A Serious Minecraft server?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by EhhChris, Sep 26, 2016.

?

How would you feel about an SGM brand Minecraft server?

1. Get my saddle, this pig needs to be ridden!

110 vote(s)
    68.3%
  2. I've broken enough 3D blocks, let me just play Gmod forever.

51 vote(s)
    31.7%
  1. Smash

Smash Baka VIP Silver

I'm still very much so interested in FTB, however since the beginning I could see the issues with plugins, donations etc. However, seeing as how a Faction, Prison(insert more game modes) would more than likely appeal to a wider audience and allow for easier management and donation perks, I can see that being a good start point. It would give us a pretty solid "Yes, this is going to work" or a "Nah, not really".

I think that although there are quite a few us of pushing pretty hard for FTB, the people pushing for it would essentially be the initial playerbase. Although that's not a bad thing, when you are first starting a server/group of servers in a new game some key points come to mind.

Growth: you want the playerbase and in turn the donations to consistently increase to allow the server to continue to run and provide players with a fun experience.

Ease of access: for those of us in the community that either want FTB or would be willing to try it we don't mind downloading this or that and doing some extra steps to get it running. However unless a player is specifically looking for a FTB server, there's almost a 0% chance they are going to come across our server and be willing to figure out how to connect.

Continuity: FTB does this well IMO, however it can be overwhelming at the start, in the middle and even at the end. Everything is new, even some basic mechanics can be altered or changed all together, and this can be a major turn off for some people. In contrast, Factions, Prison etc are things people who play Minecraft and would be joining our server have probably heard of or player before and are very basic, entertaining and enjoyable game modes.

With that being said, I think opening a more Vanilla based server at the start and if it's a hit and continues to be so opening an FTB server might be an option. In the meantime, the community could always run it's own FTB server like has been done in the past that would be whitelisted like @Xproplayer suggested.

2. Chai

Chai returned; VIP

Can someone please give me a broad description and scenarios what Vanilla, FTB and Factions really are?

Explain like I'm 5 who has zero knowledge with Minecraft, so I can finally understand and make a decision.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Xproplayer

Xproplayer VIP Silver

Vanilla wouldnt be ideal for a community, you'd want a few plugins like factions and such. So basically you could make it where people team up in groups of 1-10 and build areas and control land, it could be a pvp thing and battle each other or just using the team system so that people cant steal your stuff. FTB adds a million and 1 things to the game in the form of mods, a thousand times more fun but also dangerous for a server since you can make items like nukes that could completely demolish other peoples work so youd have to make sure there is a good whitelist in place and backups. But again with FTB you could do just a team system to prevent "griefing" which is minecrafts word for destroying other peoples work, or you could do it as a pvp based system.

I've got hundreds of hundreds of hours on all types of minecraft servers feel free to add me on steam to ask specific questions

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mason

Mason Banned VIP Silver

Vanilla: Vanilla TTT
    Factions: I believe it's vanilla with factions that fight each other or something, so like vanilla TDM?
    FTB: Modded TTT that significantly changes how the game is played

5. Smash

Smash Baka VIP Silver

Vanilla, break blocks, go mining, build a house, can kill some boss mobs like a dragon and 3 headed crazy flying ass black thing that shoots explosives skulls and then the game breaks down into just building(imo.)

Factions, you can create a faction and invite other people, claim land and then mine for equipment, try and compete to be the best faction while raiding and killing other people to take their gear and keep upgrading.

FTB, Minecraft modded with essentially a library of mods, including but not limited to mods that add new technology(all sorts of fancy shit that I can't even begin to explain in a sentence.) Magic, yes, magic, you can shoot projectiles, create blocks, replace blocks, do mediocore tasks with ease or blow mobs up because, ha, explosions. There's an almost infinite amount of things to do in FTB, you can explore, build, invent, combine and all in the blocky 3d world you know and love.

6. RainyKitsune

RainyKitsune Bark! VIP

Vanilla refers to the game as it's originally made, with no outside plugins or development in place. This leaves Minecraft in it's developed state, leaving a 3d cube placed building and exploring game left. There are multiple ways to play. You can explore, you can fight off hordes of enemies, You can build things as you like too. Gathering resources are an important part of all of these, and when you're exploring the open world, it's important to collect and hold onto certain items.

In short, Vanilla, is simply just minecraft once you learn what that means!

Factions Is like vanilla, but in a Team Conquest setting. You're supposed to start a group, or join one, which acts like a big team for all your friends. You then have to follow the goal of the team. Usually, this is to extend your power and influence as high as it can go! Attacking other teams to take their resources instead of gathering your own is the big focus of this. Like war in the minecraft game you know and love.

In Short, Factions is Minecraft with war, and you can lead your own army or join one!

FTB Is where Minecraft can transform into a brand new game. Modpacks are a collection of content made by simple people who want to add onto what minecraft means. There's tons of new stuff to learn, and it can be complicated if you don't know minecraft itself in its entirety! People adding in their own things like features, enemies, blocks, environments, or even brand new dimensions! FTB is a way to make a reimagining of the game come to life in many different ways. And if you get bored with one modpack, you can switch to another, with all new enemies, blocks and environments once more! Some modpacks may have end goals or objectives, or some may be there to have fun! You just have to remember to run minecraft through the external program to make these changes work!

