Rejected Add a character limit to the forums.

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by incognito moe, Mar 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Please add a character limit to posts on the forums to stop players leaving dumb-short and unconstructive responses.

• Dumb Dumb x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. Graze

Graze Zzz... VIP Silver

No

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  3. your mom gay

• Dumb Dumb x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. .

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

Or just...don't read it?

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Zypther

Zypther #SuitUp VIP Bronze Iron

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Or don't give me unneccessary notifications that I have to open in regards to a thread I'm actively reading.

• Dumb Dumb x 5
  8. Zypther

Or accept that people are lazy and will type out the shortest response they can. Let me be lazy.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Siddo

Siddo Banned VIP Bronze

This is a dumb-short and unconstructive response.
    Pros:
    - Memes
    - Not a wall of text

Cons:
    - Might not be very helpful
    - Memes

This is a longer, in fact needlessly long response, with some constructive criticism, though it is written with run-on sentences and pointless elaboration on unimportant and barely-tangentially-related information. Not only is this response kind of overkill and probably won't satisfactorily get my point across to you, the recipient, but all the same, it is, in a sense, not needless at all, since it may at least serve as an example and for me, it is humorous to attempt saying effectively nothing with as many words as possible in the given context. Alas, a character limit already exists for these long-winded responses. Imposing a minimum character limit is inherently nonsensical and will likely just result in dumb-short and unconstructive responses with people talking shit about the fact that they need to pointlessly lengthen their messages. It is often possible to make something long shorter without losing meaning, but it's often not very helpful to make something short long as it just annoys people. E.g. "no u" vs "no I think it is more apt to use aforementioned to describe you, rather than myself".

Pros:
    - You can make examples
    - Can be helpful

Cons:
    - Nobody reads it
    - Nobody will ever love you

[​IMG]

TL;DR: Not a good idea :(

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. twitch.tv/echostorm2k ⚔️

twitch.tv/echostorm2k ⚔️ screwdriver Banned VIP Silver

I believe this is a passive agressive way of getting back at yours truly, and sincerely I disagree. Although it may be good in some scenarios, it just makes life harder for others.
    This is what I'd put if there was a character limit. It means exactly the same thing as what I put in your thread. The word "no".

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

I misread the post. Thought you wanted people to stop typing essays - which I do sometimes

However, short responses can be helpful, but in most cases, being helpful isn't a requirement. Maybe in subforums like Q&A and TTT Suggestions, but in Off Topic and General Discussion, it's pointless to limit responses

If you dont want to recieve notifications, turn them off. Nobody is forcing you to read a "-1" on your suggestions, which probably happens a lot

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Orion

Orion He is Exalted Administrator VIP

Sir I do not believe that short replies are a bad thing. In fact it's a good thing because it avoids replies like this one being made with over 600 characters, completely unnecessary and pointless because you can just get to the point in a few words rather than just typing up the entire bible just to reply to a simple thread made in a simple GMod community. I believe that making short replies is the best way to go because it doesn't tire the eyes of the reader and it actually encourages everyone to read, unlike this very reply right here which I'm making extremely long just to give you an example and show you how this doesn't show any love for people that are reading your unnecessarily long and over-complicated reply because you're just making them not read at all. Now that I ran the joke down so much:

No.

13. Cash

Cash I staff the proper way Banned VIP

no
    I feel like you're just negative farming at this point with all these suggestions ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  14. john redcorn

john redcorn strangers like me VIP Emerald

10 chars nah

• Creative Creative x 2
  15. ink

ink Genuine Happiness VIP Silver

tbh I hate the people that drop a "-1" in the suggestions and then literally nothing else. They need to use the rating system if you they nothing at all to add. I have a small data that proves that these people are also ":greyalien:" people so we should stop them. Anyway though, -1 :blackalien:

• Dumb Dumb x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Use the rating system instead.

• Old Old x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. Zypther

I still use that, it's just an addition. Plus I'd get in trouble for how many dumbs I'd put on posts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Daddy Nexxus

Daddy Nexxus Toxi-Fessional VIP

Smh I +1 one of your suggestions and you lose your damn mind.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. neutral

neutral Banned VIP

Heya,

This isn't really the direction we want to go in. If people are excessive with low-effort posts (read: shit posts) we'll step in, but sometimes a quick yes/no is pretty useful and efficient in getting the communities opinions on certain ideas (See: this thread).

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.