A Serious Discussion Regarding the Irony of our "Serious" Community, as well as Fascism.

Discussion in 'TTT Discussion' started by Communion (1989) Putlockers HD Stream Eng Sub, May 20, 2015.

1. urisk2

urisk2 ~Rawr~ I'm a polar bear VIP

I don't think anyone is flaming. Senpai was... a little emotionally charged, true.
    But I think I have been calm and respectful throughout this.

Although I'll be honest I'm bored of it now anyway. This topic felt like a pretty small point anyway.

I don't mind letting it die but let's not lock it at OPs request ♡

2. Mr. Rogers

Mr. Rogers Lil Tokyo VIP Silver

This thread wont be locked unless it actually gets out of hand. (Or unless a higher up sees fit.) This is partly a discussion about locking these types of threads, and locking it would just be a blatant insult.

Continue thread discussion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Communion (1989) Putlockers HD Stream Eng Sub

Communion (1989) Putlockers HD Stream Eng Sub i'm thinking i'm thinking VIP

You appear to be misinterpreting me a few times here. First off, it wasn't "if we can't talk about sensitive topics, why is Darkrtooth allowed to post pictures of video game characters", I was addressing in specific the reason "there's no reason to talk about it, therefor don't" used while certain staff censor topics, and questioning why some things hold more merit in the shoutbox than others (i.e. why serious conversations have "no reason" to talk about them, while at the same time you posting 5 pictures of Falco without context is perceived to have more merit from certain staff viewpoints). This reason I brought up in specific is more about the wording of things. I really feel like some people need to work on their wording a bit when handling things like that. So, that's how that relates. As a question of which topics/things posted in the shoutbox hold enough merit to "have a reason to talk about them, and therefor be allowed to", as that reasoning annoyed me somewhat. The ""There's no need for you to know that." - Staff related situation or a confidentiality agreement." was stated by me in the OP to be perfectly fine:
    "and there's no reason to not let us know and discuss it except for the reasonings: that the person(s) in question does not want people to know: we should respect their right to privacy be it the case), or that it's something that is currently unsettled, and that would be hindered by discussion/people finding out about it too soon."

Second, If you read one or two of my later posts, you would see that I'm not upset that you guys aren't telling us why that member was banned. I talked to him, he doesn't want people to know, so I believe you're doing a nice thing to not publicly shame him if it was something bad. I was more than fine with that decision to withhold that information before I even thought about making this thread. It's just been a long time coming for me. It's not all about "what happened to so and so?", it's more so that certain topics are being completely censored when all they do is touch on a slight serious note (mostly speaking of in the shoutbox here), for instance, a week ago we had about 10 people talking about cigarettes and quitting smoking in the shoutbox, and even though there was no flaming or harassment and that the majority of the people talking in the shoutbox were not only enjoying the discussion to an extent, but also participating, we were told to stop talking about it by one staff member, and the conversation was quickly changed to pictures of kittens taking up the entire shoutbox instead. This is just one example that I am using, as it's recent, but stuff like this tends to happen often, and if you agree with me at all that a somewhat serious discussion void of flaming/harassment or drama should at least be allowed (or at least hold more merit then cat picture spam which take up the entire small shoutbox size), then I would personally really appreciate it if you could have a short discussion in the staff discussions forum and really make some clear rules for what should and shouldn't be censored.

To make my goals for this thread more achievable, I'll try to make them more realistic (and I truly thank all the staff in this thread who have pointed out what isn't, and why it isn't, as it's helped me to understand a little more).

1: Phrasing. When dealing with the censoring of certain discussions, make sure to give a good reason, and not "there's no reason to talk about that, therefor don't". Regarding the recent situation, as urisk2 said, saying something like "He has asked that the situation remain private", is very reasonable and understandable, and if you're like me, you'll accept that and move on.

2: Which topics are censored. As I stated with the cigarette example, not all censored topics are flame wars or overtly dramatic. Some are just more serious than cat pictures, and it would certainly be nice to have civilized discussions on them in the shoutbox when and if people wanted to without having their conversation stopped by a staff member.

3: When and how to censor topics. I realize that a lot of staff in here have made a pretty good case for censoring certain topics before they get heated, but I would still like to keep this in in the hopes that some discussion (in the staff discussions, hopefully), may come of it. I think the staff should really be stricter on those who starts flame wars/harassment. More punishments or warnings should be given so that these people learn that it's not okay to do that here, and not okay to turn discussions into heated arguments. With this in mind, topics should not be censored (well, one's that aren't allowed should). What SHOULD be censored is the members who create pointless arguments/drama. That is the best way to mature our community a little, I think. And I believe that would greatly help this entire situation regarding the stigma around "serious" discussions.

4: If what is truly wanted for the shoutbox is "light discussion only", then a rule or statement about that could be useful.

As for the title name, you're right, that was over the top (as I stated earlier to someone else in here). The title is stupid. Anyways, this is my last post in this thread, as I've stated and reiterated my thoughts many times over, and this last one should get the message across fine (plus it's going straight to a lead admin to read over, so that's very good, too). I would like it if the thread could be kept open, but would ask that any hostility be kept out.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  4. DieKasta

DieKasta :Blackalien: Forever VIP

My god. The irony of this topic getting locked because it got too heated would have been too much for me to handle

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. Smash

Smash Baka VIP Silver

I want you to take a good long at this thread and where it is at and headed. This is exactly why we stop things in the shoutbox before they get started. Everyone being able to give their input on a sensitive or controversial topic quickly becomes a "Fuck you, you're wrong I'm right." all around and false information and rumors get circulated.

It has already been stated that this community is run by Highwon and as such he has the right to withhold information, I see no reason to push this subject as obviously he has already decided what to be shared and to whom. Wether it be about the most recent or very first "incident" where information was not given nor the situation explained to the community doesn't matter. They(Highwon/Leads) don't want to tell you he wished to keep it private? Get over it. Honestly, you are acting like children who refuse to stop prying because they are curious. It is genuinly none of your business, why can you not accept that fact?

This. ^

Topics like that should not be conversed upon in shoutbox to begin with. This is a forum for a reason, to discuss things. Just like you made this thread to discuss how you think shoutbox should change. I see no reason to have an entire conversaiton about something like smoking when not only does it not apply to a majority of the player-base(assumed as average age)but it also can scare people off. There's no reason to hold a discussion like this which can be long and drawn out in shoutbox which is a lighthearted place to chat. Would you stand in the middle of the street shouting at your friend who is on the opposite sidewalk and hold an entire conversation about smoking on that sidewalk? It is a shoutbox, it's best to keep it that way.

This is my first and last post on the topic, you can make any arguments you would like however I will not reply. Have a good day.

• Dumb Dumb x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. ChibiBear

ChibiBear VIP

I cannot give rates so -Like x 1-

• Old Old x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. tz-

tz- feelin it VIP Emerald

Yo I thought this thread died.

• Old Old x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1