Astronomy

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Change, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Change

Change VIP Bronze

I want to have a more advance topic out here, if that's okay for you; I like to talk Astronomy with you.

You can post astronomical related things as long as you keep track of not to:

• Shitposting
    • Spamming
    • Quoting unrelated stuff

I hope you can participate to make this thread a interesting thread, so that everyone in this community will look towards to partake in this thread.

Some pictures From imgur

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. lil f

lil f That's how the toast crumbles Banned Gold VIP

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

[​IMG]
    Favorite planet.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. Falcor

Falcor ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ VIP Silver

I always though astronomy was cool. Well im pretty sure most do since humans have been gazing at the stars since the dawn of time.
    Only interesting facts I really know about astronomy is that J.K Rowling used names of stars and constellations in the HP series. i.e Bellatrix and Sirius.

5. CorallocinB

CorallocinB Animeme lord VIP Silver Emerald

did you know earth doesnt get hotter or colder depending on if the earth is further away from the sun based on its orbit?

it depends on tilt

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Solar

Solar El Dorado VIP

I was born when the Earth was facing the constellation Taurus.

Oh wait that's Astrology.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Doben

Doben Party Monster VIP

Owowowow that is our stuff @Solar

• Like Like x 3
  8. Darth Gorgamel

Darth Gorgamel A Dark Lord of the Sith VIP Emerald

Give me time and I will respond with some constellation stuff and other astronomy stuff and things.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kyül

Kyül Caged Bird VIP Bronze

#WhiteHoleTheoryFTW

When I get time later today Ill make a post explaining why I support this theory and some minor evidence!
    (Im a huge fucking nerd)

EDIT: I love the fact that someone finally made a thread about an intellectual topic. Keep it going man ;)

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  10. Kyül

Thats actually what gives earth seasons too, and makes the 2 hemispheres have opposite seasons through out the year. It was supposedly caused by a celestial body a bit smaller than earth colliding with earth itself, which of course made everything go boom bewn, but this was before earth had vegetation, so it was still a hot ball of molten minerals and metals. This caused a massive chunk of earth, to be ejected into orbit, which later got together with some of the debris from the other body and slowly formed into our Moon! This also tilted the earths already established poles in co-relation to the sun a bit. But the biggest aspect of this, is that supposedly this body brought with it most of the Water we have on earth today, which lead to the stabilization of Earths crust and opened up the way for life to form. Its amazing how such a catastrophic event caused earth to become what it is today, since without one of these changes, the others wouldn't have been enough to shape earth into a potential life hosting planet.

Mind=Blown

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. BlueGalaxy

BlueGalaxy VIP Emerald

12. Alpha Wolfy

Alpha Wolfy Nocturnal VIP

Supernovas are pretty cool and interesting.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Kyül

Im prob wrong, but isnt that a Nebula? Specifically the Crab Nebula?

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. BlueGalaxy

BlueGalaxy VIP Emerald

It is the crab nebula but it is also a supernova remnant.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Kyül

Oh! I didnt even know that was the Aftermath of a Supernova. Thanks!

16. Renko

Renko VIP Iron

17. Daddy Nexxus

Daddy Nexxus Toxi-Fessional VIP

My research when I was younger led me to the understanding that a majority of the water on the planet actually came from the constant bombardment of ice filled comets/etc during the early years of the planet ("early").

As for the Earth-Moon statement. This is my favorite theory. My personal belief is simply that the Moon formed the same way as the other planet's satellites. I do understand the different evidences leading us to the theory though (the similarities in material on the moon to those on Earth, etc..).

An interesting tidbit : The sun is white.

Good video:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Kyül

Thats an amazing fact that I always forget! Well by its nature its white, but we dont perceive it ourselves. And regarding the water topic, I think the long bombardment of small water (or ice) filled comets is another theory that makes sense, but many factors show that most of the water on this planet mustve come from a single source or strike. And with the theory of the moon being formed by the collision of another body with earth at almost the same traceable period as when the planet starting showing drastic changes in terrain formation and started kinda molding itself together again (probably the effect of liquid water stabilizing the planets temperature and flowing through earth, slowly forming it), it makes a lot of sense that this event would be the single source of both these changes. Again, thats just a theory....

A Game Theory! (end me)

19. Acnologia

Acnologia modern desperado VIP Silver

The force of gravity can sometimes cause comets to tear apart.

20. Veno

Veno Emerald

I took an Astronomy course last semester for a pre-req. Black body radiation was probably the hardest thing to wrap my head around. Gonna have to take a more advanced course next semester, to the detriment my GPA. :/