive for a fish barely the length of your forearm.

For being one of the earliest top insect predators, it's impressive that dragonflys are still around today and so prominent everywhere. Along with still being one of the top insect predators in all stages off life.

If you were tossed the spiky end of a maul what would you do? I don't know myself but sea otters somehow fuckin eat sea urchins. Sadly theres not enough maul eating critters so now we gotta deal with dying kelp forests.

No one credits trees for being cool but damn, a single organism being able to host so many forms of life for so long, birds making nests, mushrooms, insects, and eagle nests when they die, the main reason climbing exists as a trait. Imagine what it would be like if primates never evolved the hand eye coordination for climbing or the hands for it so humans just never existed.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  2. Dodley27

Dodley27 Dolfin VIP Bronze

Chemistry gang

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  3. LeBlonde James

LeBlonde James Supporter

The Platypus is by far the most interesting natural abomination. An egg-laying mammal that swims proficiently and secretes venom in males. Also they're adorable as fuck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Coinston

Mammals laying eggs is always wack, just reverting to one of the defining factors of mammals

5. Lovisa

Lovisa His queen :3 VIP

although biology is cool, i've hated it ever since i failed my exam cos my teacher is a poopoo head. But it does amaze me how we (humans) managed to get to the top of the food chain and are the most evolved species on earth.

6. Coinston

What do you mean most evolved

7. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

To be more specific, the word you're looking for is ecology when referring to animal facts. Biology tends to be more on a molecular/cellular level.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Coinston

I am talking about anything related to life, there can be cool molecular shizz I just know more about ecology myself so I used those facts.

9. Lovisa

Lovisa His queen :3 VIP

Do you not think we are the most evolved species? In terms of the food chain

10. Coinston

I don't think any species is the most evolved, your position in any food web is not determined by how much you have changed. For example Dragonflies as I said have existed since before Mammals, yet they have barely changed since then so some could say they're fully evolved and are the most successful they can be until the environment changes, same with sharks, lamprey, and ferns. The only reason Humans are at the top is because our high intelligence lets us use tools which make up for our lack in strength or defense compared to other animals. All species are constantly changing and evolving depending on their environment.

11. Twitch.youtube.com.ttv/AAAAAAA911

Twitch.youtube.com.ttv/AAAAAAA911 Now you just somebody that I used to know VIP Silver

Science

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Acnologia

Acnologia modern desperado VIP Silver

That's not true at all. Biology is a generalized term that refers to the study of life, period. It can refer to ecology, it can refer to botany, it can refer to molecular or cellular biology, it doesn't matter. Biology does not "tend to be on a molecular/cellular" level-- that's molecular and cellular biology. In fact... ecology isn't even correct here. Ecology is the study and interactions of life with their environment and other organisms. If you're referring to specifically animals, you're referring to zoology, not ecology.

All of these are different fields of Biology, but they're still all at their root, biology.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
  13. Emily❤

Emily❤ The strongest light is the one within VIP Silver Emerald

Nerd

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1