Other Best handguns to begin.

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Makoto, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Makoto

Makoto VIP

Hello guys.

I want to register in a shooting club in France and I have to choose a handgun. I want to practice for a 25m range (82 feet) category and there is a huge variety of weapons authorized.

Since I'm a complete beginner I was thinking of getting a 9mm. I read that Sig Sauer P320 Compact or Glock 19 are the reference and are pretty cheap.

I dream of getting a double action 357 magnum by Colt but a lot of people say it's pretty hard to begin as a shooter using a revolver (recoil, mechanism, safety).

Is there anyone here who knows well the topic and could give me pieces of advice to get in that discipline ?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Paradox

Paradox The One Eyed Ghoul Banned Elite

To start I've never shot a gun in my life however a revolver kicks a lot more then you may think in fact they are right, also the way to shoot it would be to pull the hammer down and shoot well it used to be now a days just using the trigger pulls it but yes, generally a sig or glock would be your best starting weapon glock 19 will be the most accurate one for your skill level and the most widely used one for U.S Law Enforcement that and the sig p228 Both having low kick and both semi auto, i’d personally reccomend the glock 19 as it is fairly effective, low matinence, accurate, and good for beginners

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Confusing Confusing x 1
  3. Indy226

Indy226 Banned VIP Silver

That's not entirely true, both the glock 19 and p228 have a decent kick which inexperienced shooters could be frustrated with.

As a person who shoots guns all the time I recommend you try a Ruger LC380, Glock 30, Smith & Wesson Model 60.
    Sig Sauer P320 Compact has little recoil also.
    Get a 44. magnum if you want death and destruction.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BorkWoof

BorkWoof VIP

nerf maverick elite

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Panduh

Panduh I love ass VIP

I just got my dad to buy his first handgun last weekend. He wanted something cheap so I suggested a Ruger P89 double/single action 9mm

But if you have the money, then just get a Glock, they last forever, and they are easy to clean. Do you have a gun store/indoor shooting range near you? Possibly you can rent a gun at the range and try out the gun you want to buy if they allow that

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. danstorm

danstorm Caaaaaaaarl, that kills people! Moderator VIP

Trust me, this gun begun a lot of things. Very popular in Serbian culture.
    gun.PNG

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Makoto

Makoto VIP

@Indy226 So you think starting with a .357 is actually not that bad of an idea ? I'm really fond of Colt Python and even the 2020 model looks dope.

@Panduh Well my budget was initially to get a Python sold 1499$ in the US. In France guns are prohibited and the guy at the club said I had to apply to be able to get my gun license so I can buy one. To import a gun, I have to ask the club to do so and they even charge a commission.
    To apply, I have a bunch of tests to pass. In summary, it's hard to see a handgun and shooting one is another story.

8. Indy226

Indy226 Banned VIP Silver

You could if u wanted but beware of the loud gunshot and a big kick to your fingers

9. Makoto

Makoto VIP

I want to feel pleasure when shooting, not pain. I watched videos of people shooting all day long with big caliber revolvers and it seemed to me that .357 was the last caliber where people were happy to shoot the gun before it starts to hurt.

10. Makoto

Makoto VIP

I think I'll just get this 4.25" Colt Python I have always dreamt of :X3:

11. wubby

wubby balls Administrator VIP Bronze

First time shooting was with a glock 19. It has a kick, but my aim was wonderful with it. Also good for people who have decently to big hands. Would recommend.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Pokeben10

Pokeben10 tell me pretty lies Moderator VIP Silver

this is what i started on
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Informative Informative x 3
  13. Elvis

Elvis TheRockStars VIP Silver

There are a lot of different handguns that you can use for a beginner. A lot of people say it’s personal preference what you buy initially because I’ve time of shooting, you are going to get used to the kick, be better prepared for the recoil, and have better aim too. All that learning and muscle memory will translate to another pistol of the same caliber or lower. You’ll have to learn a bit more for the higher caliber handguns. I recommend starting out with a 9mm or .38 special. Back when I was looking into handguns I have shot both. The 9 was lighter, was easier to hold, and was easier to control the recoil on. It was harder to aim with though I don’t know but that’s just me. The .38 special was heavier, but that resulted in me having better recoil control. When shot, I didn’t have a problem aiming. The bullet could go exactly where I wanted it to, 99% of the time. It felt amazing and I wish I had gotten one ngl.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Makoto

Makoto VIP

Very informative, thanks for sharing your experiences boys. :oops:

• Friendly Friendly x 1