A Serious Minecraft server?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by EhhChris, Sep 26, 2016.

?

How would you feel about an SGM brand Minecraft server?

1. Get my saddle, this pig needs to be ridden!

110 vote(s)
    68.3%
  2. I've broken enough 3D blocks, let me just play Gmod forever.

51 vote(s)
    31.7%
  1. Mason

Mason Banned VIP Silver

yeah id be down for factions, love beating the shit out of people with my clique

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. GnarBear

GnarBear Professional Dingus VIP

Though this is great for us as members, not having to pay to use a minecraft server.
    How would Highwon benefit from running this server then, could it not be that unless you hold a rank on SGM (Supporter or up) that you cannot access the server?
    Or should the server just be totally free?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. EhhChris

EhhChris Advisor. VIP Silver Emerald

If we went the Spigot route (Factions or otherwise of the like), we could easily mitigate this. I've conceptualized custom plugins that give rewards to everyone on the server on donation.

For example: Player 1 donates, and gets a coupon they can activate when they want. This coupon gives everyone on the server 2x exp gathering, resource gathering, McMMO exp, or something of that nature for a set amount of time. This alters gameplay, but for everyone online and thus isn't violating the EULA as it was defined by Mojang. Players could try to abuse this and use coupons when less people are online, but in all honesty, I don't think that'd be such a problem, and we could always make them unusable without 5+ people online but I don't see the point.

This is just one concept, and we could easily find more. In addition to this, ranks that only give cosmetic benefits (similar to trails on Deathrun or player models on TTT) are allowed. This can go on and on.

However, monetizing FTB will be a bit more difficult and I haven't been able to work through that yet, but it'll be a major part of assessing it.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Fire247

Fire247 VIP

Yeah know, I'm not really on with this. Most people here actually make fun of people that play Minecraft. I'm not keen on the idea of this.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  5. Robust

Robust Active Member

Cool idea. It'll be fun to see @project playing Minecraft.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. UnclewithBenefits

UnclewithBenefits Sir Cas of Wellington VIP Silver

Hey guys just talked to Highwon, and he said that Trouble in Radical Town is a great idea. He will be introducing it to Gmod soon!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  7. I make fun of people who plays MC but I would love to play MC because of exploration like Terraria.

I know, its a weird thing.

8. Ravin

Ravin Determination VIP

Only if it's ftb.

Then yes. If not. No. I admined a Mc server for almost four years. Burnt out on mc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. Xaxago

Xaxago "Goodbye Mike"-Eleven VIP

I would love to see a FTB servers, I honestly am kinda tired of vanilla minecraft servers. They have interesting plugins but they dont bring as much as FTB does

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. avukyi2r3

avukyi2r3 VIP Emerald

I'd play 1.11 lama update unmodded with minimal plugins to be closer to vanilla.

- Money: The server would be setup similar to that of our other gamemodes (2 tiers of perma-ranks, and a monthly rank). Global ranks would likely apply to this too, however the money aspect is not for me to handle aside from features given to users.
    As per Mojang EULA that is illegal there was a lot of shit that happened because servers and modders did this.

Also plugins are fine but modded is cancer since half the shit is MAWPC and FTB is even worst its a bunch of poorly made modpack and some of them break Mojang EULA.

Edit: You should probably remake the poll to know which players want vanilla and which players want modded.
    Edit 2: And modded may not run for half the people who'd want to play because Minecraft is poorly coded and is limited by java. And if the server end up getting modded you would need to manually make the pack because again some of FTB pack violate the terms of the EULA since they block certain players from playing and give certain FTB donator bonus. This mean unless you know how to make a client that download things people would have to do manual installs.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  11. Turquoise

Turquoise Princess of Vanilla VIP

Too lazy to read the rest of the thread, but assuming there's an anti-cheat on the server I guess I'd try it.

12. SavannahBanana

SavannahBanana I Love Bananas :D VIP Emerald Bronze

you are a troll stfu :p

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  13. What is ftb again?

14. Shattered

Shattered pinnacle of mediocrity VIP

FTB= Feed the Beast
    It is a mod pack. Which FTB is a different question though, there's ftb infinity, ultimate, ect.

I think there is most likely a bigger player base with vanilla minecraft, so in the long run it would be better to do vanilla. The only problem is that mc has no official list of servers that I know of, so someone's gonna have to do something with the voting stuff. Then again the voting thing is a way around the MC donation rule thing by getting free points or something.

15. Shades

Shades VIP

If this becomes a thing. I demand WorldEdit and a Creative world inside a portal near the spawnpoint.

16. Osmium

Osmium Virtue VIP Silver

There is just one problem I have an issue with "Feed the beast". When I used to run my old community before I closed for not having enough players. I ran into a lot of problems with it. Mod pack wise, it's really fun to play with but server side, it's such a troll. If the players decided to make a lag build then the server will get punished for it and make it extremely hard for other players and with the issues of rebuilding, reloading and such. World Generation also can take a toll on the server itself. It will have to be maintained and watch for any entity going berserk flooding the resource pool.

I haven't seen Feed the Beast community growing lately.

17. RainyKitsune

RainyKitsune Bark! VIP

Here's the main problem with FTB. Not everyone knows exactly what it is. You have to think about how many players will be brought into the server, and not how many existing SGMOD players will be playing the game internally. Yes, it's popular for things like Modpacks, but Honestly, I think it'd just be best for SGMOD to have it's own modpacks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. GnarBear

GnarBear Professional Dingus VIP

Would we have ICBM? Because though fun, it is dangerous for everyone.
    Holla-ring at all you who know what a Antimatter and Redmatter explosive can do... ; )

• Creative Creative x 1
  19. Smash

Smash Baka VIP Silver

Along the lines of the lag machines or server intensive builds, I assume there would be rules in place to stop these type of machines from being run while the server is heavily populated if not restricted from being built altogether.

I haven't been keeping up to date with the FTB community until the last few days, so I don't have much input on this matter.

You say that the problem with FTB is people wouldn't know what it is and then suggest we make our own modpack. That is completely contradictory, many many people know what FTB is and if we were to be able to bring a new experience to the table would most likely be willing to at least check it out if they heard about it. On the contrary even if people heard about our modpack they would have to find our site and download and install it instead of using the launcher and packs they already know. If we created our own mod pack, not only would it be time consuming as you have to make sure mods work together and possibly even make patches to allow compatibility but you also have to have the mod authors permissions. In my personal opinion, at this point in time there is no safe way to make our own mod pack and be sure to have a playerbase.

Most FTB packs do not have ICBM unless they are geared towards PvP, which may be a possibility but not guaranteed.

20. The Law

The Law You fought the law and the law won. VIP Silver Emerald

Hey it's been a month now, and I haven't heard any talk on this. Are there any updates or news on this? Is this in the works or has the idea been abandoned?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1