In short, FTB is Minecraft with much more content that's community made, even if it's a little daunting at first to figure it all out!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. RainyKitsune

RainyKitsune Bark! VIP

I'd like to point out, Chai most likely wanted an easy to understand, but extensive description. I've noticed a lot of posts here are either short, or just trying to push their opinion one way or another. Please try to make a description that's not biased, too short, or hard to understand for someone who may not know what the heck you're talking about.

8. Mr. Disco

Mr. Disco Jeff Lynne is a musical genius. VIP

I'd like to add you don't need to run minecraft and another program, you just run minecraft with new blocks and stuff installed. It's like running a new game, it's all compiled into the executable application.... it seemed a bit confusing the way you explained it.

9. RainyKitsune

RainyKitsune Bark! VIP

Actually, you run minecraft through FTB's modpack itself. At least, that's how I did it. I hope it wasn't another thing that I got wrong. I did fix it though to better reflect this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Mr. Disco

Mr. Disco Jeff Lynne is a musical genius. VIP

Yes, one program. FTB's "client" just downloads the mods, then it makes sure it can connect you to minecraft.net with your legit username, and it runs the game. It's not really any different than the vanilla client. You put your information in, you download, and then it launched the minecraft jar using Java. Then the minecraft Java jar has forge java scripts inside it, that make it look for a "mods" folder, then the "mod.jars" are read by the minecraft jar, and projected to the client/server and make them visible and functional. This is how I think it does it, I'm not 100% sure. But it does sound like it takes a lot of resources, and it will take a lot of ram, about 2.5 gigs usually. It's because Java is a fucking awful tool to run a game with.

11. Hisoka

Hisoka VIP Iron

Minecraft, a game where you can show you creativity and just have fun with friends or other people. I server dedicated to STTT is a nice idea, but the time and effort that would make this idea happen is a lot. Also, it would be nice if this had its own launcher like Team Extreme where they have their own dedicated minecraft launcher. I would give this idea a +1 and if in the case this becomes a real thing, I would gladly support it!

12. Han

Han       VIP

The issue with this is that it will drive away new members. Speaking from personal experience, it's no fun to hop on a faction server and see a gigantic faction that has a base made out of obsidian and diamond blocks, complete with eleytras or whatever those wings are called, beacons, enchantments, and an enderdragon eggs.

A solution to this could be resets on the map, but that just punishes the people who don't play as much. They might spend a month finally getting diamond armor and building a base, and then the map resets.

13. i would love to have a minecraft server up and running and will be willing to help out on the server in anyways that i can wither it be making sure people don't spam the chat to making any small builds and other starting stuff

14. CorallocinB

CorallocinB Animeme lord VIP Silver Emerald

Soooooooooo

when's this happening?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  15. I remember playing Minecraft. I'd probably hop on the server regardless of what it turns out to be. Good fun, diversity couldn't hurt-- other than a huge re-branding... Serious TTT - Serious GMOD - Serious VidyaGaemz

16. EhhChris

EhhChris Advisor. VIP Silver Emerald

That's undetermined at the moment. This post was to get a good feel for what the community thinks and feels.

I'm also going to have to look into the possibility of how we would pursue FTB, to either validate or eliminate that option. I've little experience with it, and the way in which it's run as a server is a bit different than that of the typical Spigot/Bukkit server with modular plugins. It's similar, and some things are only subtly different, but it's definitely not plug and play as far as ensuring a fair experience while monetizing it to keep it open. It'll require some research and being able to prove a valid (and positive) risk vs reward assessment to Highwon.

Before I created this post, FTB wasn't really a possibility in my mind, and I definitely didn't express this concept to Highwon when I mapped out the initial plans. Once I've had a few days to find the time to thoroughly investigate this concept, I'll report back here and similarly to Highwon. I don't want to be a debby-downer but FTB increases the complexity of setting up and managing a server properly, and in my own opinion it'd be easier to get the community started with something like Factions and or other plugins in a Spigot server. That being said, I'm not going to proceed with my plans to Highwon until I've had the time to explore both avenues. And lastly, this is all up in the air; just because we feel we have a direction we want to move in as a community doesn't mean it'll be approved, and even if it is, we'll be having a lengthy testing or alpha period where I set things up and test them before we accept it as an official SGM community server.

• Informative Informative x 3
  17. Pups

Pups VIP

As long as my shizz can't be griefed id love to play some minecraft with you goofballs.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. GnarBear

GnarBear Professional Dingus VIP

Would there be elements similar to SGM too in that, you could purchase ranks to be automatically given some equipment or such?
    Is a shop/rank system even going to be integrated? I'm unsure of whether it would be a positive or negative for a Minecraft server.

Food for thought.

19. RainyKitsune

RainyKitsune Bark! VIP

Mojang's license agreement States that no pay to win systems can be in place, so you couldn't get equipment or gear in game using ranks. You'd have to have something like a closed server or something.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Squidd

Squidd VIP

I'd enjoy this a lot actually. +1 for Factions Gameplay.