A Better ChatBox for ttt servers

Discussion in 'TTT Suggestions' started by Scooter, Jun 21, 2020.

?

A Better ChatBox for ttt

1. Yes

62.5%
  2. No

37.5%
  1. Scooter

Scooter Scooter#5335 VIP

I saw this while scrolling threw addons for Garry's mod and thought this would be a great add for the server

Link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1841694244

Better ChatBox that focuses on letting you make the ChatBox you want! BetterChat introduces channels, emotes, text modifiers, extensive per-channel settings, and even optional giphy support!

NOTES:
    • This chat requires ULX, and integrates the support very thoroughly.
    • To enable giphy support, you will need to generate a testing giphy key for your server.

Feature list:
    • Channels
      • Player
      • Team
      • Admin channel that integrates ulx asay
      • Group channels that can be user created and managed
      • Private Message channels that integrate ulx psay
      • Logs for admins, all messages from any channel, for all players are forwarded to this channel
      • Prints
    • Emotes (requires extract with gmad.exe to customize, see the github page for how to do this)
    • Giphy support (you will need to generate a beta API key here[developers.giphy.com])
    • Nicer text input (all the normal text shortcuts you'd expect from a full-text editor)
    • Autocomplete (with visible suggestions) on player names, ulx commands and emote names. Suggestions based on usage
    • Chat history
    • Clickable links
    • Discord style text modification (*italics*, **bold**, ~~strike-through~~, __underline__)
    • Text colouring, via [#rrggbb] (in hex, e.g. [#ff0000] for red), or [@red]. Colour tags set the text colour until the next colour tag. Use [#] to reset back to white.
      Example usage: [#ff0000]This is red, [@green]this is green, and [#]this is white :)
    • Extensive global and per-channel settings
    • Customizable player quick access menu (quickly run ulx commands or any custom command on players via a menu)
    • Fully integrated DarkRP Support (including groups, FAdmin, PM, etc.)
    • Ulx permission support for all special features (giphy, groups, text modification, etc. )
    and many more smaller features, you just gotta try it out to find them all! :D

If a player on your server does not like this chat, it can be disabled in Q->options->BetterChat without error.

Currently Known Compatible Addons:
    • DarkRP
    • ATags (with and without DarkRP)
    • And TTT

Planned features:
    • /code for gmod Lua syntax highlighting (like steam's /code)
    • Link pre-loading (simple website name acquired only by the sending client, for security)
    • An admin options menu to outright disable some features

Shortcuts:
    • Ctrl + s : Toggles current channel's settings panel
    • Ctrl + Shift + s : Toggles local player's quick access menu
    • Ctrl + e : Toggles emote menu
    • Ctrl + Backspace : Removes last word
    • Ctrl + Shift + Backspace : Removes all before caret
    • Ctrl + Tab : Next Channel (Or swap emote mode, when Emote menu open)
    • Ctrl + Shift + Tab : Previous Channel
    • Ctrl + 0,1 ...,9 : Select respective channel (Or insert respective emote, when emote menu open)
    • Ctrl + w : Close tab
    • Ctrl + o : Toggle open channel tab
    • Tab : Autocomplete

ConVars:
    All global settings are stored as ConVars, every convar can have it's default set on the server using "[ConVar]_default"
    Each of these settings can also be modified via Q->options->BetterChat, and will show more information on hover.
    This list contains all global settings ConVars:
    • bc_fadeTime : Time for a chat message to fade (0 for never)
    • bc_chatHistory : Number of messages received before old messages are deleted
    • bc_teamOpenPM : Should opening team chat open to most recent unread PM
    • bc_rememberChannel : Should betterchat remember your most recent channel when opening
    • bc_saveOpenChannels : Should channels from your previous session be re-opened on join
    • bc_channelNumShortcut : Should the shortcuts CTRL+[0-9] change channel
    • bc_acDisplay : Should autocomplete suggestions be showed in the text input
    • bc_acUsage : Should autocomplete order its suggestions based on your usage of them
    • bc_clickableLinks : Should any hyperlinks posted to chat be clickable
    • bc_printChannelEvents : Should messages like "Channel All created" be shown
    • bc_allowConsole : Should any message starting with '%' be run as a console command instead
    • bc_convertEmotes : Should emotes like ":)" be converted to their respective emoticon. Note this is purely client side, others will still see the emoticon
    • bc_showGifs : Should gifs from !giphy (if it is enabled) be rendered
    • bc_doPop : Should the chat ever play the Pop sound (based on other settings)
    • bc_doTick : Should the chat ever play the Tick sound (based on other settings)
    • bc_formatColors : Should colors typed in chat be displayed in their respective color
    This list contains all server settings ConVars:
    • bc_server_replaceTeam : Replaces team channels with a separately networked team channel (separate per team). This is useful for StarWarsRP-like servers, where players often change rank, and team chat is disabled by default.
    • bc_server_removeTeam : Disables the default team channel
    • bc_server_maxLength : Maximum message length, gmod's default is 126
    • bc_server_giphyKey : Set this if you wish to enable giphy support on your server. you will need to generate a beta API key here[developers.giphy.com] (it's free and easy, you will need to make an account though). then call bc_server_giphyKey [yourkey].
    • bc_server_giphyHourlyLimit : This defaults to 10, which I found to be a reasonable amount considering the limits on a beta API key. If your server does not have many players (or players don't often use this feature), feel free to increase this.
    ULX Permissions
    • bc_chatlogs : Enables the 'Logs' channel which receives all messages from groups, PM, team, etc.
    • bc_giphy : Ability to use !giphy if bc_server_giphykey is valid
    • bc_color : Ability to use [#ff0000]Red in chat
    • bc_groups : Ability to use BetterChat groups
    • bc_italics : Ability to use *italics* in chat
    • bc_bold : Ability to use **bold** in chat
    • bc_underline : Ability to use __underline__ in chat
    • bc_strike : Ability to use ~~strike~~ in chat

