Bhop 101

Discussion in 'Deathrun Discussion' started by ryan4win, Jul 31, 2015.

1. ryan4win

ryan4win I was supposed to do great things Banned VIP+ Silver

Hello everyone, ever since the release of the DR server, i've heard people ask "How do I bhop?" Well I am going to be making a tutorial on how to.

The main point in bhopping is go gain speed, the two easiest ways to gain speed are "circle hopping" and "figure 8 hopping" I personally prefer to figure 8 hop. To circle hop you hold space-bar and continuously move your mouse to either the left or the right to make a circle shape. To figure 8 hop you hold space-bar and move your mouse in a 8 movement, since this method may be a little confusing here is a video of me doing it. Doing this is called pre-speeding

The first thing you are probably going to do it hold w and space-bar, the thing wrong with this is that holding w prevents you from gaining speed, you reach a certain speed and stay there. Do not even use w unless you are starting off your pre-speed.

After you have gained enough speed that's when you can stop whichever figure you are doing and start progressing throughout the map, remember to move your mouse from left to right while in the air to continue gaining speed, also when you land while moving to the left press a and when you move to the right press d doing this successfully will help you reach higher speeds.

There is also another tip for the more advanced players, this tip is wiggling. Wiggling makes the statement above a little bit harder, as you can see in the video I finished pre-speeding and then I started to go throughout the map, in-between jumps you can see me moving my mouse back and forth before I reach the ground, doing this increases your overall velocity and helps you move faster than you would without wiggling.

Feel free to add anything I missed in the comments!

Good luck, maybe one day we will all be able to do this!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    • Useful x 8
    • Like x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Dumb x 1
  2. Arcanius

Arcanius Oh, you like it there VIP

okay

• Dumb Dumb x 7
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. Darktooth

Darktooth I was #1 VIP

I prefer to figure 8 as well. Circle hopping is really hard to be consistent with.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. bronjam

bronjam VIP

Well written post. IMO doing the figure 8 for pre speed and maintaing speed is what I find best for bhopping.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. CDriscoll

CDriscoll Lemme advise you VIP Bronze

Figure 8 is pretty easy to start off with. Add me to that list!

Good thread for people who want to learn how to bhop

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Red

Red Harbinger of Arceus VIP

Circling for me is the best thing to prespeed. You basically stick to one side and do constant mouse glides, and then release in the direction you want to go. Figure 8s are much more effective in cramped areas, so there's that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. my mouse movements are aids so i have to bhop in a massive circle lol. thank you for the guide anyways

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Is it suppose to be this easy?!!

Edit: I think I got it down. Sign me up the be a teacher!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Smash

Smash Baka VIP Silver

I prefer circle strafing for pre-speed. I'll upload a video at some point tomorrow probably, aswell as -hopefully- a video on some of the deathrun maps and bhopping.

EDIT: After upping my DPI back to what I use to bhop in CS:confused: I can't circle strafe as easily bcuz sens. Moral of the story, circle strafe=low dpi, figure 8=high dpi.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. s1rcool

s1rcool Active Member VIP

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Turquoise

Turquoise Princess of Vanilla VIP

While this may not exactly pertain to Deathrun, it might help you a little bit. Just don't go insane with strafing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Deadzero

Deadzero VIP

The thing is about bhoping in gmod is worst than cs and if you really want to go learn bhop go css or cs:go (easymode)

• Dumb Dumb x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. IcE.Cream

IcE.Cream VIP Bronze

That's because you are a scrub.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  14. Icey™

Icey™ Bronze

One tip is to crouch when doing risky jumps. Some people, including myself, bhop whilst crouching so that if we undershoot a jump, we can still make it and keep our speed. Another thing, for people who can't keep their speed, you have to use a and d only, and only press w at the "initial jump". You have to keep your strafes on sync with your mouse, press a while moving your mouse left, and same with d and mouse moving right. If you press d, then a half second later move your mouse right, you are not in sync, and same with moving left. Hope I helped some of the newbies, if you have any questions just ask me =)

• Old Old x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Niclas

Niclas hióa

There is no need to press W at all if you're going to bhop normally, if you're a CS:confused: bhopper (like me), you know all the modes only require one key and that's the one you're pressing. Bhopping is a simple yet hard to do movement, the only thing you need to do is to strafe and press a key to strafe with, for example if you're using A you can both strafe left and right, but normally you strafe left with the A key and right with the D key. What you do is keep in sync with the movements and the strafing to gain more velocity to reach the place you're going to faster. My only tip is to practice bhop more, watch good bhoppers and bhop times on youtube. But remember, no one is a god within a few weeks. If you need any helps/tips you can add me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Icey™

Icey™ Bronze

Well, yeah, I bhopped in CSS as well, it doesn't matter if you use w, but for beginners, it is a bit easier, but you can just prespeed and never touch w, which is what I do now, but if I don't prespeed, sometimes I do press w.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  17. Bear

Bear Meow VIP

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Marth

Marth You'll definitely forget Rozboon. Supporter

+left

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  19. Viral☣

Viral☣ I'm the hero that Deathrun deserves! VIP Silver

I'm not sure if +left works on our server,it's not a common thing on many other servers and not many people know about it.Im not sure but I think @Tinbuster00 and Casual Pleb know if we have it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. tz-

tz- feelin it VIP Emerald

We do, but sometimes using +left or +right binds to pre-speed isn't the best idea unless you change your cl_yawspeed. What that does is make +left or +right turn faster to make smaller circles while bhopping letting you get more velocity faster. I forget what yawspeed is good for pre-speeding but you can probably figure it out by messing with it a little bit.

• Agree Agree x 1