5 second "grace" period

Discussion in 'Rules and Protocol' started by BorkWoof, Jul 9, 2017.

1. BorkWoof

BorkWoof VIP

this rule isn't coolio. "Hey dude, did you follow a KOS and shutdown a traitor? Oh, that's unforunate, because you have a fucking "KILL ME!" sign on you for 5 seconds" "Did you kill some assaholic rdmer in self-defense, with me witnessing the enirety of the situation? I really don't care, I have 5 seconds to pop you"

The rule's ok-ish, but all it has done to me is start RDM chains. Can the time period be reduced to like 3 seconds? k thx. 5 seconds doesn't seem like much on paper, but it is. cos like when you are in a very i n t e n s e murder situation, it feels like a VERY LONG TIME.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Disagree Disagree x 7
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • Dumb Dumb x 3
  2. stakkuu

stakkuu VIP

+1 if you think about it, 5 seconds is a hella long time. Like, 2 or 3 seconds is plenty of time, and most of the "killing you because you killed this guy" happens within the first second or two anyway.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Scotty

Scotty Heroes come and go, but legends are forever. VIP Bronze

Alright, this is in place to compensate for confusion. Say there is a kos on you and I kill you, but Luna doesn't realize that I killed you and starts to shoot me and kills me. It allows confusion and reflexs to happen as we don't know the whole situation as what Luna saw was me killing you, not knowing it was you. Does that make sense?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. BorkWoof

BorkWoof VIP

ok but 5 seconds is way too fucking long

and its way too fucking punishing against people who actually read the chat and listen to voice callouts

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dolph1n

Dolph1n Time is an adventure- if you know when to look. Banned Elite

This community's rules are supposed to prevent the mindset of "shoot first, ask questions later", and so forcing people to check what role someone is after they get shot is part of that mentality.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Scotty

Some of us have slower reaction times then others. I'll give a situation, I killed you and I'm a distance from your body. Luna drops down from the reporter in 67th way and sees me walking towards your body as your body is falling and I'm reloading. It's gonna be longer than 2 to 3 seconds for some people but not all. Myself I can do it very quickly, but say someone like Luna who may be slower than me need that extra second or two. We compensate for the new players to the community. Now if abused to get kills and done too many times could get them banned for toxic gameplay.

7. -1

This rule is put in place for good reason, most players shoot first ask questions later, just as Dolph1n said, I feel as if this rule saves people from slays and also helps clear up confusion, so that is why I am giving this -1.

Quick note, I do not think the time should be reduced seeing as Destiny is correct, slower players need the extra seconds, new and old alike, I feel as if it's just better if the rules stay as they are now.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. Dolph1n

The 5 seconds starts when you identify the body, not when you kill them.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Scotty

RIP yeah I remembered that but forgot that when I was typing.

10. Cash

Cash I staff the proper way Banned VIP

You calling luna slow? ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. BorkWoof

BorkWoof VIP

for what...?

12. Scotty

To react, we all don't have the quick shot and go after it. Some of us take longer for information to process in our heads.

13. BorkWoof

BorkWoof VIP

5 seconds to look at the upper right screen and see what role the dead guy is..?

14. Scotty

Believe it or not yes, some process information slower and the server compensates for that.

15. Agent A

Agent A Veni, vidi, vici VIP Silver Emerald

I don't think reaction time should be the main focus. Based on this,
    This still remains true. The only difference is the current GBA rule addition is designed to prevent people from have knee jerk reaction and passing it off as gba.

So why shouldn't this design apply to 5 second grace rule period. The current 5 second grace period is designed to protect people from being slain for rdm for having a knee jerk reaction to the killing done. Abusing it can result in punishments. Why should the slower players or people who don't pay attention to what's going on and don't bother to do so beyond the grace period should be excluded from this school of thinking?

Just curious to see your explanation to this.

16. Dolph1n

Because 5 seconds encourages shooting first and asking questions later, which is what the community's rules set out to protect against. I'm not against a grace period, but 5 seconds is too long. Three seconds is enough.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Agent A

Agent A Veni, vidi, vici VIP Silver Emerald

I can understand that, but I want to see @Destiny Blade 's explanation, which is why I quoted him.

• Informative Informative x 2
  18. BorkWoof

BorkWoof VIP

I don't understand what you're saying???

19. I misunderstood what your proposal was, as you can see I edited it to fit my understanding of it, I thought you were proposing to get rid of the grace period entirely, but I still must give it -1.

20. BorkWoof

BorkWoof VIP

I still don't understand what you're saying.
    he said the rules deny that mindset???
    so...?
    what confusion?
    read agent's post pls and thank you idk how to quote the quoted section