Extra
    All channels are limited by the ULX chat cooldown ConVar: ulx_chattime

Nice little features:
    • You can copy a text's colour in the right click menu
    • You can copy a player's full name or steam id by either right clicking their name in chat or in the player quick access menu
    • Left clicking on a players name in the player quick access menu lists all other players
    • Double clicking a player's name in the chatBox opens a private channel
    • You can also access settings of (and sometimes close) channels by right clicking the tab
    • You can close some channels by middle clicking the channel tab name
    • You can change which channel is displayed when the chat closes in channel settings
    • Renaming a group channel in its settings does so globally, all clients in the group will see that name
    • If you scroll up too far, a little "Back to the bottom" button will show up
    • You can choose which channels show prints (from addons like wiremod)
    • You can move the chatBox by dragging the top right corner, then right click this corner to return it to its default position

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Pokeben10

Pokeben10 tell me pretty lies Moderator VIP Silver

Looks pretty cool. Think it'd be cool for shoutbox, too, but this wouldn't be compatible with shoutbox. Unless...?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Confusing Confusing x 1
  3. LBPotatoes

LBPotatoes That’s so crunchy VIP

+1 I want to be able to have emotes with
    marthawasanaveragedog. She wentaërf&ærph&EEEERwhensheatesomealphabetsoup,thenwhathappenedwasbizarre

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Indy226

Indy226 Banned VIP Silver

If it wasn't complicated I'd say sure but it isn't and I like the current chatbox better so

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  5. Twitch.youtube.com.ttv/AAAAAAA911

Twitch.youtube.com.ttv/AAAAAAA911 Now you just somebody that I used to know VIP Silver

Big +1 from me. All of the servers I used to play on had this and it was great

6. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

seems kind of unnecessary. we already have all/team/admin chat. pm channels could lead to ghosting (as previously discussed). staff have access to chat logs so chat history isn't needed. don't need gifs/emotes spammed in chat. clickable links also worry me.
    also the creator of the mod said himself that "this chat doesn't currently support TTT" and spectators can speak to alive players, so hopefully you have a fix for this?

it's a plug-in for gmod, so how would it be compatible with shoutbox??

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. cynder

cynder ice queen VIP

it's prettyyy I want it

8. Santa Claus

Santa Claus Best Member VIP Bronze

Tl Dr +1

9. Pokeben10

Pokeben10 tell me pretty lies Moderator VIP Silver

yeah it was a joke ._.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Confusing Confusing x 1
  10. Coinston

Coinston "But what if Robots" - Chris Wedge VIP

This will help simulate what it's like with my friend blind in 1 eye -1 I like my see through

• Confusing Confusing x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. I feel like it'll be used for like 2 minutes before people get bored and nope out. Seems kinda pointless except to add emotes and make it more complicated. Then again, the team function might be useful. I have mixed feelings about this, but there wouldn't be a loss if it didn't make it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Scooter

Scooter Scooter#5335 VIP

what I love about this addon is If a player on the server does not like this better chat, it can be disabled.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Scooter

Scooter Scooter#5335 VIP

it actuality got ttt support on a recent update just look in change notes XD
    Update: Jun 1 @ 10:37am
    Added new text modification, formatting menu, TTT support, QoL things, and bug fixes

14. slaps

slaps VIP

h

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dodley27

Dodley27 Dolfin VIP Bronze