Abusing see through walls

Discussion in 'TTT Discussion' started by Fenrir Lokison, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Dani

Dani Impersonating Staff Banned VIP

who's he

2. Santa Claus

Santa Claus Best Member VIP Bronze

the asian guy

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Bruh who cares if he abuses a map feature. He hacks all the time. /s

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  4. Santa Claus

Santa Claus Best Member VIP Bronze

ALLEGEDLY!! allegedly.

5. BorkWoof

BorkWoof VIP

yeah but can we all agree that rice tries very hard and he really enjoys having his ego being spoonfed by the likes of some people
    :rolleyes:

also to the ppl who say its a simple parkour, its extremely high risk if you aren't familiar with maneuvering around in older source games
    the invisible wall makes fights extremely one sided as said before (which is why one ways are like 75% of the time banned in darkrp) and dime's proposed solution is a pretty viable option

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Indy226

Indy226 Banned VIP Silver

I mean the rule of getting to an un reachable spot isn't very well defined in the rules. As if you can prop surf up there than its reachable by someone sense its possible. Im not disagreeing with you on the fact its considered unreachable but the rules don't clearly define the term and that an reachable area and being able to get there in a couple ways contridict eachother makes it confusing to understand.

7. jshore

jshore VIP

u should be questioning why Rice is still allowed to play on this server, not assault

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 do you know how it feel to feel alone VIP Bronze

I don’t really think it’s that confusing. Any area you have to get to with the assistance of discombobs, props, boosting, or any third party item is unreachable. What is confusing about that?

9. Indy226

Indy226 Banned VIP Silver

Because the couple of ways to get up there ( Which means its reachable by broad defination ) and the rule saying its unreachable means they in essence contridict eachother. Also i amazingly have gotten to the top of the tower just by walking over two stacked minecarts which for some reason launched me into the air up to the top of the tower.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Sticky Bandit

Sticky Bandit Never fall below your standard VIP Bronze

I've argued about this before elsewhere, went about as good there as it's going here.

I never understood why it isn't considering exploiting, a clear violation of rules (and if it isn't, honestly needs to be). There's also a spot on the floor on metropolis where you can glitch down. Supposed to be a kill box, but there's ways to get down there without props....so apparently it's not exploiting anymore and it's just using the games physics engine to your advantage (kinda the definition of an exploit....)

11. Syn

Syn VIP

Nade

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Dani

The rule is pretty straight forward and easy to follow. However, to me, the confusing part is that prop-surfing itself is allowed. By prop-surfing, aren't you, by definition, also in a place that cannot be reached without prop-surfing, namely on the prop itself? What's the difference between standing on a prop in mid-air where nobody can get to you or standing on the top of the lighthouse on Minecraft, where nobody can get to you?

The only difference I can think of is that you can shoot from the lighthouse and you cannot use weapons while you're actually prop-surfing. I don't see how the shooting is really a problem, though. If a guy stands in an unreachable area and he shoots at you, you can shoot back, just like if he was standing anywhere else. Sure, it's an unreachable area, but it's still reachable by your bullets. This isn't a game where we're all sword fighting or something. The game is about shooting each other with projectiles, and this doesn't work any worse if someone is in an unreachable position.

Another counter-argument against my post could be that sniping from an unreachable area gives you an unfair advantage because people won't be able to spot you as easily. After all, you're in a place you can't get to, so why would people look for you there? To this, I'd say that there's nothing really instinctively "unreachable" about areas like the top of the lighthouse or the top of the two tallest towers on rooftops. Sure, they are unreachable by our rules' definitions, but it's not like our intuitions tell us that they are unreachable when we're panicking and looking for whoever is sniping at us. I'd get it if it was an area where the Traitor can see me but I can't see the Traitor and he can somehow still shoot at me without leaving cover, but that doesn't really exist.

13. I mean just either patch the fucking wall or punish players who intentionally use it to gain an unfair advantage. It is cheating after all.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  14. Dani

There's two pages discussing whether this should be considered cheating or not and you come in here and make a suggestion that only works under the presupposition that it is cheating, acting like everyone already accepts this.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  15. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

holy shit man. ALL CALM OR VAC.

No but seriously though: abusing that spot is definitely abusing a map glitch and if you are doing it the way Rice and Chicken was doing it than you should be warned. Simply going up to that spot and hanging around up there and maybe looking through the walls is not really a big deal if I am being honest. It is just a cool little spot that takes a slight bit of skill to get to. Unintended maybe, but I honestly think that assault only gets voted for because of that spot. I'll look for a patched version that fixes the nodraw textures when I get a minute. Hell If I had the vmf I could patch it myself. it would take literally two seconds.

Otherwise, this is really not a huge issue imo.

16. tz-

tz- feelin it VIP Emerald

its a skill jump to get to the bottom of metropolis by landing on a trashcan and surfing off of it, just like its a skill jump to get to this roof but assault is easier
    #removethekillbox

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. john redcorn

john redcorn strangers like me VIP Emerald

I think our best interest is to patch a fix through fast as possible than. In my opinion, there’s no point to have moderators on constant watch when playing this map for some the possibility someone might use in an established reachable area to their advantage and warn them.

18. I have no masters.

Attached Files:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Dani

And did you read the "dishonest" and "unfair" part of that definition? It's not dishonest; everyone knows that you can get up there and nobody hides that they're doing it. Neither is it unfair; everyone can do it within the boundaries of the game without external tools. All that's left is "to gain an advantage". You know that gaining an advantage in a game isn't automatically cheating, right? When somebody equips body armor, that gives them an advantage. When someone picks up a gun to shoot people who are unarmed, that gives them an advantage.

But all of what I just said has been discussed in this thread already. It's completely pointless to jump into the thread in the middle of the discussion just saying "it's cheating" without giving any reasons (twice) even though we're at a much later stage of the argument. There's no way you've actually read the thread.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Dodley27

Dodley27 Dolfin VIP Bronze