SGM Round-Robin Chess Tournament!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by BlueCore, Nov 19, 2016.

1. BlueCore

BlueCore Onward and Upward Banned VIP

[​IMG]
    Greetings to all, and welcome to Serious GMod’s first Chess Tournament!
    This tournament offers a new and unique way for members of the community to test their skills and their minds against each other, and is designed to be a fun and friendly competition.

Once final player-counts are sorted I will put together a round call sheet for the first round, and then periodically round call sheets for the next round after each is completed. In short, round call sheets are who you will be versing, and what side you will be playing for that round.

The way the games will run is that once the round call sheets are completed and made public, each pair of players versing each other must organise a time between the both of them to play their game. Each pair must complete their match within five days.

If you do not make your match, or do not communicate a time with your opponent for your match, that match will be forfeit and your opponent will receive a win.

The results of each round will be made public on this thread at the same time as the next round call sheets are given out. The progressive scoreboard will be posted into another thread to avoid clutter - but please keeps messages on that thread to a minimum.

If you win your match, you will receive 1 point, if you draw, 0.5 of a point, and if you lose you will not receive a point for that match. The player with the most points at the end of the tournament wins – the players’ with the 2nd and 3rd highest scores will come 2nd and 3rd place respectively.

If two or more players have equal score, I will decide at my discretion the match styles the finale players will compete in.

Tournament Schedule:

In short, every week is a new round in the tournament, which you will be required to play one match against a single opponent. You will get five days to complete your match – Monday through until Friday each week.

Because of the duration of the tournament and the time allocated for each match, the tournament will not finish until mid-February next year.

5th – 9th of December

Round 1

12th – 16th of December

Round 2

19th – 23rd of December

Round 3

*No Round during Christmas break – 25th of December to the 1st of January, 2017*

2nd – 6th of January, 2017

Round 4

16th – 20th of January
    Round 5

23rd – 27th of January

Round 6

30th of January – 3rd of February

Round 7

6th – 10th of February

Round 8

13th – 17th of February

Round 9

20th – 24th of February

Reserved for Grand Final if highest scorers are tied

Rules:
    • Normal chess rules apply, please make sure to familiarise yourself with the game and the rules. In addition, I can assist in questions about the rules of the game or basic tactics and strategy
    • The length of play being 30 minutes per player plus 15 seconds per move is not negotiable. However, the website you will be playing your match on does offer you to give your opponent an extra 15 seconds infinitely. You may use this tool at your discretion. Please allow at minimum one hour for each match.
    • You may not use a third party (whether it is an application or person) to assist your match-in-progress in any way. If you are caught doing so, you may be removed from the competition and its prizes.
    • Spectators may watch your game in progress, but cannot offer any advice or suggestion on the match-in-progress. Doing so can result in their removal from the tournament if they are participating within it. If not, they may be reprimanded in another way.
    • This tournament will not tolerate harassment of any kind, if someone is found to be harassing, disrespecting, or making fun of another participant extensively, they may be removed from the tournament.
    Where to play:

The matches will be played on a chess hosting website called Lichess, and the results of each game must be submitted back to me, along with a link to the game itself. This is so I can create a script of each game, with an analysis of each move played.

The website is linked here. Please note, you do not need to sign up to the site in order to play your matches.

How to use Lichess:

The website is very simple to navigate and should hopefully cause no hassles. However, if you haven’t used it before I have attached below some steps on how to get your game started.

[​IMG]
    Once you’re on the website, you’ll see a wall of open matches that you can join. Ignore them, and instead on the right side of your screen click the 2nd button down – “Play with a friend”

[​IMG]
    You will then be given this screen. The first thing you will need to do is change the Time Control to “Real Time”.

Next, slide the Minutes per side to “30”, and the Increment in seconds to “15”.

Lastly, you will need to select what side you are playing on. If you are white, hit the white queen on the right, or, if you are playing black hit the black queen on the left.

[​IMG]
    On the next screen you will be given a popup window with a link to the game. Give this link to your opponent so you can being your match.

People may join the game whilst you are both playing to spectate. However, make sure that you begin the match with your opponent before giving the link out.

[​IMG]
    You are now ready to begin your game! After you both make your first moves the clock will start. The board itself is relatively simple to use; you click a piece and you will get all the possible positions you can place it.

On the right you have both your clock and your opponents, marked in green. In addition, you will see a list of every one made where it is marked orange.

The arrow in red indicates the “Resign” button, hit this button twice in play if you want to surrender the game to your opponent.

The arrow in blue indicates the “Draw” button. Hitting this will send a request to your opponent asking for a draw, they can either accept or deny this.

The button on the far left at the start will look like a cross. However, once both players have made a move it should change. This button should now be a “Takeback Offer”. This will send a message to your opponent asking for the last move on either side to be taken back – which they can accept or deny.

And that’s it! You should now be able to successfully play your match of chess without hassles.

Prizes:

Whilst this is a friendly and fun competition, prizes will still be awarded to the three players with the top scores. The prizes themselves are as follows;

1st place
    $50USD for a steam game/s

2nd Place
    $30USD for a steam game/s

3rd Place
    A $20 SGM rank for you or a friend​

I will be hosting the tournament – meaning I will be your main point of contact if you have any questions or concerns, or are having difficulty organising a time to play your match with your opponent.

So if you want to give this tournament a go feel free to leave a message below or to message me privately!

Lastly, whilst difficult, it may be possible to join the tournament after its commencement. But to do so you must contact me directly, and even so I cannot guarantee a position depending on how far into it we are.

Public entries close 5pm ACDT, the 2nd of December.

If you have any questions or are unclear about anything feel free to shoot me a message.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 13
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Sirhymfer

Sirhymfer Supporter

sign me up.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Jaysu

Jaysu BAMF VIP

Yooooooooooooo I am pumped. Sign me the fuck up.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

15 seconds per move? Lol i'll never be that fast haha.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. CorallocinB

CorallocinB Animeme lord VIP Silver Emerald

I'll be in

as long as I'm not insanely bz y'all doin this near finals n' shit boi

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Renko

Renko VIP Iron

I don't know if i can join with this ............

7. Rhienor

Rhienor Integrity VIP

Signed me up, hoping I can practice some more. Sick of being beaten by you Blue :(

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Jässa

Jässa Thick thighs save lives VIP

Ill join

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Graze

Graze Zzz... VIP Silver

I'll try why not?

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Dani

Dani Impersonating Staff Banned VIP

I usually take a few days for each move but sign me up as well! There's no shame in losing. (There is.)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. GunAndBomb

GunAndBomb Explosive Banned VIP

I'm in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Let's do this

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Sith Master

Sith Master An individual may die, but the Sith are eternal Banned Gold VIP Emerald

I shall join as well

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Ichikunjii

Ichikunjii Vous avez changé VIP Iron

And I was about to start a thread like this. I'll join :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Mason

Mason Banned VIP Silver

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Silent Rebel

Silent Rebel Lead Shitposter VIP

this would be awesome. I'd love to participate! One concern; what if the player you matched with has a conflicting schedule? Let's say I match with some Aussie people, there's no way we'd be able to figure out a reasonable time if we are both busy people.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. ForcaNL

ForcaNL New Member

To avoid confusing +15 means you get 15 extra seconds on the clock after every move.

Sign me up :D

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Machinekiller00

Machinekiller00 I <3 Gunter VIP Silver

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. tz-

tz- feelin it VIP Emerald

i have a basic understanding of chess sign me the fuck up

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. I'm in :ROFLMAO: