Automatic server time display

Discussion in 'TTT Suggestions' started by Deepsea1508, Sep 19, 2016.

?

Should this be added?

1. K

2. Nah

3. Meh(Neutral)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Harry Potter

Harry Potter The Boy Who Lived VIP Emerald Bronze

Great Idea!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. RainyKitsune

RainyKitsune Bark! VIP

Alright, then here's a different thought. Yes. Mistakes are bound to happen at cases like filing reports. I'll give that much

I guess next my support comes from the idea of how long this could take. It may sound simple to simply make a readout for the !thetime command, that procs on every round start, since a trigger does actually exist to do something like play a sound. It's likely to be able to ping for this trigger and to add that in as well.

I'm less of the opinion that it's a BAD idea, and more of the opinion that it's an absolutely unnecessary idea.

Mainly because, not everybody records. Some people print damage logs. Or simply just plop it in front of the staff and say "fix it"

Now, taking the latter not very seriously, we're left with the former example. This also means printing the time readout into damage logs. And who knows how long that could take. I'm not a programer though, so I'm gonna stop there.

But this just seems to me to have such a miniscule effect. Maybe if it were something like getting a Steam I.D. Readout of the person who RDM'd you, such as on the report page, then I could see it as something that would be more necessary. Maybe even a !thetime readout on there as well, if we're exclusively talking about cases of RDM. (Which, correct me if I'm wrong, should be the only reason staff would need to know the time? For old Damage Logs?)

I just don't' see reason for it to be implemented in the way it was presented so far.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Deepsea1508

Deepsea1508 Hyuman VIP Emerald

bind "\" "status; ulx thetime; ttt_print_damagelog"
    u mean like this?
    if so then this becomes the case of will you remember to press the bind.....

4. RainyKitsune

RainyKitsune Bark! VIP

Not everyone uses such complex binds. Or even knows how to make binds quite like that. Heck, I didn't even know ULX thetime worked out like that. Learn something new everyday.

Still, again, you have to account for errors. If your idea is to make the suggestion to make errors less likely, you'd just have to program it in alongside the other suggestion for recording purposes.

Otherwise, you could bind your record key to the game to also present those same commands. Or at least to activate ulx thetime

5. Deepsea1508

i just made it while looking at ur reply, didnt know it could work like that either.

6. Deepsea1508

7. Wex

Wex The enemy of art is the absence of limitations VIP Bronze

Why do you think this suggestion would only benefit those who record? It might have been presented that way because Haruka gave an example of how he could use it, but it would even benefit those who use screenshots or even a reminder of the time to players.

To go back with my idea of how this should work, I initially suggested showing the time every start of the round. However, to benefit those who screenshot the damagelogs, add the time when the round ends, that way it's almost guaranteed to be in the screenshot since ttt_print_damagelog can only be used at the end of the round.

Absolutely unnecessary are poor choice of words. Sure the server can live without this like the majority of the suggestions out there, but players and staff could find a use in this that would make forum reports easier.

You are correct, the time is used to find the exact map rotation. Most of the times ttt_print_damagelog alone is not enough evidence as there are more information within the F8 damagelogs.

8. Yatty ☄️

Yatty ☄️ Yatt'em VIP Silver

Don't know why this is getting such hate.
    [​IMG]

Anyways, this gets my +1 due to the fact how easy it is to implement and only provides benefits without causing unnecessary problems(half of all your shitty suggestions).

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

I mean, It's not a huge thing or anything really to get all bent out of shape over. I wont die if this is added, But I wont really find any use for it. +1 for devil's advocate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. RainyKitsune

RainyKitsune Bark! VIP

Not giving it hate. Just do not see any necessity and I'm starting conversation in hopes to spark discussion to see why others may think it necessary.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. Yatty ☄️

Yatty ☄️ Yatt'em VIP Silver

Wasn't necessarily aimed at you, but I can understand what you are getting at. I just believe it doesn't hurt anyone to add it in.

12. Proper

Proper Banned Gold VIP

I mean obviously, it won't have any detrimental value to the server if it had a toggle feature and was done right to the point where it wasn't spammy/unusable; I just don't see the reason to add something like that if you can just use !thetime or look at the clock (in the case of reports).

13. Valedict

Valedict VIP

What about making it show server time at the top right/left of the tab menu?
    [​IMG]
    (Everything that involves player info is hidden b/c it's not my image)

• Like Like x 2
  14. RainyKitsune

RainyKitsune Bark! VIP

That's take a lot more time to have an auto updating clock that doesn't reuse the ULX plugin in place.

... I think.

I mean, you can't put a chat readout up there, so I don't know.

Even if it were possible though, next comes the question of stuff like would it be any easier than any other proposed solutions?

15. Zombina

Zombina VIP

Wow you guys are kinda being jerks to each other, so much passive aggressiveness in dumb ratings for posts that aren't dumb, but ones you just don't agree with.

Anyway, I'm leaning towards +1. It would save me the split second of time to type !thetime and help players who forget/don't know to use it (before I knew the command I made my reports with my time and time zone). IMO I don't see any reason for the negative/rude posts unless it became spammy. Even Chai said it wasn't a bad idea, and I think it would be Chai fixing it up and implementing it.

I just don't hold out much hope because not much seems to get approved and implemented from suggestions, even with solid community support.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Zombina

Zombina VIP

That's not a bad idea, but I'm not sure what it would take to implement that kind of thing.

17. RainyKitsune

RainyKitsune Bark! VIP

Pfft. I don't care if people rate my posts dumb. Critique is what makes things like ideas, suggestions, and such good. If people think it's dumb, then I should try to take away something from that.

Critique is a healthy thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Zombina

Zombina VIP

My issue isn't critique, I use the dumb rating when I think it's needed, and the disagree rating when I disagree. IMO it was being used semi-maliciously in posts other than yours.

19. Togo ✿

Togo ✿ Nobody Gets it VIP Silver

Why can't it be in the tab menu

20. Hyper ✿

Hyper ✿ peace lata VIP Bronze

While I do feel it would be a handy tool to remind the staff and members the current server time, I feel it would do more bad than good as it will clutter the chat and some would just be reminded to spam !thetime command every 5 minutes or so.