5 second "grace" period

Discussion in 'Rules and Protocol' started by BorkWoof, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Scotty

Scotty Heroes come and go, but legends are forever. VIP Bronze

Like Dolph1n has said above me and reminded me, this starts when the body is ided. The quote you pulled from is a report against Sith Master that Elvis had filed and it was for GBA. I'm not saying no one is immune from punishment from it. The reaction time of some of us are gonna be slower and we compensate for it. Some of us take longer to process information and even some of our games take longer for it to register as we all don't have great computers and even lag in game as well, some may even crash. The reason why I believe you pulled that quote from Opalium is to show that we have knee jerk reactions. Some have them, some don't. It's just depends on 3 things in my mind. Age is one, game time is another, and computer speed is the other.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Agent A

Agent A Veni, vidi, vici VIP Silver Emerald

Again, why should we not reward people who id'd the bodies and people who have quick processing in order to allow people who are slower to process the information to kill people that could've been easily preventable if they wait and observe what's going on. If the person killed an innocent, you're free to kill the person. If the person is a traitor, you just prevented a needless death. Speed is a core aspect of TTT, and some people are much quicker to absorb the information of what's going on. This speed is rewarded for some people in some gba situations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. DocFox

DocFox The Best Is Yet To Come VIP Silver Emerald

Came here to post that this was once suggested maybe 2 years ago or less by me; one of the original creators of the grace period. The original 5 second rule was what was decided upon with little thought.

The last time this was suggested, there was even a poll to see opinions.

https://www.seriousgmod.com/threads/the-grace-period.21127/

+0

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. Zikeji

Zikeji Repoleved VIP Emerald

I'd like to point out that those reaction time averages are from people expecting precise things to react to.

I'd suggest reading this: http://www.visualexpert.com/Resources/reactiontime.html

While I agree that 5 seconds is a little lax - the shoot first, ask questions later mentality is something that new players face and grow better with over time. By keeping it at 5 seconds, we don't alienate new players who haven't quite gotten used to the multitude of dynamics associated with that sort of situation.

In my opinion, experienced players can take preventive measures against the sort of situations that give this rule it's notoriety. Most of the time I see the "knee-jerk" reactions in situations where a player is chasing a traitor, has DNA on a traitor, or sees them pull out a T weapon. This used to happen to me all the time - I'd have DNA on a traitor, I'd track them down, then I'd kill them and get killed. My mistake is not involving other players. All situations are different, but many have different approaches you could have taken - like not gunning someone down in the middle of a crowd, and instead KoSing the traitor, being vocal about it, and then trying to take them out.

It's about changing the mindset of the players around you. We're all equipped with a mentality that anyone could be out to kill you as an innocent or detective. If you change that mindset and give people a target - they typically rush at the opportunity for a common enemy. Heck, even traitors use this to their advantage all the time. I'm sure we've all seen a skilled traitor walk in, KoS someone, and walk out before anyone can react or question what happened.

I'd encourage anyone who has trouble with this rule to try experimenting with the way they handle situations that can get you killed by a "knee-jerk" reaction. Make a mental note of what you did that got you killed, and try to change your strategy the next time.

Obviously what I'm saying doesn't apply to every situation or everyone's personal history with the issue, so take it with a grain of salt.

5. Daddy Nexxus

Daddy Nexxus Toxi-Fessional VIP

I'm really sorry, but if you need five seconds in the adrenaline pumping moments of TTT when you're traiting, detecting, etc then you're not a gamer. We do not need five whole seconds to say "Okay, that body he IDed was a Traitor, he's proven, I shouldn't shoot him".

I understand some of you are defending the point that "The five second grace period is to prevent the shoot-first ask question later" mentality. Here's the thing: the fact still stands. Five seconds is an incredibly long time in TTT. The reasonable recomendation to lower the time from five to three seconds should be seriously considered by the administration.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Carned

Carned ✘o ✘o VIP Silver Emerald

I'm sure everyone's been killed for killing a T who they've caught doing something, it's just part of the game.

As Zikeji has said above, communication is key, you can quite literally talk your way out of anything in this game, just ask @MiGGo. Telling people that he's a T is usually enough to stop you being shot, the people with quick reaction times using the 5 second period also usually have the same quick reaction to stop shooting you when they see the body IDed or hear you say something.

Honestly there's a lot of problems with the rules and stuff that causes frustrating gameplay but the grace period is something I've never seen issue or had problems with.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. JackThePumpkin

JackThePumpkin VIP Bronze

If it's that big of a problem just communicate like people said above me, take out the person away from the crowds if possible or quickly id the body and get ready for another firefight instead of just taking it like a little bitch and then complaining about it.

After all, your reflexes are faster, aren't they?

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  8. Temar

Temar Administrator VIP

The main perpose for 5 second rule is for the confusion of who you just killed
    playerA kills PlayerB, PlayerC kills PlayerA but then notices PlayerB was a traitor
    so altho PlayerA killed a T and was proven due to confusion and people just reacting its NOT rdm if with in 5 seconds
    If PlayerB turns out to be inno the 5 second rule isnt relevant because you just saw them kill an inno

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. BorkWoof

BorkWoof VIP

When I'm in a firefight with a traitor and then I kill him and I ID his body I:
    -Am unloaded, stuck with a pistol
    -Get screwed by the very strong guns in this game such as, SL8, AK-47, or even an HK416. They can choose when to inject lead into my face. That one highly damaging headshot from an AK can already put me at a massive disadvantage

Literally has never happened to me, ppl take no chances. "Surely, he's not attacking me, but he killed someone, I don't know the role of the dead guy even though he was just identified! NO CHANCES! FIRE AT IT!"

10. BorkWoof

BorkWoof VIP

i would like other people's take on this minor but nice rule change

11. dude85632

dude85632 VIP

Ok. Here's one reason why 5 seconds isn't too long. When someone identifies a body, id doesnt always immediately pop up in the upper right hand corner. If lots of people are identifying bodies, then it's going to take a while for the killed person's body identification to appear. "Well you can just inspect the body yourself!" Yes you can but who would risk that after the person next to you had just killed them?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. BorkWoof

BorkWoof VIP

press tab gg simple

13. dude85632

dude85632 VIP

Sometimes a traitor will kill one person and take the confusion to their advantage and escape. Shooting another person would break the confusion and people would realize that they were a traitor quicker. (That is if people don't shoot the traitor for killing the first person, taking the 5 second rule out of play in this example.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. dude85632

dude85632 VIP

And have to look through the names while near a killer?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. BorkWoof

BorkWoof VIP

Step 1) figure out the name of dead body
    Step 2) look at red highlighted names under "dead"
    Step 3) if the name of the dead body isnt highlighted red gg ez kill him

spamming crouch jump or strafe helps (y)

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. dude85632

dude85632 VIP

Even then. That takes 3 or 5 seconds. So you're point has just been invalidated via yourself. I don't know why you are so angry about this "spam crouch jump". Crouching followed by jumping makes you harder to hit. It's not a glitch. It's a strategy.

17. BorkWoof

BorkWoof VIP

um mid round usually 4 - 5 traitors are dead, i dont see how hard it is to check 5 highlighted names in less than 5 seconds
    its fucking obnoxious when someone spams crouch jump and sprays the ak, nonetheless it's a strategy

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  18. dude85632

dude85632 VIP

Um...People aren't only killed in mid-round....Otherwise people wouldnt be dead.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. BorkWoof

BorkWoof VIP

start of round its even easier to do my master plan
    end of round just adds like 3 ppl to the roster nothing much

20. dude85632

dude85632 VIP

Still. Looking at tab takes time.

• Agree Agree x 1