About usage of the N-Word

Discussion in 'TTT Discussion' started by Sethy, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Indy226

Indy226 Banned VIP Silver

Alright so who here went to McDonald's in the last two weeks?

2. Moleman

Moleman Dr Pepper Enthusiast VIP

McDonalds is gross

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Sethy

Sethy Member

I'm just waiting for the day the n word gets completely. completely restricted in every situation. directed players. or not. it's highly racist and offensive. yet edgelords are here saying it telling us ''It's fine if we dont direct it at people said some mod''

• Old Old x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  4. Sticky Bandit

Sticky Bandit Never fall below your standard VIP Bronze

ok what about when it arises in a legitimate form? Such as quoting the popular novel, To Kill a Mockinbird by Harper Lee.
    In this novel, a black man is being charged with raping a white woman. The novel takes place in the 30s, and characters often use the N-word. Should we go in and... just delete every use of the word? Are we going to call Harper Lee a filthy racist animal?

What about other, legitimate means of discussing the N-word?
    And.. why only the N-word? There's other, much harsher words against other ethnic groups that are more universal in the world.

One final question: Why the fuck does it bother anyone what anyone else says? Why you guys lettin other people bother you? The only people who's opinion should ever matter to you is those who you actually care about. Like when my friend calls me an asshole, I know I'm being an asshole and I gotta knock that shit off. But what some random asshole says online I'm not gonna take seriously or anything, it doesn't really matter when to me when they say "Nigger!!!!" trying to be all edgy and shit. I just know they're kinda dumb and to ignore them, lol.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. Sethy

Sethy Member

Novels dont count :p

• Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Confusing Confusing x 1
  6. Zuko

Zuko VIP Bronze

god this place has turned into a cringefest

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. sounds communist to me dawg

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Noctorious

Noctorious Your Best Nightmare VIP Emerald

Yes, cause there's so many times I'm playing TTT and I think "you know what this is missing? Quotations from To Kill A Mockingbird"

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  9. Twitch.youtube.com.ttv/AAAAAAA911

Twitch.youtube.com.ttv/AAAAAAA911 Now you just somebody that I used to know VIP Silver

The one problem is, so many people use in now and the transition would probably be to big for some of the players that use it often. I don't really care about this.

10. Indy226

What about MLKjr speech where he says negro 10 times

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Sethy

Sethy Member

This is for the record. the n word gets restricted but not the ones that come from infamous people. novels. songs. etc. okay? now get off my back kthx <3

• Dumb Dumb x 5
  12. Mr. 7-Minute Wonder

Mr. 7-Minute Wonder Regular Member

13. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 do you know how it feel to feel alone VIP Bronze

nigga

• Funny Funny x 4
  14. Zuko

Zuko VIP Bronze

nigga nigga nigga nigga nigga nigga nigga im 100% nigga

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. HP Lovecrafts cat's name

16. CorallocinB

CorallocinB Animeme lord VIP Silver Emerald

Hi I'm still around

We're in 2020 and we're still debating if racism is good or bad in a variety of places on the internet or the white house. I gotta update my status.

It's an absolute joke if any of you think normalizing the word/not giving it 'attention' is better than just banning it entirely as if normalizing the word will completely devoid any of its meaning or history in the modern era where racism is still prevalent. If you view the problem as "people like me being unable to accept it being normalized" AKA 4Head ITS JUST A WORD YOU TRIGGERED SJW 4Head Is also obnoxious and incredibly unsupportive of addressing the idea. You'd rather just leave it entirely unaddressed because the work behind it is too much to comprehend. I don't play in these servers but I dont need to play in these servers to tell you to not use this word. I've been in a community where my ideas on social talk are extremely lax in many regards. People are starting to ban the word 'trap' as it's discriminatory to transgender people when to me as a weeb it's not anything crazily bad. To be this far off the mark on the social acceptance spectrum for the n-word is actually astonishing considering the turn I've experienced elsewhere.

I think drunk dog hits this on the mark. Stop being lazy about this. This server has basically been tossed into the sewer in the last year and a half and you're just letting maggots fester in the wounds. Good zing on this server's activity going down rather than the use of the nword.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  17. Silent Rebel

Silent Rebel Lead Shitposter VIP

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  18. Communion (1989) Putlockers HD Stream Eng Sub

Communion (1989) Putlockers HD Stream Eng Sub i'm thinking i'm thinking VIP

It's a gmod server, aside from discussions of the usage of the word that came up since slurs were allowed, you're not going to find many instances where means of legitimate discussion of it are necessary, and I don't think anyone is going to be quoting Tom Sawyer or anything anytime soon. It's pretty easy to make arguments like this with just about anything, but the truth is that I don't really think the scenarios you're imagining where we would need to say the n-word are likely to happen here.

I don't see the point in making arguments for situational problems that are likely never to happen, only to keep allowing a usage of the word which is causing a large amount of problems currently.

The N-word isn't the only slur that we shouldn't allow, you're right. Ideally we probably wouldn't allow any. The problem comes when there's so many of them, and not everyone knows all of them or their meaning, or they're just a regular word in english vocab which has been refurbished to be a racial slur, however, if the rules were to be fixed I'd like for slurs to fall under harassment. If I heard someone using a term like "chug" to describe a native american instead of using it to describe drinking a corona really fast, then I'd try and make sure the staff online were aware that someone was using racial slurs. That word in specific has a lot more "proper" usage usage than the n-word (mostly because it's a common word that not a lot of people even know can be used as a racial slur), but when used as a racial slur, it shouldn't be allowed all the same. The n-word is just a word that everyone knows, there isn't really any way for "proper" usage of it (or at least none that we're going to run into on a gmod server), and it's specific usage has skyrocketed here - thus why me and other people are probably talking about it specifically, but we're also (for the most part) talking about slurs as a whole. I don't think anyone is saying to just ban the n-word and allow every other slur, and I don't know why you're thinking people are saying that.

I think it's important to empathize with other people. You talk about not understanding why anyone would care what a stranger on the internet says, but I also imagine you don't understand what real racial/sexual/gender discrimination feels like, and should probably be more inclined to try and suspend your disbelief to imagine that just because something doesn't matter to you, it shouldn't not matter to everyone else. And yeah, my friend's opinions do matter to me more than strangers, and I know that my friends who are POC and experience commonplace discrimination and these words just for looking a certain way would feel a lot more awful if their friends (i.e. me) were to just be complacent and not say anything/try to do something while a bunch of "strangers" were doing racist shit. This isn't just some place where we're all just passing through, a lot of us have been here for years, for a lot of people it feels like a second home (albeit a very shitty one), and I would just like for this place to not be as racist/tolerant of racism. Simple as that.

• Winner Winner x 2
  19. Indy226

U know what First amendment of the bill of rights is freedom of speech
    MURICA' FUCK YEAH