Accepted Allow red in shoutbox

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by Xproplayer, Oct 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yatty ☄️

Yatty ☄️ Yatt'em VIP Silver

So let's take a look at the facts here. We'll break this down into a few questions and see how things look from that perspective.

• What is red used for?
    Let's take a look at the official rule to get some clarification first:
    Well, tbh. Red isn't used all that much. It's used to show staff groups updates(not everyone does this and it's usually only a select few). It's been used to address server popularity and the need for staff. I've even seen it used to hype up a server for a promotion a few times as well.

• How often is red used?
    By players? Quite a bit honestly. Like I mentioned above, some players will use red text to address that a server is staffless and needs staff.

By staff? Well it depends, Looking at both the rule and the general use of red. It's only used in certain moments and even then it's not used that often. There really isn't a standard here and not all staff members use red when making these announcements.

• Why keep it?
    Red is a pretty bold color. Red stands out a lot more than most colors unless it's something obnoxious like yellow or any other bright color.

• Why get rid of it?
    More often than not. This rule is abused. It's not standardized and isn't used as often because well it's just not necessary all the time. Usually red is being used to troll around with due to the rule being a bit outlandish.

• Well what should we do?
    Why not replace it? Replace it with a set format/system similar to that of the ban system.

Format - With a set format in place it will be easier to not only distinguish announcements from trolls but would easily more widely accepted in my opinion.

System - Setup a system that will show warnings being given to set players that are committing offenses. This not only will help with players not being able to see what warnings they currently have on them but also make it easier for staff to administer the correct punishments rather than 3~4 mods warning the same person.

But yea~ That's my 2 cents on the matter~

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Daddy Nexxus

Daddy Nexxus Toxi-Fessional VIP

I don't really think it's that dumb, but it had 33 dumb ratings and I just couldn't pass that up. Love you

• Dumb Dumb x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. AAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAA coolgamer VIP

all i wanted to do was help 2 individuals playing TTT have a better experience

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. CorallocinB

CorallocinB Animeme lord VIP Silver Emerald

So if @Guy Fierium (wtf) agrees it should be removed, and here we are with 35 dumbs 8 disagrees 8 optimistics 1 dislike 1 ("3" xpro and Opal) agree and 1 old

why hasnt this already been changed?

The support of a lead admin should get this done ASAP right? Yet here we a lot of people who've come across this thread (who are also the forum regulars) think this is really stupid.

So what's the situation let's burn this thread to the ground or finally do something about it?

Because the last half of this thread has turned into a bitch and bicker argument.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jässa

Jässa Thick thighs save lives VIP

Yee boii I can tell the future. Seriously, he used as much red as people do in rainbow texts in those 2 lines and then made 1 red line joke and got banned for it for a decent time, who cares? Just about the only thing red is used for anyway is "announcements" that have no need to be in red, like staff group being updated or servers being staffless, its not like its reserved for regular super special announcements and needs to be highly focused on. Stop being so nazi on a rule that hurts nobody.

• Dumb Dumb x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. DocFox

DocFox The Best Is Yet To Come VIP Silver Emerald

There's Few reports for harassment that show you do "give a fuck." Just saying.

Seriously, though. Staff just needs to make better ROEs for the use of red.

• Funny x 4
    • Agree x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  7. ThatAintFalco

ThatAintFalco You should’ve followed the damn train CJ VIP

Red is really more appropriate for important announcements or asking for staff. If you are talking about your favorite game or something similar like that with the color red, it kinda shows a bad impression and doesn't really fit in well with the color.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Zack

Zack Shepherd of Fire VIP

Just a bit of a weigh-in, here.

Red in the shoutbox is eye cancer, regardless if it's used for warnings, trolling, etc. On that premise alone, I'm against it. Then again, it's just a shoutbox on a forum and frankly, if we're so hard up for help that we need SB to attain it, we have bigger problems to resolve than a color being valid for regular use. I'm with Machine on this one, in the neutral/don't care camp.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Rozboon

Rozboon Forgive and Forget, or just forget. VIP

It's one of the colours that does not sit well with your eyes and if people used it they would be asked to change it like so many of the bad colours do, and in that respect I'm glad it's banned.

It seems like this thread was made mostly because of what's happened to you xpro, you report it and failed, then used it and got banned so being your typical self you need to make a post to try to change the rules that you failed at trying to bend, how is someone that's so toxic still here?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

If this were me I'd be banned :thinking:

You've lost bruv. Take the L

• Winner Winner x 10
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Sage.

Sage. VIP Silver Emerald

Holy derail, even from the Staff Team - this is a suggestion, this isn't the place to settle personal disputes.

I think the ruling should stay the way it is. Even though it's not utilized often, it still has the potential to be. Things like reminders of servers being staff-less, requesting staff assistance on those servers should be used in red text, and other reasons if brought to issue; although, they still shouldn't be spammed. Allowing red for all purposes would negate the synergy between red and the importance behind it, being the whole purpose of the red rule - it wouldn't grab the users attention if it was constantly used.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Opalium

Opalium Stay Awesome Banned VIP Silver

[​IMG]
    Or... we could do that.

• Like x 5
    • Dumb x 5
    • Winner x 3
    • Optimistic x 3
    • Agree x 1
  13. Timo654

Timo654 EU BEST VIP Silver

doesn't change the fact that red also hurts your eyes/is annoying just like the very dark blue

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. n0blerone

n0blerone VIP

Very dark blue?

• Dumb Dumb x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Timo654

that's both unreadable and ugly

• Agree Agree x 6
  16. Opalium

Opalium Stay Awesome Banned VIP Silver

Red as a background to text and not the actual font color is a lot easier on the eyes.
    Compare This and [​IMG] - the second is much easier to read.
    Even without that, red is a strong color and not nearly as unreadable as dark blue or dark purple or even something like this.
    I really don't think anyone has too much of a problem reading this sentence.

Do note that we still won't allow eye straining colors in Shoutbox, even if this idea will be accepted. This, this and this, for example, are still not going to work even if they are "red".
    Remember: the main goal is to allow announcements to be easily noticeable without having to reserve an entire color range.

• Disagree x 5
    • Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Dumb x 1
  17. Timo654

I mean yeah, but still I don't really like red as a colour for everyday use. Announcements, sure. But red is still annoying, especially when used a lot

Also, imo 1st is easier to read

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

I disagree. At least on mobile, the second is much more straining. Your example was especially extremely painful to try and look at

• Agree Agree x 6
  19. Zack

Zack Shepherd of Fire VIP

I can read both examples well enough on either platform. Sounds like a hollow gripe to me. Still eye cancer, but in the general theme of an announcement, that's the idea. Tell me that every time you see red in the shoutbox, it doesn't attract your attention, for better or worse?

• Agree Agree x 7
  20. Honestly Xpro you just threw a massive tantrum and alienated yourself from a good portion of the forums because you live in this weird collective bubble. das a bitch move

I do it because it's funny. You do it because you care.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.