Answered Question about giveaways.

Discussion in 'Questions & Answers' started by The Infamous Doc Holiday, Jan 5, 2017.

1. So, I was looking at the giveaways subforum and the rules for giveaways. I noticed something that seemed a bit odd to me.

So, I saw that people are doing giveaways of Steam games, meaning they are gifting Steam games to the winners of the giveaway.

In the rules for giveaways, it states that giving away wallet codes is forbidden. I am assuming this refers to Steam wallet codes.

So I am curious: If it is allowable to give away games, i.e purchasing stuff for someone, why is it not allowed to give away wallet codes? If the philanthropist just PMs the winner the code, why is it a biggie? I don't see a problem. But that's why I am asking I guess :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. twitch.tv/echostorm2k ⚔️

twitch.tv/echostorm2k ⚔️ screwdriver Banned VIP Silver

I guess it's because the wallet code may be used or broke, in which case the whole giveaway is for nothing.
    In the rules it also says you must go on with the giveaway.

3. Steve Mason

Steve Mason Honesty. Banned Gold VIP

I wasn't around the time when that new rule was added, but I'm guessing something had happened before to result in that change. To add on to what Echo said the code that the giver gave could be used it refunded and or something or that sort which defeats the purpose of the giveaway. If you have a steam wallet code just use it on your account and then gift the game on steam? That's a workaround and still works out. Codes in my opinion are iffy and something of this sort must've happened in the past which resulted in this rule change.

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yeah, but what if someone wants to buy a shit ton of stuff on the market or something and doesn't want to hassle with trading with the giveaway sponsor? And in the rules, it states that someone who is found to not follow through with his giveaways will be punished. The same could be done to people who don't give out good codes.

I'm not really lobbying for this rule to be changed, I just think it doesn't make any sense.

5. Daddy Nexxus

Daddy Nexxus Toxi-Fessional VIP

Broseph, it's online. There are no federal regulations in United States law prohibiting online gambling. Not that I would even call this gambling.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  6. Sage.

Sage. VIP Silver Emerald

I'm sorry: I meant to specify Illegal Lottery.

The easiest and most controllable way to prevent ALL giveaways from consisting of all three factors: forbid any sell-able merchandise (gift cards; wallet codes). Since you can't re-sell steam games that are gifted, it doesn't fit under that category, thus making it within legal conduct. That's a reason as to why we don't officially or unofficially sell points, otherwise point giveaways would turn into an illegal lottery.

While my previous post did contain some merit, it was irrelevant.

7. Daddy Nexxus

I mean a copy paste from a website is nice and all (from one state). But, could you point us to the U.S.C that states it's illegal to hand out $5 to a lucky winner of a random number generator on a video game forum?

8. Daddy Nexxus

By the way, I'm not trying to sound like a jerk or anything. I studied law in the academy and am proficient in interpreting U.S.C, state law/statutes and otherwise. I always see people throwing the word "illegal" around on the internet to describe things when it's not actually illegal at all, or otherwise not able to be prosecuted.

9. Sage.

Sage. VIP Silver Emerald

I wrote it in my own words.

Anyways, this site is accessible worldwide. Therefor, we can't be breaking any laws regulated throughout it. Whether it's in one state or all is irrelevant. However, another other option would be to disable users to have access to the forums from those locations. Although, I'm sure you understand the reasoning behind choosing the first option instead.

10. Daddy Nexxus

See, that's not correct. Another misconception. Suffice it to say, it wouldn't be illegal.

Would a civil suit be possible? Sure you can say you verbally/contractually agreed upon receiving the money for performing a certain act and they went back on their word, but this would be a civil suit, it's not illegal.

11. Sage.

Sage. VIP Silver Emerald

I'm not talking about users going back on their agreement. I'm talking about players fulfilling all three consisting factors of illegal lottery, and why we can't allow it. We would be a liable asset for allowing it to happen, which is why we must clearly state against it, and find a solution for it not to happen again-- if it ever does.

12. Daddy Nexxus

Yeah.. That's a state law from Ohio.... For businesses.... Like I said, it's not illegal for someone to give away money based on a random number generator here. It's not illegal. There's no ifs ands or buts about that. It's not illegal. I'm not providing a personal opinion on it, I'm not googling something and finding this out. I am reading this from U.S.C and personal experience/knowledge and informing you it's not illegal.

13. Sage.

Sage. VIP Silver Emerald

Which of the three factors would it not be fulfilling?

14. Daddy Nexxus

The page you copied this from is likely not a .gov or .edu website, therefore anything on it shouldn't be taken in to account as weight of law. Secondly, it clearly states that those factors have to be considered when you're a business, this is not a business.

15. Zypther

Zypther #SuitUp VIP Bronze Iron

You realize that what he quoted is why csgo gambling sites were closed and dhut down right?

So yeah, even if it isn't. It is a federal law. No one under the age of 21 can gamble. Meaning everyone in that giveaway has to be 21. What if I lied about my age. Gg law broken SeriousGmod gets fined a ton and highwon if he didn't separate sgmod from himself by making it an llc so he can't be sued if something happens on serious gmod.

So it is much better to just not have to deal with it, and not take a stupid risk.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  16. Daddy Nexxus

You're wrong. That case was dismissed. Also, it was a civil suit, meaning nobody was arrested for breaking any laws.

Edit: Also, seeing as how I'm arguing with ignorant people, I will not be replying any more. Please don't take offense to this. You simply aren't educated in law or similar to understand the way it's handled. I'm not arguing for or against allowed any gambling/lottery/etc. But to sit there and say it's illegal is ignorant. Please do some reading and you will understand why it's not illegal. Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  17. Zack

Zack Shepherd of Fire VIP

Couple of things wrong with what you've said, Zyp.

1) Gambling implies some risk of loss on the behalf of the entry party, ( the person entering one of our giveaways ), and that doesn't happen in any format. You are throwing your name in to a hat, essentially, and you risk nothing. There is no gamble involved. By definition, gambling requires a risk of loss. This is not and will never be considered that, so no age limit would ever be necessary.

2) Sage was referring to a type of lottery and even that doesn't hold true here, as the consideration factor isn't there. SGM is not a business, and stands to gain absolutely nothing of monetary or even non-monetary value by people clicking ratings in a thread. The entirety of these arguments is moot, without these two important factors.

In regards to the initial question, it was answered best when someone expressed that the codes can be bunk, potentially. Aside from that, there's no other trouble or real difference, it's just a more direct and reliable way to give something away.

• Informative Informative x 1