Nerfing the AK-47

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by RhazhBash, Jan 5, 2017.

1. CorallocinB

CorallocinB Animeme lord VIP Silver Emerald

Yea sure, any gun requires more skill at a longer distance, but that doesnt mean that the gun itself must have a high skill ceiling to use properly. Maybe effectively, but at a reasonable distance anyone can use it.

Also I make comments on the AK and not frags because I primarily play vanilla.

2. Dolph1n

Dolph1n Time is an adventure- if you know when to look. Banned Elite

The AK is way harder to use at a long range than most guns because of its ridiculous recoil. The skill required in using an AK is being able to effectively close distance between you and your target, and also being able to control recoil. In my eyes, the AK is a high-skill, high-reward gun. If you're able to, like I said earlier, effectively close distance between you and your target and control recoil, you'll reap a huge reward by being able to mow down crowds.

3. Lone Wanderer

Lone Wanderer The One and Only VIP

The reason I think the AK is the deadliest weapon is because of its DPS, but also because of the effect its recoil can have if you use it to your advantage.

The simplest strategy for the gun is to aim at the person's center of mass, start firing, and the recoil simply carries you up to a headshot, which is easily going to finish someone off after you've put 2-3 shots into their body. As a result of that simple, effective use of the gun, it can pretty much melt anyone at close to medium range within a second or 2. I can't tell you how many times I've been killed by someone with an AK even though they don't go for a straight headshot, and I don't get a chance to react. That could be said about a lot of guns, especially if you go for a headshot, but it happens a lot more frequently with the AK then it does with other weapons.

I don't necessarily think that strategy is overpowered, as you're using the heavy recoil of the gun to your advantage. That being said, I think the fire rate is a little fast. As Pacifist said, you can dump a whole clip in a few seconds. That certainly could be a disadvantage if you don't use it right, but for people who know how to manage the gun, they canecimate a hallway/small room full of people. I'd argue that no other gun in the game comes close to the AK's ability to clear a large group of players with how much damage you can do with the AK in such a short period of time. It's an absolute monster for killing groups.

I'm in agreement with people here that think the gun needs a nerf. I don't really know what aspect of the gun you could tackle to rein it in, but as it is, I see it as being a bit ridiculous, especially those confined group situations I was talking about. I mean, weapons like the HUGE and the Mac-10, which are almost exclusively close range weapons, don't even come close to the killing power of the AK in close range, and I wouldn't consider the AK to be a close range weapon.

As for the people claiming the AK-47 requires skill; it really does require a certain mastery of the weapon to make it the dangerous, overpowered weapon people want to nerf. But the problem is that it seems to have a much higher ceiling than a lot of other weapons of the game. Certainly, it isn't as good at long range as other ARs; you can try and burst and account for accuracy, but I'd wager that in most cases, you'd probably lose to people with HKs, actual rifles or things like the Honey Badger. But, as I said, the AK has a ridiculously high ceiling, and I can't reiterate enough that it's ridiculously powerful at clearing groups at close range due to its high damage and high rate of fire.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Santa Claus

Santa Claus Best Member VIP Bronze

All the people who use the AK are super butt hurt about this thread.

I use it all the time and something needs to change.

I can snipe people with it if I need so don't say it has bad range.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. RhazhBash

RhazhBash Professional Button Presser VIP

Dolph1n the AK is strong because it keeps it's DPS even if you aren't good at hitting your target. Gun's video is a good example of that.

6. Dolph1n

So basically what you're saying is if I'm good at hitting my target(eg 75% hit rate), I'll do the same damage as if I'm trash at FPSes(eg 30% hit rate).

Each AK shot does 25, so if I hit 75% of my shots and I unload 4 bullets from a clip I do 75 damage because 3*25=75.

If I hit 30% of my shots, then I'll do 25 damage over the course of 4 bullets because 30% of 4 is 1.2, rounded down is 1, and 1*25=25.

I'm no math genius, but I'm pretty sure 75=/=25.

And as for Gun's video, that's what happens when you stand right in the face of an AK user. Assault rifles and SMGs excel at short-medium range combat, so if you want to beat them just don't stand in kissing range of their wielder. Not that hard.

7. RhazhBash

What I'm saying is that someone who can't aim that uses the AK is about as effective as someone who hits around 85% of their shots with most other guns.

8. Dolph1n

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There's the part about 85% with other guns, now here's the part with shitty aim with an AK.

In this clip I used a steam controller to play Gmod.

[​IMG]

So yeah, the AK is op. Nerf pls.

9. Salem

Salem VIP

Welp guess I have to learn how to use other weapons.

10. AAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAA coolgamer VIP

If you are playing with a controller (practically no recoil control) then no shit are you going to do better with the gun that has very little recoil. And if you are going to try to turn this into ''M4A4 can 2-hit headshot as well so AK is not OP'', the M4a4 does like 15dmg to the chest (the weapon is new so it's not in the list, unsure what the correct numbers are), making it really ineffective when not aiming for the head. The AK on the other hand does massive damage no matter where you aim.

11. RhazhBash

One person using a controller they can't aim with isn't a good example. I told you to look at Gun's video to see how much you can miss and still be able to mow down multiple targets. You're acting like the third GIF is how everyone uses the AK when Gun's video is way more accurate.

Lol milo the KAC and M4 are really fun.

12. Mr Butters

Mr Butters For a few to be immortal, many must die. VIP

Dude the gun isnt even that powerful, aim with pretty much any gun you win.

13. Santa Claus

Yeah the gun with the highest DPS isnt even that powerful lol. good one~!

14. Dolph1n

You just proved my point.

The AK takes skill because you have to control recoil. If you can't, then my 3rd gif occurs. You get shit on. If you CAN control recoil, then you go on a chainsaw AK-47 massacre.

15. Dolph1n

Also the highest recoil out of any gun in its class.

16. RhazhBash

Controlling the recoil on the AK isn't difficult.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Mr Butters

I didnt say it wasnt strong, I just think you guys are making a big deal out of nothing, nerf it, give it a month and you will all be crying over the next gun.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Santa Claus

Please stop talking about recoil. It's not that hard to handle.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Mr Butters

@Milo kek

• Creative Creative x 1
  20. RhazhBash