aphantasia

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Iuna, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Iuna

Iuna Goodnight moon VIP

So after some discussion with my family and some research, I realized that apparently people can visualize things. What do you guys see when you try to imagine something? For me, trying to visualize say a cat, I can't actually see anything, I can just think of descriptive words for a cat and I recognize that as a cat.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Ruki

Ruki 目の前で明日が死んでる VIP

I don't really know how to describe it, think of it as Minecraft for example. I can visualize how something will look and how it turns out but not actually how to go about it? I'm probably so confusing right now lmao

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. ryan

ryan yeet VIP

For me it’s the same thing, I just put the thoughts of the item i’m thinking of in my head. But don’t see anything.

4. ECHO-6251

ECHO-6251 The insectoid alien. VIP Silver

Whenever I try to visualize something, I can actual picture it in my mind. As if it were in front of me, as well as any way it sounds, if that applies, taste, smells, etc. (depending on what it is). I can also manipulate it, as if it were actually there, and change certain attributes to it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. MemeDaddy

MemeDaddy VIP

I don’t have defects, I think of a cat and see a picture of a cat in my head.

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Lordyhgm

Lordyhgm Spiteful smells Lead Admin VIP

this came up with a group of friends the other day, i feel and see cat, like a cat rubbing past my leg or arm etc.

same with an apple, or minecraft as per above, what i visualise is with respect to me

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  7. MemeDaddy

MemeDaddy VIP

Hmmm... while I was not born with defects, I also was not born as a super human. Good on you.

8. NeverGhostin

NeverGhostin Mod to remember VIP

I actually can see what I think of. Not through my eyes of course but in my mind. For example, when I play crucible and get rekt, I remember how good other people's aim is and then imagine me breaking my FUCKEN DESK CAUSE IM TRASH

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  9. Robyn

Robyn Floof Moderator VIP Silver

I can visualize things pretty easily. Thats how I have creativity. However, when working in a project, I visualize the end result but I never get that result because I come up with other ideas along the way. Another thing I can do is visualize myself in 3rd person while I am doing something. For instance, I pet my cat. I can visualize what the cat sees, or even from a random point see what I am doing.

10. Siddo

Siddo Banned VIP Bronze

I can vividly visualize grand things. But visualizing small, detailed things, I struggle :sleep:

11. Lordyhgm

Lordyhgm Spiteful smells Lead Admin VIP

dont mistake autism with super powers ',:]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. UncleBee

UncleBee VIP

i visualize scenario's with my penis

• Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. ECHO-6251

ECHO-6251 The insectoid alien. VIP Silver

Kind of to add-on to what I said earlier, I can imagine entire realities and people, down to every detail. Albeit if I get distracted it may be hard to for me to get it back... I think it comes from the skills that I need in order to write well, in terms of novels and the like, so that I can world-build well, and make sure that if that character were real, if they somehow are not already real in some part of the universe, then would they be logically possible. What I mean is, could they be a real, believable person.

I think this kind of imagining, comes either naturally to people, such as myself, kind of, or people develop it over time. I.E. creative people have an easier time imagining things, versus people who think in a more logical, "what-you-can-see," sort of way.

14. Elvis

Elvis TheRockStars VIP Silver

Wait how tf can you not see the cat in your mind?

I’ve always been able to picture things in my mind. From past experiences being completely relived or preparation for future experiences. I can visualize everything I need to but when it comes to the small details I fall short sometimes, especially if I haven’t ever seen the thing I’m trying to visualize.

For example I’ve only ever seen the Eiffel Tower in pictures or in movies so I can visualize it completely but I have no details. All I see is a giant structure that has a lot of support beams and a point but other than that it’s blank.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Is this a thing?

16. Xproplayer

Xproplayer VIP Silver

Generally when thinking of something the mind refers to an image I've seen. I decided to picture what it would look like if I held my hand in front of my face and I was able to visualize that despite not seeing it before, so its like my mind can render an image from nothing, but it prefers to use a previous example as the basis. And its not like some crisp hd picture, its something that pretty much only shows up while thinking about it, and when visualizing something like my hand in front of my face the background is not in focus.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Saturnity

Saturnity SGMs Personal Planet VIP

I can image stuff in quite decent detail, whether i've seen it before or not, only problem is if I try to describe it with words, or a drawing, it goes downhill terribly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Theinkern

Theinkern Inkern VIP Bronze

Just in case you missed what the title is, yes it is an actual thing.
    Aphantasia is the suggested name for a condition where one does not possess a functioning mind's eye and cannot voluntarily visualize imagery. -wiki

And I agree with @Spookturnity , I can do a limitless amount with my mind, but I can not transcribe it to paper. I feel like I can verbally say some of the things depending if the person has seen it themselves.

• Agree Agree x 2