Asia server

Discussion in 'TTT Discussion' started by Indy226, Jul 9, 2019.

?

Should there be an Asia server?

Poll closed Jul 23, 2019.
  1. Yes

17.9%
  2. No

82.1%
  1. Indy226

Indy226 Banned VIP Silver

Who thinks we need a Asia server?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
  2. Hongo

Hongo VIP

We should replace EU2 with ASIA

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. MemeDaddy

MemeDaddy VIP

Naaa, only people should be allowed to play on our servers in the first place

If anything make EU1 into Vanilla2
    And EU2 into West2-2

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Confusing Confusing x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. food

food VIP

I don't even think this will be a thing, but if it actually happens, I don't even know what language it'll be in: Asia is a continent, not a singular language country.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Hashira

Hashira VIP

Imagine the amount of forum reports on hacking if we make an asia server

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. 8BitF0x

8BitF0x a pixelated fox that loves rdm VIP

Who the fuck is Asia?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. food

food VIP

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. Timo654

Timo654 EU BEST VIP Silver

don't you touch eu2

eu2 best

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Panda With a Gun

Panda With a Gun CHINA NUMBA ONE Administrator VIP Emerald

Did you just say people form Asia aren't people

I think this suggestion has been brought up in the past and if I recall correctly, the main reason not to is because this community is still west coast based and English based. Also there's never been a big incentive to expand to Asia

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Indy226

alright now does anyone realize we would have millions more potential players? especially in places like korea and japan where video games are the hype.

• Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. BorkWoof

BorkWoof VIP

i dont think a 2005 half life 2 mod is the hype in asia

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
  12. Indy226

Um did you know there is almost three billion people in the Asia? High population and generally decent money means there is most likely a shit ton of players. Places like Korea, Japan, and to some extent China have a high middle class population. And hey people are saying Chinese will become the next international language after English.

My point in general is that theres alotta people.

• Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Cupcake Mayhem

Cupcake Mayhem Uncuffed VIP

https://gmod-servers.com/country/south-korea/ -69 in South Korea all empty aswell except for 1 server with 2 players
    https://gmod-servers.com/country/japan/ -8 servers hosted in japan all of which are empty
    https://gmod-servers.com/country/china/ - 115 servers on China some of which are decently populated... but mostly dead
    https://gmod-servers.com/country/united-states-of-america/ -1,843 servers

It's a cool concept, but Garry's mod is obviously not a popular game there. Also, gaming in these countries is very different. For example, to play League of Legends in Korea, you need a Korean account, which you cannot acquire until you get a tourist SIM Card to create the account (I know it's random and may not be super relevant just throwing it out there).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. Indy226

Ok so did you observe these servers based on there time?

• Dumb Dumb x 3
  15. Indy226

And whats next do we need an Antarctica server?

• Dumb Dumb x 4
  16. Cupcake Mayhem

Cupcake Mayhem Uncuffed VIP

Well, do we need to? There's only 8 of them in japan compared to the 1,843 servers here. You can tell just by that, the game is not as popular there. (Those 8 servers include ones that are offline)

17. Indy226

well if you want the times in which most people are active then yes. there could be active players there but since other games are way more popular no one really focuses on gmod for that reason.

• Dumb Dumb x 3
  18. Lordyhgm

Lordyhgm Spiteful smells Lead Admin VIP

Would require someone to dev a server fluent in english and uhhh yea there's a second problem, most of us aren't asian and so don't know the go-to languages or which one would be best to host a server in. Sure it could be english, but I imagine there's really limited interest. Chinese, Japanese, or Malay would probably be good bets along with Hindi, but tbh Arabic or Russian would have the largest number of speakers and likely player-base.

Then there's the matter of staffing, it would require a division in staff since while EU and NA staff have differing hours there's still a lotta overlap and very high english fluency. A server in japan or china would be the pretty much the exact opposite timezone to mine or most of europe, West coast however will have some overlap but less of compatibility.

And here's where some of that breaks down. As cupcake pointed out, there's just too little demand in the major east asian countires but they forgot Asia is fookin enormous and russia and the middle east are included. Russian servers total 866 servers and there's a higher likelihood of EU members knowing some russian with the timezones overlapping. I wasn't able to find any arabic servers, could just be settings or a lack of demand for virtual terrorist games.

So unless there's a massive spike in interest for some ruski this is not going to be happening.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Dodley27

Dodley27 Dolfin VIP Bronze

Middle East server would be nice since I'm getting like 100 ping even on eu servers

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Dodley27

Dodley27 Dolfin VIP Bronze

Now that I think about this it ain't a good idea because I think I'm the only regular here from the middle east

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1