Allow Custom skins [Change hacking qualifications]

Discussion in 'TTT Suggestions' started by ink, Apr 9, 2018.

?

Should we allow all [not violating steam policy] custom workshop skins

1. Yes , this isn't CS:GO

23 vote(s)
    71.9%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ink

ink Genuine Happiness VIP Silver

GMOD was never meant to be the next CS:GO. Every single line of the code in TTT is open-source and no files are encrypted. Every model is edit-able and every sound is stored in a .wav or .mp3 format with just a path in the source code. I can go on for many more list of things, however, these are all the reasons why GMOD is not the next CS:GO and was never meant to be. The game was built around customization and there are tons of workshop ad-dons that do that.

In my opinion, classifying these very minuscule advantages like having a glowing ak47or a wireframe deagle as "Hacking" is very ill-fitting for a game that screams customization at every turn. The game was never built around being the next first person e-sports and never will be.

You might say "oh but if you have a white crowbar, you can see it 0.0000001 seconds faster when look around or are in the dark". Sure, but GMOD was never meant to be this competitive. In my opinion, hacking should only be either Aimbot, Wall hack, Spin bot, T-finder, etc. These are severe hacks. They don't give you that tiiiny slight edge over your opponent by making your screen brighter or making your C4 tick jaws theme song. GMOD was never meant to stop people from having a glowing ak and the fact that there are very few measures to catch this also proves this.

Right now, you can only catch this by happenstance and it's just very unfortunate for the player because they could not know this is a thing in SGM, or even if they do get caught, it's just sad for them because there are still tons of other players that customize everything (Workshop has tons of things to do) and do not get caught. You might also say "hey ink but just cuz they don't get caught doesn't mean we stop enforcing it". The fact that this can only be caught by happenstance is a good indicator that we are already in the wrong territory, but the point is that these give very very very very small advantages if at all and it's just unfair to group the single player out of 1000 that gets caught with this to call a "hacker" and put them in the same category as an aimbotter. This isn't illegal in GMOD and shouldn't be illegal in SGM.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Adminツ

Adminツ VIP

+1 I can't use my hentai weapon skins :mad:((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Elvis

Elvis TheRockStars VIP Silver

There have already been several users here who have made custom skins for the game mode. why was it allowed then but not now?

4. Xerp

Xerp VIP

I'm very positive if it's only a viewmodel change, it's not considered hacking. If anyone's wondering

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Graze

Graze Zzz... VIP Silver

I entirely agree. I'll fight this one for you. I'll let you know whats up with it.

• Like Like x 5
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
  6. Xproplayer

Xproplayer VIP Silver

Since when are some things not allowed? I use a custom scope texture on my sl8 that looks cleaner, and custom skins on many weapons, including the silenced pistol.

7. Opalium

Opalium Stay Awesome Banned VIP Silver

Edits that highlight or recolor or somehow alter things that are within your immediate sight (changing viewmodels or world models to be bright, for instance) is fine. As long as these are things you were able to see without the edits then I see no reason to stop you. Mind you, we never did so either.

However, the line is drawn where your edits enhance something for you that you couldn't do before. For instance: increasing the volume of C4 beeps to hear them from distances you normally wouldn't be able, or the sound of a silenced pistol/MP7. These give you a clear advantage that goes beyond the minimal things a model edit can give. These are obviously not allowed. You CAN edit the sound to something else, as long as the volume and the distance it can be heard from are roughly the same.

When it comes to such modifications, just ask yourself this: "is this modification going to make it unfair to others?" and use your common sense. Yes, GMod is a sandbox game in its core and is all about modifying and creating - but TTT is, after all, a competitive game, and these advantages matter - so it's important to balance the two things appropriately. We won't stop you from being creative - as long as you keep it reasonably fair to others.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. ink

ink Genuine Happiness VIP Silver

Just so we're on the same page of "reasonably fair", Wireframe weapons and Neon Weapons are allowed, correct?

9. Xerp

Xerp VIP

Seems so, since we have the rank knife which is basically a neon weapon. However, nothing should be un-allowed for ViewModel changes.

10. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    [​IMG]

Looks pretty reasonable to me idk.

• Like Like x 1
  11. AAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAA coolgamer VIP

Just dont make Traitor guns distinguishable from a mile away and C4s earrape come on guys it's not hard to figure out what's allowed and what's not

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Confusing Confusing x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. I wonder who is guilty of doing this

13. Qaaap

Qaaap 404 User not found. VIP

@Rhienor Your skins are allowed i guess

• Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.